Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fallout 3 on Windows 7.

12 Jan 2009   #31
Chuki

Windows 7
 
 

Well trying to fix this issue I did reformat and start anew, only to have the problem surface all over again.

My Documents and stuff are all organized similarly on a separate hard drive.

I have

D:\Documents
D:\Pictures
D:\Music
D:\Videos
you get the point.

I change Win7's documents, pictures, etc... location to point to these folders. This automatically updates the library to point here, since the library by default includes C:\users\username\documents, so I just changed the location of that folder.

I do have both versions of win7 installed, and in Win7 64 I didn't have any problems, but in Win7 32 I did. So I knew it had to be something with the 32bit version, I still couldn't figure it out so I reformatted, upon reformat I could get the game launch but I was greeted by a black screen with audio looping, behind that was an invisable error saying the app had crashed.

I'd relaunch into 64bit and again it worked fine, this is when I started checking file permissions. I simply logged back into 32bit, and set the security tab permissions for the "Everybody" group to full control. I checked each individual file in the My Games/Fallout 3 directory since then I haven't had any issues in 32 or 64bit.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jan 2009   #32
DakkonA

Windows Vista
 
 

My security settings all appear to be set to Everyone = Full Control for those directories and files... Had you moved your directories in that new 32-bit install that it worked on?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2009   #33
smarteyeball

 
 

These are the steps I took to get it working in the default folder location. x64 Version.


Right Clicked on the Fallout3 folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout3 and selected properties>security>edit>add then typed in users and gave both my user name and users all permissions.

You really only need to give permission to the Fallout3 Folder itself. Any files and sub-folders should have the same permission properties.

Name:  fo3users.PNG
Views: 1031
Size:  59.5 KB


Even though I have allowed my username and users full access, the read only box remains ticked, yet it's still got access.

Name:  fo3stillthere.PNG
Views: 500
Size:  58.3 KB

Fallout3.exe also needs to be "Run as Admin" in the compatibility tab.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2009   #34
reallyfatwalrus

Windows Vista/7
 
 

I'm going to try the 64bit one, see if it's any better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2009   #35
johngalt

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
thats just worked for me, when I was stuck in a launcher loop.

Another thing is check to make sure permissions are set correct. Give the My Games and Fallout 3 full read write permissions to Everyone. Beyond that I have no clue.
Hmm - weirder and weirder. But this may make sense as to why I have no issues with Fallout 3 - I installed it to a different drive - where the Program Files folder was not restricted - so my permissions may in fact have saved me - but I do this with all my games....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Chuki, your a champ It was a permission problem. It would hang at the point where it would've been writing to the save game. No write access=hang.

I took ownership of the C:\Users\*YOURNAME*\Documents\My Games\Fallout3 folder and gave my username full read/write privileges. I Started a new game and it was past the hang. Save games from Vista work too


It's a similar issue to the Vista / S.T.A.L.K.E.R save game problem that occured in one of the patches. The game kept crashing because of write permissions.
I did not have to do that at all....

But, I have my special folders moved, and I also installed the game itself to the D drive where those folders reside....


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
Well trying to fix this issue I did reformat and start anew, only to have the problem surface all over again.

My Documents and stuff are all organized similarly on a separate hard drive.

I have

D:\Documents
D:\Pictures
D:\Music
D:\Videos
you get the point.

I change Win7's documents, pictures, etc... location to point to these folders. This automatically updates the library to point here, since the library by default includes C:\users\username\documents, so I just changed the location of that folder.

I do have both versions of win7 installed, and in Win7 64 I didn't have any problems, but in Win7 32 I did. So I knew it had to be something with the 32bit version, I still couldn't figure it out so I reformatted, upon reformat I could get the game launch but I was greeted by a black screen with audio looping, behind that was an invisable error saying the app had crashed.

I'd relaunch into 64bit and again it worked fine, this is when I started checking file permissions. I simply logged back into 32bit, and set the security tab permissions for the "Everybody" group to full control. I checked each individual file in the My Games/Fallout 3 directory since then I haven't had any issues in 32 or 64bit.
Your setup almost mirrors mine- been doing that since Vista after I found out dejectedly that I could not make the installer create those special folders in alternate partitions / drives like XP installer could....


