Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Micro-Stuttering in games

23 Jul 2014   #1
Phill3990

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Micro-Stuttering in games

Hey all,

I write this thread to ask for you assistance on behalf of my brother. Recently he purchased a pre-built gaming PC from amazon (He did not build or even pick parts for it). However even though the computer has good hardware, it experiences micro-stuttering or camera panning lag when playing online games. which would be attributed to lag in the game but when we play together mine is fine, no lag at all (We use same internet). I have tried to fix it by limiting FPS, changing settings like V-sync etc etc. He seems to think that the refresh rate on the monitor he uses could be the cause or that its the wrong type of screen.

PC Specs:

CPU - AMD FX 6300 6-core @ 4.0GHz (It came OC'd by the seller)
RAM - 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
HDD - 2TB HDD
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 270 2gb advanced dedicated graphics card
Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD 760G + SB710 Chipset DDR3 1333 AM3+ Micro ATX Motherboard (GA-78LMT-S2P)
OS - Windows 7 home premium 64bit
Monitor - ACER S236HL 23" HDMI Monitor

What I don't get is we play the same game and my PC is fine 100% smooth, no stutter, no lag.
His PC is better and he gets this stuttering. It has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated (If this is in the wrong topic, I apologize)

Thanks

Phill3990


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Jul 2014   #2
Manigue

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phill3990 View Post
Hey all,

I write this thread to ask for you assistance on behalf of my brother. Recently he purchased a pre-built gaming PC from amazon (He did not build or even pick parts for it). However even though the computer has good hardware, it experiences micro-stuttering or camera panning lag when playing online games. which would be attributed to lag in the game but when we play together mine is fine, no lag at all (We use same internet). I have tried to fix it by limiting FPS, changing settings like V-sync etc etc. He seems to think that the refresh rate on the monitor he uses could be the cause or that its the wrong type of screen.

PC Specs:

CPU - AMD FX 6300 6-core @ 4.0GHz (It came OC'd by the seller)
RAM - 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
HDD - 2TB HDD
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 270 2gb advanced dedicated graphics card
Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD 760G + SB710 Chipset DDR3 1333 AM3+ Micro ATX Motherboard (GA-78LMT-S2P)
OS - Windows 7 home premium 64bit
Monitor - ACER S236HL 23" HDMI Monitor

What I don't get is we play the same game and my PC is fine 100% smooth, no stutter, no lag.
His PC is better and he gets this stuttering. It has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated (If this is in the wrong topic, I apologize)

Thanks

Phill3990
It will probably help if you mention which game or games you are having the problem with.

Your brothers machine may be trying to find a game controller (if one is not used nor connected). Sometime back I had to disabling the game controller port or an HDMI audio port to correct this issue. I wish I could remember which game I had the problem with but unfortunately I don't. I do remember that every time I wanted to play that particular game, I had to disable a device.

You may also try the game site web page. Most of them offer blogs where you may find a possible solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2014   #3
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

I'd start off by removing the overclock. I'd also check the motherboard manual to find out exactly what frequency it supports for the RAM, then check the BIOS to find out what the RAM is actually set at.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phill3990 View Post
RAM - 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
HDD - 2TB HDD
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 270 2gb advanced dedicated graphics card
Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD 760G + SB710 Chipset DDR3 1333 AM3+ Micro ATX Motherboard (GA-78LMT-S2P)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2014   #4
Phill3990

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Manigue View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phill3990 View Post
Hey all,

I write this thread to ask for you assistance on behalf of my brother. Recently he purchased a pre-built gaming PC from amazon (He did not build or even pick parts for it). However even though the computer has good hardware, it experiences micro-stuttering or camera panning lag when playing online games. which would be attributed to lag in the game but when we play together mine is fine, no lag at all (We use same internet). I have tried to fix it by limiting FPS, changing settings like V-sync etc etc. He seems to think that the refresh rate on the monitor he uses could be the cause or that its the wrong type of screen.

PC Specs:

CPU - AMD FX 6300 6-core @ 4.0GHz (It came OC'd by the seller)
RAM - 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
HDD - 2TB HDD
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 270 2gb advanced dedicated graphics card
Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD 760G + SB710 Chipset DDR3 1333 AM3+ Micro ATX Motherboard (GA-78LMT-S2P)
OS - Windows 7 home premium 64bit
Monitor - ACER S236HL 23" HDMI Monitor

What I don't get is we play the same game and my PC is fine 100% smooth, no stutter, no lag.
His PC is better and he gets this stuttering. It has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated (If this is in the wrong topic, I apologize)

Thanks

Phill3990
It will probably help if you mention which game or games you are having the problem with.

Your brothers machine may be trying to find a game controller (if one is not used nor connected). Sometime back I had to disabling the game controller port or an HDMI audio port to correct this issue. I wish I could remember which gam[U]e I had the problem with but unfortunately I don't. I do remember that every time I wanted to play that particular game, I had to disable a device.

