Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Don't pay for an nVidia gpu on an Intel chipset mobo w/ 4600 graphic

14 Nov 2014   #11
NickyCroc

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
Lenovo business practices

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickyCroc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoasterMen View Post

Does Metro 2033 does it also?
So my degree is in cybernetics, what's your's in? The Intel is an in-board and the nVidia is discrete; hence, if the BIOS has discrete turned off, the nVidia is not even used but turned on, is supposidly activated and in fact goes through the motions. The notes say it just so clearly that I don't understand why you need to 'translate' them. And I won't go into the programs because thankfully someone already has.

This post of mine is not meant for the, what will I call them, the "self-sufficient". It's meant for the open-minded, willing to learn types.

I didn't 'have' to take the time to write this; did it as a public service but some people will listen ... and others won't.
Does cybernetics give you qualifications with windows OS and Nvidia technologies? Last time I checked it didn't, this isn't a fight about qualifications, it's about a statement which was completely false, with proof found in the same notes you linked to, the Intel on board chipset CPU/GPU combo is designed to use other discrete GPU's when it's own can't handle the task at hand, all Nvidia GPU's whether they are discrete or not use PhysX, it's not a defective part, it's a software technology designed to be used with Nvidia GPU's, if it doesn't work as advertised then it's a software problem, not a hardware fault, if you asked one of our members to help with an issue you had with lenovo to start with instead of coming to your own conclusions, this would have turned out differently.

I do appreciate the time you've taken to write this, but I stand by my previous conclusion and we shall agree to disagree, other members will see this and also come to the same conclusion as myself.
Yes indeed, an ScD of Cybernetic Systems DOES qualify me so long as my understanding of what is involved in the System (computer hardware and-or software/or biological/or structural/or heating-cooling/etc) and how it/they are configured is correct. I am not arguing because I don't need to prove anything to myself or anyone else for that matter, only taking issue with a backhanded comment calling me a liar.

In any event you have provided pertinent, additional information that:

1- Was not provided by the manufacturer before/after the sale or ever

2- Actually proved my point that the information you provided was readily available and hence, any/every manufacturer should have been aware of it when configuring a 'system' for sale

3- I don't know how you could have helped me with Lenovo then or now

When I buy a refridgerator, Fisher & Paykill for instance as I think they are manufactured in your country and I happen to own one, I do not ask the salesperson details on how the motor is configured to the cooling system and how the chip in the display provides feedback to regulate coolness/features nor do I go online for that kind of detailed information.

What I do not understand is why, if it were a software problem, it wasn't easily fixed. Software modifications are a piece of cake. Instead they sold out of the product lines (mine in particular 8 months after I purchased it) that had the configuration, then did 'Clearance Sale' on spare parts in inventory (like batteries, an accessory) and never produced the accessories they advertised would be available. Having also run a profitable company I am knowledgeable as to cost of inventory and spare parts, cost of re-manufacturing and so forth. Yes I know your point relates to the tree in the forest, "it is software", and not these points but they do make it harder yet to swallow the software only pill.

So, from my perspective this thread is closed. I agree to disagree, if that is what you want; I do not agree to be labeled a liar. I am happy I do not have the where-with-all to tell other members of the forum that they must come to your conclusions, but so be it, that's your thing.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Nov 2014   #12
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

No one called you a liar. Saying something you stated isn't true does not mean he says you are lying about it. It only means you are mistaken or misinformed. I am not commenting on whether this is correct or not, only taking issue with saying you were labeled a liar. That did not happen. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2014   #13
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickyCroc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickyCroc View Post

So my degree is in cybernetics, what's your's in? The Intel is an in-board and the nVidia is discrete; hence, if the BIOS has discrete turned off, the nVidia is not even used but turned on, is supposidly activated and in fact goes through the motions. The notes say it just so clearly that I don't understand why you need to 'translate' them. And I won't go into the programs because thankfully someone already has.

This post of mine is not meant for the, what will I call them, the "self-sufficient". It's meant for the open-minded, willing to learn types.

I didn't 'have' to take the time to write this; did it as a public service but some people will listen ... and others won't.
Does cybernetics give you qualifications with windows OS and Nvidia technologies? Last time I checked it didn't, this isn't a fight about qualifications, it's about a statement which was completely false, with proof found in the same notes you linked to, the Intel on board chipset CPU/GPU combo is designed to use other discrete GPU's when it's own can't handle the task at hand, all Nvidia GPU's whether they are discrete or not use PhysX, it's not a defective part, it's a software technology designed to be used with Nvidia GPU's, if it doesn't work as advertised then it's a software problem, not a hardware fault, if you asked one of our members to help with an issue you had with lenovo to start with instead of coming to your own conclusions, this would have turned out differently.