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
These are the steps I took to get it working in the default folder location. x64 Version.


Right Clicked on the Fallout3 folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout3 and selected properties>security>edit>add then typed in users and gave both my user name and users all permissions.

You really only need to give permission to the Fallout3 Folder itself. Any files and sub-folders should have the same permission properties.

Attachment 2643


Even though I have allowed my username and users full access, the read only box remains ticked, yet it's still got access.

Attachment 2644


I doubt it makes a difference, but I also run fallout3.exe and falloutlauncer.exe as "Run as Admin" in the compatibility tab.
Again, maybe it is because I did not install it to the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (X86) directories....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2009   #36
Chuki

Windows 7
 
 

It may have something to do with installing the game to the default directory. I install all my games on my 2nd drive. I.E. all my games are installed under D:\Games

All I did was change the c:\users\username\documents folder to location d:\Documents, 64bit was fine, but I installed it 1st then 32bit, thats when I had problems, once I changed permissions all was well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2009   #37
johngalt

 

Hmmm.

I left the Users folders on my C Drive, but just change the installation path from C:\... to D:\..., leaving all of the rest the same.

My Documents, Downloads, etc (all special folders) are all on D, but the rest of the user folders are all on C - so only thing I can think of is that the permissions were screwed in your case because of the 2 different OSs sharing the drive....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2009   #38
thunderclap

Windows 7 & OS X 10.6.2 (Hackintosh drive)
 
 

I've had a little more time to play with it and this is what I've found.

If I try to run the Fallout3 executable the game locks on load. All I get is a black screen. This seems to be the case in Windows XP and Vista compatibility modes also.

If I run the game from the FalloutLauncher the game will start but all I get is audio... no video, just a black screen.

If I change the games settings in FalloutLauncher to Windowed Mode the game boots and plays fine.

I've tried this with the following nVidia drivers: Visa 180.48, Vista 181.20 and the Windows 7 nVidia Beta drivers from the Windows Update page.

So the game works... just not in full screen mode. I do find it strange though that the game CAN load but only from the FalloutLauncher and not the main executable. Weird.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2009   #39
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Have you installed the Games For Windows Live update, that might help as it worked for GTA4.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2009   #40
thunderclap

Windows 7 & OS X 10.6.2 (Hackintosh drive)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
Have you installed the Games For Windows Live update, that might help as it worked for GTA4.
I've installed Games for Windows Live 2.0, if that's what you're referring to. I haven't been able to find a Games for Windows Live Update per say.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fallout 3 on Windows 7.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Fallout 3 on Windows 7 crashes!
hey guys i know if your reading this that you probably already looked at the other thread like this but this is different then that. my problem is that when i install it and go into menu, i press new game, and i goes to the loading slide, then it crashes and i can't figure out why :confused:
Gaming
Fallout 3 on Windows 7 x64
Fallout 3 GoTY crashes on startup. Nothing but black screen shows up before it crashes. I bought it on Steam. I was able to play the game from disk and not GoTY, without any DLCs about a year ago on the same system - Windows 7 x64. I bought the game recently because I lost my disk. I've...
Gaming
Fallout 3 Windows 7?
I just installed Fallout 3 and all 5 downloadable content. I tried to run it and the launcher runs the screen with "Launch" "Options" "Tech Support" etc. When I click launch I get this error: "Fallout Failed to initialize renderer." Only option I get is "OK" when I click it everything...
Gaming
Fallout 3 Windows 7 64-bit premium
I have fallout 3 with all of the addon content and latest patch. I can not run the program normally as it will freeze randomly in game and quite quickly. My computer can run it on full graphics smoothly and finely yet however the game freezes randomly. Here is some info regarding my computer:...
Gaming
Fallout 3 bugs on windows 7.
Is it just me or what fallout 3 has many bugs? Like first you can't really alt+tab to your desktop, secondly, the game sometimes stay minimize when/if you alt+tab, thirdly, game freezes randomly, and finally sometimes the music playing in the radio lags. I updated to 1.7 and it doesn't fix any of...
Gaming
fallout 3 on windows 7?
i have just downloaded a torrent for fallout 3 on my windows 7 64 bit and when i start to play it it crashes shortly after the intro, is their any way to fix this?
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App