Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: "lag" in online games with Windows 7

18 Nov 2009   #11

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

@LPDad: My optimal solution was to keep the MMCS service running, as if you turn it off your audio may start cackling/skipping in an annoying fashion. However, I disabled the network throttling component of this service. I believe it's a general audio problem specific to Windows 7 and multiplayer / online games. I don't think the audio card or the drivers make a difference, or at least they didn't in my case.

Leave the multimedia class scheduler service running, but disable its network throttling feature:
  • Open regedit
  • Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
  • There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
  • Reboot

This removed the lag I was experiencing while still enabling me to have normal sound in-game. Specs in profile.

If you disable the MMCS and you still experience glitchy, lag-like behavior (sound glitches like crackles, pops, stutters, and skips are expected when you disable it!) then you almost certainly have a different issue. Another way to troubleshoot is to disable your sound device in device manager and see if you still experience lag spikes. I strongly advise you first try disabling your sound device and testing before messing with the registry, since it's much easier and I don't think it requires a reboot.

@Corpsecrank: You have a different issue. It almost sounds like you need to increase the throttling being done, not remove it. It seems odd to me you're having trouble, since you have a quad-core and stuff. Your audio IS glitching out, but apparently you're not having lag or ping oddities. Therefore you should not disable MMCSS. Try using something to play audio other than creative audio source.

@unrl: Try disabling your sound device in device manager, and see if the lag persists. That will help narrow things down. Also, your processor is bottle-necking that 4850. A faster CPU would probably help you. I suspect you are actually having fps issues. Lag spike != fps drop. Edit: I read your thread, and it appears you are indeed having lag spikes. Disabling the MMCS should have alleviated this, but confirm by disabling your sound device.

I cannot help you guys if you are not clear about what your problems are. Here is an example of a thread where I was able to identify this problem and provide the solution: Counter-Strike Series & Windows 7 = Lag?

Updated original post with current information.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #12

windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

you say this will only work for people with single core processors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #13

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

I don't know. Those are the only people I've seen so far with this issue. Obviously if you don't have this specific issue it will not fix anything. You do not have this issue because you are experiencing sound problems, not network problems, is that correct?

Edit: read your posts in the other thread satorious, did any of these fixes help you? You stated the lag you were experiencing was fixed. If so, I can rule out that it only occurs on single core processors. It sounds like it did, so I'm going to go ahead and remove the bit about single core processors, since you have a quad core.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Nov 2009   #14

WinXP Pro (x86) / Win7 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
Post if you find another game that's affected so I can add it to this list!
Bought Overlord Complete Pack during Steam Weekend Deal.
All parts suffered from Lag. Overlord 1 more than part two.
With the fix both runs smooth like I would play under WinXP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #15

windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
I don't know. Those are the only people I've seen so far with this issue. Obviously if you don't have this specific issue it will not fix anything. You do not have this issue because you are experiencing sound problems, not network problems, is that correct?

Edit: read your posts in the other thread satorious, did any of these fixes help you? You stated the lag you were experiencing was fixed. If so, I can rule out that it only occurs on single core processors. It sounds like it did, so I'm going to go ahead and remove the bit about single core processors, since you have a quad core.
yea but im not sure if it was your method only that fixed it i did it anyway, but there was 2 other people that specificaly said that they did what you did and it fixed there problem.

after my stuttering and sound loop problem i did fix, this was the other problem i was having

tf2 demo freeze stut hd

if you play close attention you can see where i kinda freeze / warp and everyone around me does the same. i have yet to experience this again, but only time will tell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #16

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
Bought Overlord Complete Pack during Steam Weekend Deal.
All parts suffered from Lag. Overlord 1 more than part two.
With the fix both runs smooth like I would play under WinXP.
Whoa, that's weird! Aren't those games offline? Did you disable the MMCSS or just do registry fix that removes network throttling? Anyway, I'm glad it helped, even if I wouldn't have expected it too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #17

windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
Post if you find another game that's affected so I can add it to this list!
Bought Overlord Complete Pack during Steam Weekend Deal.
All parts suffered from Lag. Overlord 1 more than part two.
With the fix both runs smooth like I would play under WinXP.
if you can post some of your specs.

also pinstripe if you have aim or something of that nature, steam can i get your aim or stead user name, i would like to KIT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #18

WinXP Pro (x86) / Win7 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
Bought Overlord Complete Pack during Steam Weekend Deal.
All parts suffered from Lag. Overlord 1 more than part two.
With the fix both runs smooth like I would play under WinXP.
Whoa, that's weird! Aren't those games offline? Did you disable the MMCSS or just do registry fix that removes network throttling? Anyway, I'm glad it helped, even if I wouldn't have expected it too.
Just the registry Fix (MMCSS shutdown itself anyway after booting even it is set to automatic),
but I'm surprised as you that it effected an offline game too.
After reading your post the first time I immediately went ahead and turn off my both soundcards (X-Fi Titanium and on-board Realtek HD Audio) off in Device Manager.
Launched Overlords 1&2, both running smooth. Then I turn on the one card, tested, turned off again, than tried the other soundcard. Every time the short "pauses" came back with either soundcard.
Finally I turn on both soundcards again, but disabled sound in Overlord configuration, and the game ran smooth again.
I then did the registry Fix, rebooted and all Overlord games worked smooth with sound. Of cause all source games than too.
BTW, if you think that maybe the reason I had this "pauses" even on a "offline" like Overlord is because I bought the Steam version, than the answer is no.
During my previous attempts to solve the problem I downloaded a ...uhm... err..., well I think you know what I am trying to say not to say. Just in case Steam itself was the root of the problem.

Here a list of Games I tested and had NOT this problem. In case someone mention them.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
I tested C&C3, Red Alert 3, Civilization IV, Mass Effect, NWN2, Dragon Age, Call of Duty MW2, Oblivion, Dawn of War 2, Total War Medieval II + Empire, Splinter Cell, Mirror's Edge, Prey, Sims 3.
All this games runs smooth.
Only all source games and Overlord had this strange lag and/or pauses.
My System specs
Intel Core 2 Dou E8400
4GB Ram in two modules (dual channel)
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R Mainboard
Nvidia 8800 GTS 512
X-Fi Titanium PCI-E
Dual screen environment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #19

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

huh, well that's really interesting. first of all, it's confirmed now it can occur on systems even with plenty of CPU power, and... it affects offline games. huh. ok. of all those games, did they all have problems before the fix?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #20

windows 7 professional 64 bit
 
 

How do i get my network like this??? like at a constant speed. so i can test the audio and see if it drops


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "lag" in online games with Windows 7





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33