You may also try the game site web page. Most of them offer blogs where you may find a possible solution.
Hey,

The game is Final Fantasy 14, it seems to be limited to this game. Cannot figure out why it does it, the hardware is more than enough since mine plays it fine and his PC is better than mine.

Yesterday I performed a Pass mark Performance test 8.0 because I was curious:

His PC scored - 2520.9
Mine scored - 3085.6

I just don't understand why it is under-performing and it is of course frustrating for him because he paid a fair amount for it. I have tried websites for the game and general googling most people say to limit the FPS to 58-59 using radeon pro. We have tried this and did not seem to help.

Going to run the game today and check processes and Antivirus to see if anything is hogging the CPU while the game is up

Thanks for helping

Phill3990
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #5
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

What makes you think his PC is so much better than yours Phill?

For a quick comparison on Passmark..

Your GPU scores 4120
His GPU scores 4215

So no real difference.

Your CPU scores 7737
His CPU scores 6359

Your CPU is a fair bit better than his.

The fact that he has 16GB of Ram compared to your 8GB will have no effect as the game will not use anywhere near that amount.

I can't really help with the problem but I really don't think his PC is better than yours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #6
Phill3990

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
What makes you think his PC is so much better than yours Phill?

For a quick comparison on Passmark..

Your GPU scores 4120
His GPU scores 4215

So no real difference.

Your CPU scores 7737
His CPU scores 6359

Your CPU is a fair bit better than his.

The fact that he has 16GB of Ram compared to your 8GB will have no effect as the game will not use anywhere near that amount.

I can't really help with the problem but I really don't think his PC is better than yours.
I've realized this the last few days, the game worked perfectly fine on his old PC, then he got this one and all of a sudden all these issues. Perhaps I was hoping it was something small but it just seems like he should of built his own or at least let me do it for him. I can't even access the BIOS, I press the input button and nothing happens.


Phill3990
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #7
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

It could just be a driver issue. Worth trying out some older drivers to see if they make any difference. Or it could be the game is better optimized for Nvidia or something.

Are you hitting delete to try and get into his bios? I have not known of a PC before where the bios is totally inaccessible.

As far as his hardware is concerned the CPU costs around 75 to buy new compared to yours which is over 160. GPU wise both of yours cost around the same. I hope he didn't pay too much more than you did for the PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #8
Phill3990

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
It could just be a driver issue. Worth trying out some older drivers to see if they make any difference. Or it could be the game is better optimized for Nvidia or something.

Are you hitting delete to try and get into his bios? I have not known of a PC before where the bios is totally inaccessible.

As far as his hardware is concerned the CPU costs around 75 to buy new compared to yours which is over 160. GPU wise both of yours cost around the same. I hope he didn't pay too much more than you did for the PC.
When restarting I press DEL constantly and it still does not enter the BIOS. Mine cost about 450 (inc delivery) his cost about 600-650. He kind of thinks though, that his is way better than mine because of the stats of the PC and how much he paid. (Not including 80 for windows 7 he had to buy OS seperate)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #9
RoasterMen

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

The 6-core AMD is a joke, Your PC is still fairly better in benchmarks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2014   #10
badger906

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
 
 

the fx6300 cpu is awesome for the money!! gets my approval and stuck in every budget build I do for people.
can push it over 5ghz on a stock cooler!!

as for the issue its not a hardware issue if its limited to just this game. it could simply just be a compatablity issue!

just check all the drivers are up to date amd run fraps, see what fps youre actually getting. if its stuttering at 100fps then its again not because its struggling
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Micro-Stuttering in games




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Repeated Keystrokes cause micro stuttering
Hey all. I recently discovered a cause of micro stuttering I had been suffering from on most of my games which was repeated keystrokes. basically when strafing using WASD and moving the mouse it would create a micro stutter, where the keys repeating. I managed to find a temporary fix using...
Hardware & Devices
Upgrade RAM = (micro)stuttering in games
On my MSI GE60 0ND, I upgraded my RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB, adding a second stick of 4 GB DDR3 1600. RAM sticks have same specs (frequency, voltage, timings,...) but different brands. When I use 8 GB, games suffer of major microstuttering. When I remove a stick of RAM, games are smooth. ...
Gaming
Stuttering on Games
Hi there I am starting to lose patience with my laptop. Since the beginning of August, my games have started to stutter in gameplay. It is driving me mad now. This never happened before the end of July. I got my laptop in May 2011, and it was fine through May, June and July. Is the problem the...
Gaming
Games stuttering on LAPTOP
Hey, i have alienware m15x which i bought for gaming, but the game perforance is not up to the mark and are stuttering. Please suggest me how to tweak or remove this stuttering problems. FIFA 11,Need for speed SHIFT2 etc are the games. At first the games worked perfectly fine,but then suddenly...
Gaming
stuttering in games. (mainly valve)
mainly valve cause thats all i really play. ok well ive had this problem before and i had fixed it, came down to it being my caviar green 1tb drive, then went out and got a caviar black 1tb, and that had fixed it for a while. now its sort of back. this time it happens once in a blue moon. and does...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App