Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sudden FPS Drops in my games

23 Mar 2016   #1
logo897

windows xp, 7 home premium 64-bit, 10 on diff hard drives
 
 
Sudden FPS Drops in my games

Hello all,

Just wanted to say that my older alienware laptop is giving me major fps drops on games.

My laptop model is the m14x r1

The specs are

Core i7-2820QM CPU @2.30Ghz

Ram: 8GB ddr3

GPU: Nvidia gt555m (3GB)

OS: W7 Home premium

500GB HGST 7200RPM hard drive

Are there any fixes I can do not involving hardware?

I took the laptop apart and put it back together and of course, two big things broke, (Mousepad, wifi card), and my LED on my keyboard. Ouch. So I rather not take this apart again and I also cannot take it to the PC store right now. If I have to, it'll take a while to save up to do so. I bought a new laptop but it's not performing as good as this laptop is amazingly, so I rather just fix this one. I do not think I can return the new laptop since I installed windows 7 over 10 on it, sadly. I just tested games on it and I'm not impressed for its cpu and dedicated GPU. Very dissapointed.

But anyways, If I fix this fps drop issue, I'll be golden for this laptop. I do not need to fix any of the things I broke right now for I have an external mouse and ethernet cable to my wifi box next to me.

Thank you in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Mar 2016   #2
The Fonz

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

When playing, are you running applications or downloads/installs in the background (Either on this computer or another machine)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2016   #3
HamidJ

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I'd recommend making sure your drivers are up to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Mar 2016   #4
logo897

windows xp, 7 home premium 64-bit, 10 on diff hard drives
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
When playing, are you running applications or downloads/installs in the background (Either on this computer or another machine)?

I will try it again with no downloads. Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2016   #5
logo897

windows xp, 7 home premium 64-bit, 10 on diff hard drives
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HamidJ View Post
I'd recommend making sure your drivers are up to date.
Okay, will do.

Do you know any free driver updating software that I can use?

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2016   #6
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

I would want to use those, I much rather go to each manufacturer and get what I need. You only need the audio and video drivers really.

Make sure to install everything the games wants... DirectX, CC++, etc,.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2016   #7
logo897

windows xp, 7 home premium 64-bit, 10 on diff hard drives
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
I would want to use those, I much rather go to each manufacturer and get what I need. You only need the audio and video drivers really.

Make sure to install everything the games wants... DirectX, CC++, etc,.
Hi,

I already have both the audio and videos drivers

and the game's install all of the needed components.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2016   #8
anwaypasible

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

i've seen 542 frames per second drop down to 115 frames per second playing fear combat.
the game doesn't use 400mb (less really) with a 2gb graphics card.
seems bad.

can you come up with any reason, such as other players on the screen and|or other effects such as sparks flying or something?
can you go to an empty server or some empty area of a map without any action & the fps drops continue to happen?
if you can't be anywhere without any animation & no movement of the mouse or keyboard & no other players without a steady frame per second, then there's something wrong.
i wasn't able to do it for a while, had to look up some tweaks - but after those tweaks is when i got the large fps difference (those results are from a fraps benchmark).

if they bounce up & down without anything going on in the screen, then you've probably got a processor scheduling problem.

i looked up some benchmark scores of 3dmark cloud gate & that graphics card scores the same as a gtx285 (a little lower honestly) - and that is with a core2quad q6600.

are your expectations of the card too low?
you didn't really say anything other than sudden fps drops, yet everybody gets 'em when the action in the game is higher than without.
the only way to avoid it is to use a graphics card that is fast enough to hold a steady fps with vsync on.
(tweaking the processor scheduling could get you more fps, but it won't stop the fps from dropping)
but as i said, is it a big drop as if something is seriously wrong - or are you new to video games on the computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2016   #9
logo897

windows xp, 7 home premium 64-bit, 10 on diff hard drives
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anwaypasible View Post
i've seen 542 frames per second drop down to 115 frames per second playing fear combat.
the game doesn't use 400mb (less really) with a 2gb graphics card.
seems bad.

can you come up with any reason, such as other players on the screen and|or other effects such as sparks flying or something?
can you go to an empty server or some empty area of a map without any action & the fps drops continue to happen?
if you can't be anywhere without any animation & no movement of the mouse or keyboard & no other players without a steady frame per second, then there's something wrong.
i wasn't able to do it for a while, had to look up some tweaks - but after those tweaks is when i got the large fps difference (those results are from a fraps benchmark).

if they bounce up & down without anything going on in the screen, then you've probably got a processor scheduling problem.

i looked up some benchmark scores of 3dmark cloud gate & that graphics card scores the same as a gtx285 (a little lower honestly) - and that is with a core2quad q6600.

are your expectations of the card too low?
you didn't really say anything other than sudden fps drops, yet everybody gets 'em when the action in the game is higher than without.
the only way to avoid it is to use a graphics card that is fast enough to hold a steady fps with vsync on.
(tweaking the processor scheduling could get you more fps, but it won't stop the fps from dropping)
but as i said, is it a big drop as if something is seriously wrong - or are you new to video games on the computer?
Hi, will do when I get the laptop back since I just gave it to my friend to work on.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sudden FPS Drops in my games




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
EVGA GTX 780 ti ACX SC frame drops in battlefield 4 and other games.
This thread might also require window installation technician support along with game technician support. So I got this problem with my graphic card, it suffers low and constant fps drops which shouldn't be happening. Examples like Planet Side 2, I get 50~60 fps on both low and Ultra graphic....
Gaming
Amd fx-8150 sudden fps drops gpu usage bouncing around
i have a fx-8150 mounted on a msi 970a-g46 lately i have noticed fps drops in bf3 my gpu usage bouncing everywhere between 50%-100% i have a xfx 7970 3gb. with corsair 700watt and antec water cooling. this cpu is overclocked at 4.30ghz idle temps are around 30-36c when running bf3 on ultra settings...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Videocard driver have crashed a lot lately, also sudden fps drops.
Last week: "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.22 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." happened three times while gaming. I really didnīt mind because i knew it occur sometimes but not normally that often, also normally game would still work normally...
Graphic Cards
FPS drops in most of my games
Hello! Recently, I have suffered strange FPS drops in most of my games. The weirdest thing is, that FPS drops occur not all the time. For example, I can start a game now and it will be running smoothly at 60-99 FPS. Then I can immediately close the game and start it again, and it will be very...
Gaming
Strange lags and FPS drops when playing all various games on my PC
Hello everyone! I have a small amount of strange my PC games problems, so I would like to describe them to you and expect effective advices. Recently, I have reinstalled my OS Windows 7 due to Windows freezing on Welcome screen. Why it was freezing on Welcome screen I don't know, but I have...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App