Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Black Screen when full screen is enabled in Witcher 2 enhanced edition

05 Jan 2014   #11
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Errr... don't know where the overclock thing came from but I have Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) and it ran just fine on i7-950 overclocked system. I'm currently running the Steam version on an i7-4770 quad core and Windows 8.1 and it's still running fine so I'm not sure where the quad core thing came from either...

That said, if you have the Steam edition it should automatically be patched to the latest version. If you've got the boxed version, make sure you have the latest patch installed. If you've got a hacked version, well.... expect issues.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jan 2014   #12
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Contrabardus View Post
If you installed something that says it is supposed to make PhysX run, get rid of it. Even if it is legit it's an Nvidia driver and wouldn't be compatible with your card.
Some games, Metro 2033 for example, require PhysX to be installed or won't run, even if you don't have an NVidia card. Why this is, I don't know. You can check Programs & Feature, and if you've never owned or installed any NVidia products but see it there, there's a 100 percent chance a game installed it because it's required.

Just to double check this, I uninstalled it from my system, then attempted to run Metro 2033; The first thing the game did was install PhysX before running. This is the Steam version. I'd imagine if couldn't download it, it'd complain and wouldn't run until installed. So, yeah, some games require it.

Anyway I swore Witcher 2 also required it but... Anyway if it's needed the game will (should) install it. But if i's needed, and for some reason you don't have it, it can be gotten here - NVIDIA DRIVERS 9.13.0725 (PhysX Software)

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #13
Contrabardus

Windows 7 Home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Errr... don't know where the overclock thing came from but I have Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) and it ran just fine on i7-950 overclocked system. I'm currently running the Steam version on an i7-4770 quad core and Windows 8.1 and it's still running fine so I'm not sure where the quad core thing came from either...

That said, if you have the Steam edition it should automatically be patched to the latest version. If you've got the boxed version, make sure you have the latest patch installed. If you've got a hacked version, well.... expect issues.
Just because it works on your overclocked system doesn't mean that it particularly likes overclocking. A lot of people have had problems with Witcher 2 because it doesn't agree with the overclocking they've done with their systems. It's notorious for not getting along well with overclocked hardware. You were lucky.

The quad core thing came from the fact that the OP has a Intel Extreme CPU, the majority of which are six core CPUs. No one said anything about the game not running well on a quad core. In fact, it was specifically stated that a quad core was optimal. OP's particular model of the Extreme series is a quad core.

Video games aren't made for six core processors so having a four core CPU is best for a gaming rig. Most games will run fine on a six core system, but only four cores are actually being used most of the time. A few games won't run or will have issues when you try to run them on a six core system, especially games that are picky about hardware like Witcher 2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2014   #14
Contrabardus

Windows 7 Home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Contrabardus View Post
If you installed something that says it is supposed to make PhysX run, get rid of it. Even if it is legit it's an Nvidia driver and wouldn't be compatible with your card.
Some games, Metro 2033 for example, require PhysX to be installed or won't run, even if you don't have an NVidia card. Why this is, I don't know. You can check Programs & Feature, and if you've never owned or installed any NVidia products but see it there, there's a 100 percent chance a game installed it because it's required.

Just to double check this, I uninstalled it from my system, then attempted to run Metro 2033; The first thing the game did was install PhysX before running. This is the Steam version. I'd imagine if couldn't download it, it'd complain and wouldn't run until installed. So, yeah, some games require it.

Anyway I swore Witcher 2 also required it but... Anyway if it's needed the game will (should) install it. But if i's needed, and for some reason you don't have it, it can be gotten here - NVIDIA DRIVERS 9.13.0725 (PhysX Software)

Peace
I stand corrected. I've had it for so long I just forgot about it. Still, PhysX should not cause any problems unless your CPU is seriously underpowered. The Intel Extreme series CPUs are more than enough to handle PhysX on any game, especially with a 7970 GPU backing it up. If other games are running fine, there's no reason Witcher 2 should be running like it is on low settings.

At any rate, PhysX is not the cause of Witcher 2's issues. Witcher 2 does not use PhysX, it runs on Havoc. There's talk that Witcher 3 will use PhysX, but 2 is optimized for AMD cards. In fact, it was given away as one of the free games that came with an AMD card purchase not too long ago.

I suggest trying running an adware, malware, and virus scan. Adware or malware can both cause issues with games. You need some sort of anti-malware program aside from whatever your Virus protection is. Most Virus scanners don't get rid of adware and malware, just viruses. Even if yours does, it's a good idea to have a secondary program for it as one will often find things the other misses. I recommend Malwarebytes, it's free and works well for cleaning out adware and malware.

Also, try turning off background programs. Go to your system tray and turn off any extra programs running in the background. Try going through your Program Files and see if you've maybe picked up some extra toolbars or other junk programs that might be running in your background. It's a good idea to scan through them on occasion just in case something slipped past you when you were downloading something. Some programs like to dump extra little toolbars and trackers into their installers. It's never a good idea to just blow through an install as they'll often try to make these installs look like part of the program installation.

