Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random reboots while playing certain games

23 Nov 2012   #1
werdna87

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Random reboots while playing certain games

So i have been having this issue for a while and have no idea what could be causing it. I built myself a new rig in September, and certain games have not worked since. My specs are:
I5 3570K
XFX 4850 1GB
400W corsair PSU
ASRock Extreme4 7ZZ
2X 4GB GSkill Ares DDR3 RAM

What happens is the computer just reboots while playing some games. No warning, no blue screen, it just restarts as if the reset switch is being hit. It happens on games built on cryengine and unreal engine AFAK (happened on bioshock, and crysis 2). It does not happen on other games (like Just Cause 2) that are just as power intensive though so i am kind of confused about that. I just installed a clean win7 Ultimate hoping it would fix my issues but it didnt.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Nov 2012   #2
Chalky Emultion

 

Your PSU could be the problem. You need a more powerful PSU I think...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2012   #3
werdna87

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Your PSU could be the problem. You need a more powerful PSU I think...
Dont think that is the problem as the max power i have ever seen it pull was 280W
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Nov 2012   #4
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

You need to disable the Automatic Restart when the system fails... I do believe there are two ways you can do this.

There is an image here (mid section)... Blue Screen on startup then computer restarts - Windows-XP-General-Discussion - Windows-XP

How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

Once you see the BSOD and the error code, it will be easier to see what the problem is.

If you have already updated your Audio and Video drivers correctly, the ones that come with the mobo CD are outdated and the ones you can install with Windows Update are more Generic than anything else. In case you don't know... you must uninstall the drivers in the Device Manager, restart and then install fresh copies of each direct from the manufacturer.

You should also check the minimum requirements of your video card when it comes to power... if the PSU you have is not of a good brand, there could be an issue as well even though you say it does not pull that much power.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2012   #5
werdna87

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
You need to disable the Automatic Restart when the system fails... I do believe there are two ways you can do this.

There is an image here (mid section)... Blue Screen on startup then computer restarts - Windows-XP-General-Discussion - Windows-XP

How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

Once you see the BSOD and the error code, it will be easier to see what the problem is.

If you have already updated your Audio and Video drivers correctly, the ones that come with the mobo CD are outdated and the ones you can install with Windows Update are more Generic than anything else. In case you don't know... you must uninstall the drivers in the Device Manager, restart and then install fresh copies of each direct from the manufacturer.

You should also check the minimum requirements of your video card when it comes to power... if the PSU you have is not of a good brand, there could be an issue as well even though you say it does not pull that much power.
I have updated all the drivers, and as i said, it pulls a max of 280W while stress testing. I also disabled the auto-reboot, but there are still no bluescreens or anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2012   #6
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Well, according to some sites, this is what you need for the 4850 radeon

Radeon 4850 - 30A and a 450W PSU minimum

Even the card suggests it if you look at the details and specs... Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

This may or may not be an issue but you must remember that some of the newer shooters are nothing but shody console ports, they are badly coded so they must use more juice than a dedicated pc game. You keep saying you only pull 280w in the stress test but the issue you are having is noticeable by either heat or power. In the end, it seems you know your way around computers so you will know better.

Look at this deal, it has good reviews and for the price, you can't go wrong... 60 cheeseburgers at the end of the day. It has a 10 MiR as well but, if you act today, you get 20 off with the promotional code! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-17553010-L01B
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2012   #7
werdna87

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
Well, according to some sites, this is what you need for the 4850 radeon

Radeon 4850 - 30A and a 450W PSU minimum

Even the card suggests it if you look at the details and specs... Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

This may or may not be an issue but you must remember that some of the newer shooters are nothing but shody console ports, they are badly coded so they must use more juice than a dedicated pc game. You keep saying you only pull 280w in the stress test but the issue you are having is noticeable by either heat or power. In the end, it seems you know your way around computers so you will know better.

Look at this deal, it has good reviews and for the price, you can't go wrong... 60 cheeseburgers at the end of the day. It has a 10 MiR as well but, if you act today, you get 20 off with the promotional code! Newegg.com - COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ultra Quiet Power Supply
that is the card i have and i agree it does say that it needs a 450W PSU, but it ran perfectly fine on my old rig (same PSU as well) which was a core2 duo. If it was reaching near 400w stress testing i would totally agree with you but as i have never seen it even it 300w it hard to believe that's the issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #8
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Well, then there is that, perhaps you have a friend with multiple PSUs and he can lend you one to test? Perhaps your PSU no longer works as it should and its time for a new one?

You seem like you know your way around computers more than I do so, I wish you good luck since I can no longer suggest other things.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #9
Chalky Emultion

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by werdna87 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
Well, according to some sites, this is what you need for the 4850 radeon

Radeon 4850 - 30A and a 450W PSU minimum

Even the card suggests it if you look at the details and specs... Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

This may or may not be an issue but you must remember that some of the newer shooters are nothing but shody console ports, they are badly coded so they must use more juice than a dedicated pc game. You keep saying you only pull 280w in the stress test but the issue you are having is noticeable by either heat or power. In the end, it seems you know your way around computers so you will know better.

Look at this deal, it has good reviews and for the price, you can't go wrong... 60 cheeseburgers at the end of the day. It has a 10 MiR as well but, if you act today, you get 20 off with the promotional code! Newegg.com - COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ultra Quiet Power Supply
that is the card i have and i agree it does say that it needs a 450W PSU, but it ran perfectly fine on my old rig (same PSU as well) which was a core2 duo. If it was reaching near 400w stress testing i would totally agree with you but as i have never seen it even it 300w it hard to believe that's the issue.
According to a large number of reviews and tests founded on the web, the HD 4850 consumes around 240W when full loaded.
400W could be really not enough for your rig. In fact, your pc reboots when you are stressing the card with some intensive graphics engines.

Are you overclocking the card?

A second possibility is that the card is broken and is providing issues. If a Windows 7 clean install didn't solve the problem, something is wrong with your hardware.

Also run a RAM test to see if your memory is working correctly. Broken RAM sticks could cause this issue too.

Anyway, 400W are really scarce for an Ivy Bridge I5 3570K, an HD 4850, and a ASRock Extreme4 7ZZ. I suggest you a PSU upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2012   #10
sygnus21

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by werdna87 View Post
So i have been having this issue for a while and have no idea what could be causing it. I built myself a new rig in September, and certain games have not worked since. My specs are:
I5 3570K
XFX 4850 1GB
400W corsair PSU
ASRock Extreme4 7ZZ
2X 4GB GSkill Ares DDR3 RAM

What happens is the computer just reboots while playing some games. No warning, no blue screen, it just restarts as if the reset switch is being hit. It happens on games built on cryengine and unreal engine AFAK (happened on bioshock, and crysis 2). It does not happen on other games (like Just Cause 2) that are just as power intensive though so i am kind of confused about that. I just installed a clean win7 Ultimate hoping it would fix my issues but it didnt.
Are you overclocked?

And tough your system may be performing well with the 400 watt power supply, It may be a bit underpowered for the system, especially if you're overclocking. Personally I would have at least a 450 in that system.

The other issue is the card could be failing. That 4850 isn't exactly new. I the exact same brand (XFX) back in Apr 2009 so...

The other thing you could try, provided you have the technical know how, is to dissemble the card and replaced the thermo paste and see how it goes. The card could be over heating, and replacing the thermo paste could help keep the temps low.

That said, you might also make sure the card's fan is working and free of dust build-up. Likewise you could check the system is getting adequate cooling.

Just some things to think about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random reboots while playing certain games




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Random reboots when playing games?
Salutations everyone, this is my first post on sevenforums! Yeah, yeah another annoying ex-guest seeking help, SORRY! If I'm posting in the wrong section I trully apologize, I had a look around and thought this was the right place. I'll try to give you guys as much info as possible to help you help...
Gaming
PC reboots when playing games
When I start playing games like WoW or LoL my PC will randomly reboot. I have turned off the "automatically restart" option in advanced settings under computer properties. I have attempted to play without the RAC running. I have also set all of my video settings to minimum in the games. The...
BSOD Help and Support
Random reboots while playing certain games
So as the title says, my computer randomly reboots when i play some games, but others it is totally fine. I thought that it was windows related because i was using win8, so i went back down to win7 and am still having the same issues. I can not get an error report simply because it is not a BSOD,...
Gaming
Random FPS lag while playing games
I've been playing games such as Counter-Strike: Source for the past while, now. At first, the game would run fine at 40 FPS. And it did for a while. Now, the game frame rate will randomly drop to 10-20 FPS. This isn't chronic, as it will go away after about a minute. I've kept my CPU temp and usage...
Gaming
BSOD playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, random reboots 0x00000024
Recently re installed Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM on my system and have been getting pretty random BSODs and reboots. I've had this problem before and eventually it went away before re installing windows, but I'm still using all of the same hardware. AMD Phenom II X4 970 @ 3500 ASUS...
BSOD Help and Support
Random reboots while playing Just Cause
Hi everyone! I've a new PC (see system specs for details), clean W7 install, all the updates installed. I have installed Just Cause and imported old saves. The game runs great, but then the PC reboots. Minidump is not created for some reasons, and Event Viewer doesn't show any errors before the...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App