I do appreciate the time you've taken to write this, but I stand by my previous conclusion and we shall agree to disagree, other members will see this and also come to the same conclusion as myself.
Yes indeed, an ScD of Cybernetic Systems DOES qualify me so long as my understanding of what is involved in the System (computer hardware and-or software/or biological/or structural/or heating-cooling/etc) and how it/they are configured is correct. I am not arguing because I don't need to prove anything to myself or anyone else for that matter, only taking issue with a backhanded comment calling me a liar.

In any event you have provided pertinent, additional information that:

1- Was not provided by the manufacturer before/after the sale or ever

2- Actually proved my point that the information you provided was readily available and hence, any/every manufacturer should have been aware of it when configuring a 'system' for sale

3- I don't know how you could have helped me with Lenovo then or now

What I do not understand is why, if it were a software problem, it wasn't easily fixed. Software modifications are a piece of cake. Instead they sold out of the product lines (mine in particular 8 months after I purchased it) that had the configuration, then did 'Clearance Sale' on spare parts in inventory (like batteries, an accessory) and never produced the accessories they advertised would be available. Having also run a profitable company I am knowledgeable as to cost of inventory and spare parts, cost of re-manufacturing and so forth. Yes I know your point relates to the tree in the forest, "it is software", and not these points but they do make it harder yet to swallow the software only pill.

So, from my perspective this thread is closed. I agree to disagree, if that is what you want; I do not agree to be labeled a liar. I am happy I do not have the where-with-all to tell other members of the forum that they must come to your conclusions, but so be it, that's your thing.
As "A Guy" has said above, nobody mentioned you were a liar, I said that your statement was false, you jumped to conclusions that clearly were not true along with slandering a company who clearly are not responsible for your misdoings, you chose to switch to windows 7 from windows 8, you changed the system software, that's not Lenovo's fault nor is it system builders faults if they choose to install motherboards with dual CPU/GPU chipsets.

Quote:
When I buy a refridgerator, Fisher & Paykill for instance as I think they are manufactured in your country and I happen to own one, I do not ask the salesperson details on how the motor is configured to the cooling system and how the chip in the display provides feedback to regulate coolness/features nor do I go online for that kind of detailed information.
If this is the case then why are you getting upset and angry at the refrigerator company when you changed the motor for a lesser model?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2014   #14
NickyCroc

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
No one called you a liar. Saying something you stated isn't true does not mean he says you are lying about it. It only means you are mistaken or misinformed. I am not commenting on whether this is correct or not, only taking issue with saying you were labeled a liar. That did not happen. A Guy
OK, A_Guy, I hear you and will 'take back' what I said about being called a liar. In fact enough time has gone by that I'm able to forgive anyone who took issue with 'me' instead of my problem --- which continues to run wild on the tech boards. Seems a lot of us non-techies continue with the problem, the latest one being:

This thread is located at:
Laptop only using Integrated GPU

Here is the message that has just been posted:
***************
Hi guys stumbled upon this thread and am having the same problem

I have recently purchased a new laptop with the following specs

Metabox Alpha W355SS-CTG02
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ

I've had it about for 1 week and have noticed a significant FPS drop when I play WoW or league of legends. I am 99% sure that the card is no longer being used for gameplay (although it is still recognised). In an attempt to fix this I have checked the device manager and it still shows that the device is working 'correctly' and still there.

I disabled the intel integrated 4600 graphics in the device manager and tried to play WoW again. Although this time i only got 2-5 fps. After doing this i tried to open up the NVIDIA control panel and it came up with an error 'You are currently not using a display attatched to the NVIDIA GPU.'

I restarted the laptop and went into the BIOS. And in the advanced section tab there was no option for 'discrete graphics.' I activated the integrated graphics and then ran a dxdiag.exe
In the display tab showed that the intel integrated graphics were working. And in the render tab it display the Nvidia Gpu (Im not sure what this means so forgive my ignorance.)

After all of this I uninstalled my NVIDIA driver and re-downloaded the latest one and still have the same problem.

Really not sure what options i have left with, any help would be appreciated.
***************


And as far as Lenovo Support is concerned, this is 'exactly' their 2nd solution, the first coming from their Texas support center which ignored the problem. If I bad-mouthed Lenovo, well then there are so many others bad-mouthing OTHER manufacturers, as seen above and here as well:

+++++++++++++++

I am the hardware technician tasked with repairing your Y410p. The reason you cannot manually choose the graphics adapter is the same as the ASUS customer in the provided URL below. I will let you read the article. All hardware diagnostics have passed and after telling the NVIDIA control panel to use the NVidia graphics adapter for Mass effect 3 the game runs great. I stressed the GPU with Furmark and saw 23fps frame rates while I was also stressing the CPU with Heavyload. This Laptop is definitely functioning as designed.

integrated graphics - How do I configure Mass Effect to run on my NVidia card, and not on the Intel card? - Super User

Consumer Systems Experts - SWAT
Lenovo United States
1009 Think Place Building 2 - Lab 2P22

Morrisville, NC 27560


+++++++++++++++


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2014   #15
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2015   #16
NickyCroc

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Thanks for the link MrNeeds and I'm headed there as soon as I tell you that this is my first time back in the forum which is why I never replied ... AND ... several things have occurred since.