You can also try [temporarily] disabling firewalls and antivirus. Either can interfere with games sometimes. You can add exceptions and get around it if either is causing the problem, but the easiest way to find out is to disable them and try running the game. Again, -do not leave them off even if they are causing the issue-. Just use the settings in either program to let the game through so it can work properly if it is the issue.

You can also try disabling scaling in the CCC settings if you have it turned on. I know it's weird but I've had scaling cause issues with some programs in the past. Probably not the case.

Another possible [but unlikely] fix is the AMD gaming Evolved app. You can get it from the AMD site and it does improve performance slightly for AMD GPUs. It is also free.

It opens a window and runs in the background, but it does optimize a lot of games to run better on AMD GPUs. It 'rewards' you for playing games with some sort of points system I've honestly not paid much attention too and if you like you can use it to enter a drawing for hardware or game giveaways if you want.

It's similar to the Steam Client in some ways and has some social features and a ranking system. It also keeps track of how long you play and lets you know how long you've been playing. I do kind of like having it tell me how long I've been playing when I close a game. That stuff is easily ignored if you're not interested and I only use it myself because it does actually optimize a lot of my games to run slightly better.

Not sure what else might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #15
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Contrabardus View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Errr... don't know where the overclock thing came from but I have Witcher 2 (enhanced edition) and it ran just fine on i7-950 overclocked system. I'm currently running the Steam version on an i7-4770 quad core and Windows 8.1 and it's still running fine so I'm not sure where the quad core thing came from either...

That said, if you have the Steam edition it should automatically be patched to the latest version. If you've got the boxed version, make sure you have the latest patch installed. If you've got a hacked version, well.... expect issues.
Just because it works on your overclocked system doesn't mean that it particularly likes overclocking. A lot of people have had problems with Witcher 2 because it doesn't agree with the overclocking they've done with their systems. It's notorious for not getting along well with overclocked hardware. You were lucky.

The quad core thing came from the fact that the OP has a Intel Extreme CPU, the majority of which are six core CPUs. No one said anything about the game not running well on a quad core. In fact, it was specifically stated that a quad core was optimal. OP's particular model of the Extreme series is a quad core.

Video games aren't made for six core processors so having a four core CPU is best for a gaming rig. Most games will run fine on a six core system, but only four cores are actually being used most of the time. A few games won't run or will have issues when you try to run them on a six core system, especially games that are picky about hardware like Witcher 2.
If you actually read what I posted you'd see I'm trying to help by providing factual information - the game does run with quad core processors, and does run on over clocked systems. You might visit other forums to find that out for yourself instead of acting like I don't know what I'm talking about.

And it's not like I have no experience with troubleshooting Witcher 2 as well - Fixes for 2.1 and TW2EE Issues and 142 error or W2 stopped working Update 8/19/2013 - The Witcher board

In the end it's about providing help, not trying to be the king of the hill.

Later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #16
Contrabardus

Windows 7 Home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

If you actually read what I posted you'd see I'm trying to help by providing factual information - the game does run with quad core processors, and does run on over clocked systems. You might visit other forums to find that out for yourself instead of acting like I don't know what I'm talking about.

And it's not like I have no experience with troubleshooting Witcher 2 as well - Fixes for 2.1 and TW2EE Issues and 142 error or W2 stopped working Update 8/19/2013 - The Witcher board

In the end it's about providing help, not trying to be the king of the hill.

Later.
I did read it and you said you weren't sure where the topic quad core support came from. So I pointed it out. No one said that the game didn't run on quad core systems, but the way your post is worded about it makes it sound as if someone had previously suggested that the game did not run well with a quad core when in fact the opposite is true.

I also said that the game has a reputation for not running well, or sometimes at all, on overclocked systems, and it does. You were one of the fortunate ones who didn't have problems, but many who have had issues with the game have discovered that dialing back overclocking has fixed the problems. No one ever said that 'it never ever runs on an overclocked system' or 'you're lying and it couldn't have run on your system because it's overclocked'. I only suggested that dialing back overclocking is often found to be a fix for various issues with running Witcher 2, and it is.

I also provided factual information and none of it contradicts anything you said previously.

As I understand it, the reason Witcher 2 is such a system hog is because it runs on DX9 and doesn't have DX 11 support. The game does so much that it really should have used DX 11 and it runs hard even at low settings because of it. There are really too many effects in the game for DX 9 to be completely stable. That's why it's often unstable with overclocked systems.

Others who have overclock related problems have said that other games run fine on their OCed cards, but Witcher 2 often misbehaves. Usually framerate issues, but sometimes worse issues such as black screens and crash/freezing come up. It's also apparent that it's sometimes an issue even with factory overclocked cards. Sometimes dialing back from the factory overclock settings to the card's base clock settings will stabilize the game and run it properly.

I suggest going into the CCC and dropping the clock settings and see if there is any improvement. Especially if the GPU in question has factory overclocking.

