Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition Access denied issues

11 Sep 2015   #1
Elliott

Windows 7 32 bit Premium
 
 
Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition Access denied issues

I have never had this message in the past, but everytime I click on the simcity 4 icon, I receive this message

Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition Access denied issues-error-message.png

I have already attempted re-starting my computer, I have run as administrator several times, but I continue to receive the same message.

Any aid would be greatly appreciated!




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Sep 2015   #2
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

This is a known problem lately with a recent Windows update that has affected games using SecuROM copy protection and "secdrv". You can try running this code in a batch file:
Code:

start cmd.exe /k "sc config secdrv start=demand"
start cmd.exe /k "sc start secdrv"
 
 
Then try running SimCity 4.

After you're done playing, you can shut off secdrv by running this code in a batch file:

Code:

start cmd.exe /k "sc stop secdrv"
start cmd.exe /k "sc config secdrv start=disabled"
The /k switch just keeps the windows open, you can change it to /c if you like, which will close the window for you. I put this into a couple of batch files so it's easy to run when I need to start Civilization 4, which is also affected by this little mess from Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2015   #3
johno67

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

This just affected me after the Critical Update on Sept. 9...I had no warning and couldn't understand why SimCity wouldn't open...I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and still got the error message. THEN I did a Google search and found this explanation for the problem.

Now here's my question...I did a System Restore to get my computer back to before the 9-9-15 critical update...is this issue going to be resolved with some kind of patch in the near future, or is SimCity4 just no longer going to work ever again? (I don't know if I can deal with that...I spend a LOT of time playing SC4 and can't bear the thought of it just being taken away from me like that). The workaround seems a bit clunky and all to have to do EVERY TIME I want to play SC4. I realize its a 12-year-old game but it still works just fine (or did...) and I get a lot of enjoyment from it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Sep 2015   #4
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

You would be better off instead if you enable/disable the service as needed like Mellon Head showed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2015   #5
johno67

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

I'm sure I will...but my question remains...do you think there will be any kind of patch offered for this in the future?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2015   #6
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I believe it depends, some game companies (publisher/developer or whatever) will release an update or remove the DRM, while others will not do anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2015   #7
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johno67 View Post
This just affected me after the Critical Update on Sept. 9...I had no warning and couldn't understand why SimCity wouldn't open...I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and still got the error message. THEN I did a Google search and found this explanation for the problem.

Now here's my question...I did a System Restore to get my computer back to before the 9-9-15 critical update...is this issue going to be resolved with some kind of patch in the near future, or is SimCity4 just no longer going to work ever again? (I don't know if I can deal with that...I spend a LOT of time playing SC4 and can't bear the thought of it just being taken away from me like that). The workaround seems a bit clunky and all to have to do EVERY TIME I want to play SC4. I realize its a 12-year-old game but it still works just fine (or did...) and I get a lot of enjoyment from it.
> I had no warning
From whom were you expecting a warning?

> is this issue going to be resolved with some kind of patch in the near future
Are you asking if Microsoft will patch this issue?
Or
Are you asking if the game maker will patch this issue?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johno67 View Post
I'm sure I will...but my question remains...do you think there will be any kind of patch offered for this in the future?
There will not be a patch from Microsoft... if that is what you are asking.


Read this link that GokAy posted to similar thread:
Total War games will no longer work at all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2015   #8
johno67

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

No need to get snarky on me. I was asking if ANYONE (Microsoft or EA) would be offering a patch.

At any rate...I found better solutions to the problem over in the Simtropolis forums, as those people are, like me, dedicated to the SimCity problem specifically, so thanks for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2015   #9
Richardc267

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johno67 View Post
No need to get snarky on me. I was asking if ANYONE (Microsoft or EA) would be offering a patch.

At any rate...I found better solutions to the problem over in the Simtropolis forums, as those people are, like me, dedicated to the SimCity problem specifically, so thanks for your help.
I don't think that was their intention. Sorry. As for EA? That's laughable. EA doesn't pay attention to their older games, seeing as they take out support of their games after only a few years. SC4 they no longer care about, seeing how old it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Simcity 4 Deluxe Edition Access denied issues




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Security issues (Access Denied)
I've been pulling my hair out over this issue, or should I say, these issues. Firstly, a a minor issue. When I try to rename folders, or delete folders on my 2nd drive D, windows 7 keeps asking for admin permission. Why? How can I stop it from happening? I am the admin. I've tried taking...
General Discussion
SimCity 4 Deluxe Box - Insert Play Disc and Restart Game
Hey everyone. This one has me frustrated. I bought a new retail version of SimCity 4 Deluxe Box Set and installed it. ( Don't judge!! I like the city building games!! :geek: ) Anyways.. It wont fire up after the install. I will give me a picture of a suspension bridge and a window with...
Gaming
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Deluxe
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Deluxe for $18.75 on Steam. - OK, I've been thinking about getting this game. Worth it? - Any Windows 7 x64-bit issue with Steam? BTW I already have Steam so the "Steam bites" comments are unnecessary as I personally have no issue...
Gaming
Access denied and user privileges issues
Hi, I am experiencing weird issues with my Windows 7 64bit Pro installation. Some, but not all, programs won’t start, giving me a “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000022 click ok to close the application” error. It seems that 0xc0000022 is linked to some kind of access denied...
BSOD Help and Support
Software won't install and "access denied" issues
After I happily switched back to XP for a while, I was forced to do something, because my XP system partition gave me a lot of grief with the infamous events 51 and 9 and the day before yesterday I virtually stumbled from one BSOD to the next, while preparing a new 7 install on a different hd. I...
Software
WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe Edition // Windows 7
Hi from Poland. Long time ago I bought WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe Edition. These days I was using Windows XP and everything was alright, but some time ago I installed Windows 7 and all the TV programmes are black and white and there is no sound at all! I tried the Leadtek official site, but didn't...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App