Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Buying a Dell Alienware X51 is it worth it?


02 Jun 2013   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Buying a Dell Alienware X51 is it worth it?

I am planning on buying a Dell Alienware X51 with a third Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.40GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4C) cpu, are they decent machines?

I know a load will say build your own, but I am buying on finance as I can't afford to fork out all the cash in one hit.

I have been told they will handle all games and they are good, but I would like some of your opinions please.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jun 2013   #2

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

What games are you looking to play?

Do you Multiplay or just Solo Campaigns?

If MP... how good is your Internet?

What is your budget?

I have more questions but if you give us more info, perhaps we can help you better and perhaps you don't have to invest that much money on a gaming rig? I don't even know how much it is but I do know they are not cheap, hence, the invest much money part!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

I would not go with a dell alienware. While I do recommend to build your own, I understand the finance part. If you go with something like cyberpower, you can build a better system that you can control better meaning not having a locked bios. I'm not sure if you can use cyberpower outside of the US, but maybe the UK has something similar. Your speedtest is great!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Jun 2013   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
What games are you looking to play?

Do you Multiplay or just Solo Campaigns?

If MP... how good is your Internet?

What is your budget?

I have more questions but if you give us more info, perhaps we can help you better and perhaps you don't have to invest that much money on a gaming rig? I don't even know how much it is but I do know they are not cheap, hence, the invest much money part!
Currently only playing multiplay as my laptop cannot handle much more but will be wanting it for both. My current Internet is about 20 Mbps. The machine will cost about £1100, but like I said I haven't got the money to be buying in one hit so need to spread payments. It also comes with latest 3rd gen i7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I would not go with a dell alienware. While I do recommend to build your own, I understand the finance part. If you go with something like cyberpower, you can build a better system that you can control better meaning not having a locked bios. I'm not sure if you can use cyberpower outside of the US, but maybe the UK has something similar. Your speedtest is great!
I assume by locked bios you are saying that I will not be able to over clock my machine?

I have been told they are good machines, and they are much better than what you can buy in the shops in the uk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

The Alienware computers do not have a locked BIOS nor are they locked down in any other way. Mine certainly is not. The only limiting factor of the Alienware x51 is its small form. The x51 is a fantastic machine, you can overclock it, however, its small form is not the best for exhausting heat.

Oh and for correctness, they are not using a BIOS but UEFI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
The Alienware computers do not have a locked BIOS nor are they locked down in any other way. Mine certainly is not. The only limiting factor of the Alienware x51 is its small form. The x51 is a fantastic machine, you can overclock it, however, its small form is not the best for exhausting heat.

Oh and for correctness, they are not using a BIOS but UEFI.
Good info logicearth, I thought they were standard locked dell bios.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

If there is an option for a k series then opt for that. If you are into gaming then maybe look to a i5 k series and then get as much GPU as you can afford then ! Pull the std. cpu cooler out and replace with a sealed water if the case can handle that and it should.....maybe a H80i or a single fan solution?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #9

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
If there is an option for a k series then opt for that. If you are into gaming then maybe look to a i5 k series and then get as much GPU as you can afford then ! Pull the std. cpu cooler out and replace with a sealed water if the case can handle that and it should.....maybe a H80i or a single fan solution?
i5 before i7, how come?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2013   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

I clicked through to customize the x51 and it appears you can't customize the performance at all with this model? What gives with that, maybe another sign that the future all points to wireless handheld devices??? sad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Buying a Dell Alienware X51 is it worth it?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Buying a Dell Alienware X51 is it worth it?
Thread Forum
Is Camtasia Studio Worth Buying? Software
Solved Is this SSD worth buying? Hardware & Devices
Worth buying Office Professional 2010 for under 15€? Microsoft Office
Alienware - Not worth the money... Chillout Room
Alienware worth it? Chillout Room
Is it worth me buying an AV? System Security
worth buying window 7? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33