I have the same card as OP in my system, not overclocked, and the game runs fine at max settings complete with ubersampling. I've got three of them actually, but I only use one most of the time. I usually kick on the second when I play Witcher 2 just to lighten the load, but it runs the game at a good framerate with the max settings on a single card as well.

Edit: I knocked it up to overclock settings of 1125 and 1575 [from the stock 925 and 1375] just to see, and my framerate in Witcher 2 dropped by about 40fps and movement became jerky along with audio skipping. I've little doubt that trying to play for a while will lead to crashing. Booted up Skyrim, Arkham Origins, and Max Payne 3 with no performance loss on the OCed card settings at all.

Every system is different so it likely isn't universal, but I've confirmed that OCing can make Witcher 2 unstable on some systems, including my own with the same GPU as OP. It also confirms that dialing back OC settings can make the game run stable again at a decent framerate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #17
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Contrabardus View Post
Witcher 2 does not like overclocking, so if you've got anything overclocked dial it back to default settings and that may help. It's kind of infamous for finding any instability in an overclocked system and crashing like you describe because of it.
Quite a few people besides me are running overclocked systems and Witcher 2 runs just fine. That said, it is good advice to dial back and try; but unless they're running uber overclocked, usually not a factor.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Contrabardus View Post
It might also be your CPU. Some games do not run on six core processors. I believe Witcher 2 might be one of them. As I said above it's finicky about the hardware and settings it likes.

Contrary to popular belief, a six core CPU is not really better for a gaming rig. Most games only use four regardless of how many you have with only one or two exceptions, and even those are only coded to accept six cores and still only actually use four of them.

A quad core CPU is optimal for a gaming rig because all current games are coded with four cores in mind. We probably won't be seeing any games that can take advantage of a six core CPU for at least a couple of years. At the moment a six core CPU is more likely to cause problems in games than to give any sort of performance boost over a quad core.

My advice is that if all else fails, remove your six core and store it away for a few years until it's useful and replace it with a quad core.
System Requirements - The Witcher 2 System Requirements Revealed - IGN. Note the game was released May 2011 - a few hexa-cores were out by then.

Now, this isn't to say there couldn't be issues there; as I like to say... with computers, anything is possible. However, the empirical evidence says otherwise. In short, there are many running the game on a hexa-core processor and/or overclocked system without issue. But yes, anything is possible.

And yeah, it's still a demanding game - performance wise.

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #18
Soulwired

California
 
 

Okay I have heard about doing something like that, lowering the clock settings, now I am wondering do I enable graphic overdrive in ccc or not when lowering the clocks?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #19
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

If you're not overclocked you don't need to lower anything.

BTW I seemed to have missed it.. what version of Witcher 2 do you have? Steam or boxed retail?

Also have you looked through this guide - Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues. Maybe something in there might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2014   #20
Contrabardus

Windows 7 Home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Soulwired View Post
Okay I have heard about doing something like that, lowering the clock settings, now I am wondering do I enable graphic overdrive in ccc or not when lowering the clocks?
If your clock settings are already set to 925 and 1375 you shouldn't bother changing anything because those are the default settings for a 7970 without overclocking. Going lower than the defaults probably won't hurt, but it isn't likely to help. If your clock speeds are set over that then turning the settings down might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Black Screen when full screen is enabled in Witcher 2 enhanced edition




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Games won't run in full screen but in front of a black screen
After playing the first "Riddick" game, I have noticed that any game I start, while it is in the full screen mode, will not be maximized. As in, the resolution doesn't stretch out so anything that isn't my native desktop's resolution isn't good enough because I get black bars or to be more precise...
Gaming
Black screen when watching videos full screen and exiting games
I've tried updating the drivers, making sure nothing was overclocked, ram memtest and furmark. memtest found no errors, same with chkdsk and it didn't crash in furmark my average temp of gpu is 31 degrees Celsius. It plays sound for a few seconds afterward but then becomes unresponsive to the...
General Discussion
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition error with start
When ever I try to start the application (even when I start as admin) it will give me an error. Here I have a picture of the error: 3424491dc237fbc73b6ed19cbcf95485.png How do I fix this?
Gaming
Nvidia GeForce GT 555M, games in full-screen cause black screen?
Hi, gamers! Starting a few weeks ago, any game I try to play in full-screen, excluding League of Legends, has completely black-screened, but I can still hear the audio behind it. It would seem I can still Alt+Tab, open Windows Media Center, and other misc. commands, but all of it is done with my...
Gaming
BSOD or black screen while playing League of Legends or Full Screen YT
Built my own computer, and for a while it ran fine, but now when I try to play League of Legends it will crash often. Sometimes the game freezes, and no method of input will change the screen until I hold down the power button. In this case my speakers emit a high pitched noise. Other times the...
BSOD Help and Support
Full screen videos crashing to black screen and buzzing
My computer has a problem with crashing while playing a video in full screen. When it crashes the screen turns black while the speakers give out a buzzing noise. Everything is unresposive the only solution is to turn it off with the power button. It happens in any full screen video online or...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App