1) Spoke with a great EA support person who had me run dxdiag.exe, discussed the 'seating' of the chip, etc.

2) Lenovo came out with a BIOS update and after the update I noticed a new BIOS option, something like Graphic and with two choices, one was Integrated and the other Discrete, which it had defaulted to.

3) I used different combinations of Intel-nVidia drivers with different default graphic individual choices, really just playing around at that point.

Now I'm not sure what the order of those three things were or what overlapped what, but I am sure that 'something' happened because my Fraps FPS suddenly went berserk! I started to get readings in the neighbourhood of 1100-1200 and I could hear the machine almost feel it. And since I was also running Speccy, I saw the CPU and GPU temperatures go into the red zone, pushing 177-179 degrees Fahrenheit!

Of course I had to take emergency action as the displays were blacking out/in/out but I used the 'in' to pull those fps and temps on a couple of separate occasions. I then reset EVERYTHING to defaults, including the Windows System Performance options for Display/Performance, Task manager's Priority and Affinity options for the session, etc.

I believe, and I hope, that I am now running as intended; I still have to keep the Vertical Synch set to the display (On) so my fps=59/60 and never more. I'm thinking the 'Optimus' strategy is now working in spite of the fact that the PhysX= display still shows CPU for Mass Effect 3 and the nVidia is apparently still not found by dxdiag. I've since downloaded/installed/run 'Sims 4' and 'The Witcher' and 'Inquisition' and they all run great, look great, but I now pay attention to the temperatures anyway.

OK, headed to your link. Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2015   #17
NickyCroc

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
Good to go....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post
Thanks for the link MrNeeds and I'm headed there as soon as I tell you that this is my first time back in the forum which is why I never replied ... AND ... several things have occurred since.

1) Spoke with a great EA support person who had me run dxdiag.exe, discussed the 'seating' of the chip, etc.

2) Lenovo came out with a BIOS update and after the update I noticed a new BIOS option, something like Graphic and with two choices, one was Integrated and the other Discrete, which it had defaulted to.

3) I used different combinations of Intel-nVidia drivers with different default graphic individual choices, really just playing around at that point.

Now I'm not sure what the order of those three things were or what overlapped what, but I am sure that 'something' happened because my Fraps FPS suddenly went berserk! I started to get readings in the neighbourhood of 1100-1200 and I could hear the machine almost feel it. And since I was also running Speccy, I saw the CPU and GPU temperatures go into the red zone, pushing 177-179 degrees Fahrenheit!

Of course I had to take emergency action as the displays were blacking out/in/out but I used the 'in' to pull those fps and temps on a couple of separate occasions. I then reset EVERYTHING to defaults, including the Windows System Performance options for Display/Performance, Task manager's Priority and Affinity options for the session, etc.

I believe, and I hope, that I am now running as intended; I still have to keep the Vertical Synch set to the display (On) so my fps=59/60 and never more. I'm thinking the 'Optimus' strategy is now working in spite of the fact that the PhysX= display still shows CPU for Mass Effect 3 and the nVidia is apparently still not found by dxdiag. I've since downloaded/installed/run 'Sims 4' and 'The Witcher' and 'Inquisition' and they all run great, look great, but I now pay attention to the temperatures anyway.

OK, headed to your link. Thanks again.
[This Reply is intended for the last dated post]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2015   #18
NickyCroc

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

[QUOTE=NickyCroc;3101714]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post

I'm going to give it a try after I create a backup+image because the specs are for earlier chipsets but now I also want to see what it was that I downloaded because the release date rings a bell, but here's the spec sheet:

Software name NVIDIA Optimus Display Driver
Support models ThinkPad T430, T430i, T430s, T430si ThinkPad T530, T530i ThinkPad W530 ThinkPad L430
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Refer to marketing materials to find out what computer models support which Operating Systems.
Versions 9.18.13.4535
(NVIDIA Graphics Driver) 1.3.32.1
(NVIDIA HD Audio Driver) 8.15.10.2725
(Intel Graphics Driver) 6.14.00.3090
(Intel HD Audio Driver)
Support devices NVIDIA NVS 5200M NVIDIA NVS 5400M NVIDIA Quadro K1000M NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
Intel HD Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 Intel HD Graphics 4000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I never mentioned in the prior post that I did download/install newer Lenovo drivers too and spoke with nVidia>removed 2 highest ranking Lenovo drivers, etc. but this has me intrigued. I'll get back to you!

