Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Just wondering how others FPS' are

01 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 
Just wondering how others FPS' are

I was just wondering how other's FPS in various game compare to that of their old operating system. For me, I came from xp profressional 64 bit and xp home edition 32 bit before that, and it seems my fps is a decent amount lower on windows 7. Everything is still pretty smooth and playable, just curious as to how it has affected others.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 RTM 64bit
 
 

How much Ram do you have, One loss in FPS might be RAM, It takes more ram to run windows 7 then it does for XP with all the extras, I noticed a increase compared to my Vista or XP OS's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 

4 gb (2x 2gb) Gskill DDR2 1066

I doubted that as well because im running 32-bit version which only can use 2.75gb till i get my copy of 64-bit, but when i check my performance tab, i 3/4 to 1 gb available even during gameplay.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

It would time for a gpu upgrade - that 8800GTX is old. A 5770 would be good if you don't want to spend too much otherwise a 5850/70 would be a good option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
It would time for a gpu upgrade - that 8800GTX is old. A 5770 would be good if you don't want to spend too much otherwise a 5850/70 would be a good option.

I still use an 8800GTX, on counterstrike source i get 250 fps. All newer games, MW2 etc.... it plays on full everything. Dead Space, Crysis and everything it plays fine, with good graphics. Hardly say that the 8800GTX is dead just yet. And there still a card thats going on ebay for at least 75 pound. And beats the snot out of some stuff even to this day imho, i was considering an upgrade a few weeks ago, talked to the pro gamer who works in a store near me. To quote him ' not worth spending money on a few FPS increase, plenty life in it yet'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 

Yeah that's how I looked at it. I was thinking bout getting one of the higher end GTX 2xx cards, but then realized that my fps is pretty good, just a bit lower for some reason on windows 7. It may be my ram though cause its not very good stuff. On the Window 7 index thing memory got like a 5.5 compared to 7+ on almost everything else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #7

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

Mine's significantly increased, since i got a new PC, and it sports a Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 1GB Edition. also run 4GB ram @ 912MHZ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

you can't just randomly recommend someone get a new gpu. you need to know what games they are playing, what resolution, monitors, and so forth. it always makes me cringe when someone says you need a new gpu just because your current one is old. he says he is happy with the fps he is getting now, just finds it curious that he took a noticeable performance drop by moving from XP. the only reason he should upgrade is if he wants to move to a bigger monitor, or play crysis on max settings at high resolution or something. basically if he's unhappy with the fps he is getting, he should upgrade.

anyway, the biggest drawback to older cards on Windows 7 is the drivers, I've noticed. ATI, for example, essentially cut off support for cards older than 3 years. i suspect with a newer card you would notice less of a performance difference between XP and 7.

all that said, moving to a 5770 could possibly double his framerates as well as offering decreased power consumption, noise, and DX11 (fwiw). it's a little hard to tell if he'll actually get double the performance though, since all the reviews use core i7 CPUs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
you can't just randomly recommend someone get a new gpu. you need to know what games they are playing, what resolution, monitors, and so forth. it always makes me cringe when someone says you need a new gpu just because your current one is old. he says he is happy with the fps he is getting now, just finds it curious that he took a noticeable performance drop by moving from XP. the only reason he should upgrade is if he wants to move to a bigger monitor, or play crysis on max settings at high resolution or something. basically if he's unhappy with the fps he is getting, he should upgrade.

anyway, the biggest drawback to older cards on Windows 7 is the drivers, I've noticed. ATI, for example, essentially cut off support for cards older than 3 years. i suspect with a newer card you would notice less of a performance difference between XP and 7.

all that said, moving to a 5770 could possibly double his framerates as well as offering decreased power consumption, noise, and DX11 (fwiw). it's a little hard to tell if he'll actually get double the performance though, since all the reviews use core i7 CPUs.
With an 8800GTX, any card capable of average gaming performance would be enough - like the 5770 you mentioned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #10

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by csshakka View Post
I was just wondering how other's FPS in various game compare to that of their old operating system. For me, I came from xp profressional 64 bit and xp home edition 32 bit before that, and it seems my fps is a decent amount lower on windows 7. Everything is still pretty smooth and playable, just curious as to how it has affected others.

Flight Sim 2004 is running roughly 1/2 the FPS I was getting on the same PC that I ran it on with XP. I've asked on the Avsim forum and here, but nothing has panned out to increase the FPS. I'm a bit bummed about that, as FPS near the ground and at airports is quite sucky, to use a technical term. Up at altitude with few ground features visible, I can get over 50-60 FPS, but otherwise it runs as low as 7 and averages around 15-29. I've tried 3 different Nvidia driver versions. