Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What will be the limit?


27 Feb 2013   #1

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 
What will be the limit?

In terms of game requirements, and how demanding they are.
What would a game need to do in order to increase it's demands to the system past.. lets say.. A GTX Titan, or an HD7970? It seems those cards can pretty much obliterate any game.

But what about games? What would a game need to have in order to make these new cards useless and unable to even pull 30 FPS?

I thought this would be an interesting topic.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2013   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

i dont think there will ever be a limit....

technology is always increasing and improving and along with that so are game engines, screen resolutions, CPU's and GPU's. so as gpu's increse, so do screen resolutions, and games to meet those requirements. for the record, 4k TV's are now out, so expect to see a 4k compatible GPU in a few years. however, they do cost the price of a new mercadies.

now xbox and PS3 are different stories. it is belived that the xbox 720 (the new one thats sopose to come out) is sopose to have the ATI 6670 gpu. a lower end GPU. so games are limited to those system specs. and always will be unless they manage to make a full blown gaming computer out of an xbox.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #3

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
i dont think there will ever be a limit....

technology is always increasing and improving and along with that so are game engines, screen resolutions, CPU's and GPU's. so as gpu's increse, so do screen resolutions, and games to meet those requirements. for the record, 4k TV's are now out, so expect to see a 4k compatible GPU in a few years. however, they do cost the price of a new mercadies.

now xbox and PS3 are different stories. it is belived that the xbox 720 (the new one thats sopose to come out) is sopose to have the ATI 6670 gpu. a lower end GPU. so games are limited to those system specs. and always will be unless they manage to make a full blown gaming computer out of an xbox.
Lets keep this to desktops, and not gaming consoles.

The question is really, what would a game need to obliterate a titan or 7970. Not why we would need better technology..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Feb 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

It will depend on how fast consoles advance.
Games today, with the exception of very few, are designed around the abilities of a console.

Then ported to PC. Some Devs add extra things to make them look better, but it still doesn't change the fact the game was initially designed for a consoles ability.

Sad but true.
And also the fact a console can be highly optimized to run on that hardware.
Where as with PC games, there are hundreds of possible configurations each capable of different levels of 3D rendering.

And of course, Devs want to accomodate as many as possible. This is why technically, a PC needs a bit more power to run at the same settings a console will. Its not as optimized. Still, theres so much extra power in the typical gaming PC they can just strong-arm thier way through and have thier way without much issue.

It would be interesting to see a game that takes full advantage of a modern gaming PC. But in order to take full advatage, I think all PCs would need to be running the same HW to be as optimized as possible.. which is sadly impossible.

Could you image a highly optimized game designed to take full advantage of a PCs power with a stock 2600K, GTX 570 and 4Gb of RAM? That alone if targeted as such would result in an amazing game visually IMHO.
Much less what PCs are currently capable of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
i dont think there will ever be a limit....

technology is always increasing and improving and along with that so are game engines, screen resolutions, CPU's and GPU's. so as gpu's increse, so do screen resolutions, and games to meet those requirements. for the record, 4k TV's are now out, so expect to see a 4k compatible GPU in a few years. however, they do cost the price of a new mercadies.

now xbox and PS3 are different stories. it is belived that the xbox 720 (the new one thats sopose to come out) is sopose to have the ATI 6670 gpu. a lower end GPU. so games are limited to those system specs. and always will be unless they manage to make a full blown gaming computer out of an xbox.
Lets keep this to desktops, and not gaming consoles.

The question is really, what would a game need to obliterate a titan or 7970. Not why we would need better technology..

im sure games, developers, and engines will be completely be able to obliterate a titan. however, if you need a titan GPU and highest end CPU to run that game, would you buy it? probs not. thats y games dont exceed the hardware capabilities that are currently affordable to the general public and occasional gamer. like me.

i dont have the fastest laptop available, but its still fast. i want BF3, and my computer will be able to run it, (poorly) so i will buy it. but if it costed $100 and i would NEVER be able to run that game because of hardware incompatibilities, i would never buy it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #6

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
i dont think there will ever be a limit....

technology is always increasing and improving and along with that so are game engines, screen resolutions, CPU's and GPU's. so as gpu's increse, so do screen resolutions, and games to meet those requirements. for the record, 4k TV's are now out, so expect to see a 4k compatible GPU in a few years. however, they do cost the price of a new mercadies.

now xbox and PS3 are different stories. it is belived that the xbox 720 (the new one thats sopose to come out) is sopose to have the ATI 6670 gpu. a lower end GPU. so games are limited to those system specs. and always will be unless they manage to make a full blown gaming computer out of an xbox.
Lets keep this to desktops, and not gaming consoles.

The question is really, what would a game need to obliterate a titan or 7970. Not why we would need better technology..

im sure games, developers, and engines will be completely be able to obliterate a titan. however, if you need a titan GPU and highest end CPU to run that game, would you buy it? probs not. thats y games dont exceed the hardware capabilities that are currently affordable to the general public and occasional gamer. like me.

i dont have the fastest laptop available, but its still fast. i want BF3, and my computer will be able to run it, (poorly) so i will buy it. but if it costed $100 and i would NEVER be able to run that game because of hardware incompatibilities, i would never buy it.
But even so. A titan can barely run Crysis 3. And people are making a huge fad about Crysis 3.
I don't believe it would be a hardware compatibility, but a hardware requirement not being fullfiled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Erick Aguilar View Post
Lets keep this to desktops, and not gaming consoles.

The question is really, what would a game need to obliterate a titan or 7970. Not why we would need better technology..

im sure games, developers, and engines will be completely be able to obliterate a titan. however, if you need a titan GPU and highest end CPU to run that game, would you buy it? probs not. thats y games dont exceed the hardware capabilities that are currently affordable to the general public and occasional gamer. like me.

i dont have the fastest laptop available, but its still fast. i want BF3, and my computer will be able to run it, (poorly) so i will buy it. but if it costed $100 and i would NEVER be able to run that game because of hardware incompatibilities, i would never buy it.
But even so. A titan can barely run Crysis 3. And people are making a huge fad about Crysis 3.
I don't believe it would be a hardware compatibility, but a hardware requirement not being fullfiled.

it also depends on how well a game is optimized too. i noticed games like COD MW2 is like insanely optimized and i can run that game on almost full specs, but Black Ops, i cant even play it on the lowest settings. and there the same game engines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Perhaps a true 3D game. Maybe a game , and yet to be invented hardware, with an interactive holographic image. One could manipulate the holograms by a virtual touch and handle virtual objects.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Perhaps a true 3D game. Maybe a game , and yet to be invented hardware, with an interactive holographic image. One could manipulate the holograms by a virtual touch and handle virtual objects.
like kinect on a whole new level!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #10

Windows 7 professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Perhaps a true 3D game. Maybe a game , and yet to be invented hardware, with an interactive holographic image. One could manipulate the holograms by a virtual touch and handle virtual objects.
This.
I'm glad you understand the real topic of the thread!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What will be the limit?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for: What will be the limit?
Thread Forum
MTU Limit - Test and change your connection's MTU limit Tutorials
Solved How to limit FPS in games? Gaming
Solved Limit my download Network & Sharing
limit bandwidth Network & Sharing
cd key limit on 1 pc Windows Updates & Activation
Is there a TCP limit? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33