It's holiday time here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2015   #19
MrNeeds

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

[QUOTE=NickyCroc;3101736]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickyCroc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrNeeds View Post

I'm going to give it a try after I create a backup+image because the specs are for earlier chipsets but now I also want to see what it was that I downloaded because the release date rings a bell, but here's the spec sheet:

Software name NVIDIA Optimus Display Driver
Support models ThinkPad T430, T430i, T430s, T430si ThinkPad T530, T530i ThinkPad W530 ThinkPad L430
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Refer to marketing materials to find out what computer models support which Operating Systems.
Versions 9.18.13.4535
(NVIDIA Graphics Driver) 1.3.32.1
(NVIDIA HD Audio Driver) 8.15.10.2725
(Intel Graphics Driver) 6.14.00.3090
(Intel HD Audio Driver)
Support devices NVIDIA NVS 5200M NVIDIA NVS 5400M NVIDIA Quadro K1000M NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
Intel HD Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 Intel HD Graphics 4000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I never mentioned in the prior post that I did download/install newer Lenovo drivers too and spoke with nVidia>removed 2 highest ranking Lenovo drivers, etc. but this has me intrigued. I'll get back to you!

It's holiday time here
Altogether it sounds quite good, at least it's starting to work as intended anyways, keep us posted Nicky

MrNeeds
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2015   #20
NickyCroc

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

[QUOTE=MrNeeds;3101762]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickyCroc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickyCroc View Post


I'm going to give it a try after I create a backup+image because the specs are for earlier chipsets but now I also want to see what it was that I downloaded because the release date rings a bell, but here's the spec sheet:

Software name NVIDIA Optimus Display Driver
Support models ThinkPad T430, T430i, T430s, T430si ThinkPad T530, T530i ThinkPad W530 ThinkPad L430
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Refer to marketing materials to find out what computer models support which Operating Systems.
Versions 9.18.13.4535
(NVIDIA Graphics Driver) 1.3.32.1
(NVIDIA HD Audio Driver) 8.15.10.2725
(Intel Graphics Driver) 6.14.00.3090
(Intel HD Audio Driver)
Support devices NVIDIA NVS 5200M NVIDIA NVS 5400M NVIDIA Quadro K1000M NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
Intel HD Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 Intel HD Graphics 4000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I never mentioned in the prior post that I did download/install newer Lenovo drivers too and spoke with nVidia>removed 2 highest ranking Lenovo drivers, etc. but this has me intrigued. I'll get back to you!

It's holiday time here
Altogether it sounds quite good, at least it's starting to work as intended anyways, keep us posted Nicky

MrNeeds

i will do so MrNeeds but until then, your link gave me tbe idea to mod it a bit and I found these 15 results most of which have been updated this year, 2015, and others 2014:
Site Search - Lenovo Support (US)

Just amazing! Thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Don't pay for an nVidia gpu on an Intel chipset mobo w/ 4600 graphic




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My windows only reads Intel Graphic Card Family instead of nvidia 840M
Hello everyone, I just bought new laptop for gaming but i found that my laptop reads the graphic card of intel family not nvidia and i don't know why... I tried to disable it from the device manager but nothing happen and when i check it again it was unreadable too and it changed from Intel...
Graphic Cards
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Good Evening Any one out there that could possibly help in getting Transport Giant Gold edition (without any other mods installed) to run on my new HP model. HP Pro Book 450 G1. What amazes me is that an older program called Freight Tycoon runs perfectly, but the TG Gold "stops" at the menu,...
Graphic Cards
What Games on Intel HD 4600?
Hi all... What games are playable on good settings with this Internal GPU on my CPU? And will it run GTA Episodes from Liberty City Stories fine? I'm playing CS:GO which runs on high settings by default smoothly also downloading DOTA 2 which runs on Max as well.
Gaming
Monitor managed by integrated Intel HD graphic and not by NVIDIA card
Hi, I've a new SAMSUNG laptop (Intel core i5 processor) running Win 7. Device Manager shows that exist a (core i5) integrated graphic card (Intel HD graphics family) and a NVIDIA GT 520MX card. It shows the laptop monitor (Generic PnP monitor) managed by Intel HD graphics family and not by...
Graphic Cards
No more than 1027x768 on a Intel 910 graphic chipset
Hi, I tried to install windows seven 32 in a laptop : fujitsu siemens Amilo 1450G, which graphic card is a Intel 910 (915 family). And I can have more than 1024x768 I installed Windows seven pre-release on january, and I did'nt hav any problem. Can somebody help me ? THx
Graphic Cards
Nvidia, Intel fight over chipset licensing
Sparks are flying between Intel and Nvidia right now. A statement from the latter about an Intel court filing popped into our inbox this morning, suggesting that Intel wants to keep Nvidia chipsets out of systems with Core i7 processors—and upcoming derivatives likes Lynnfield and Arrandale. ...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App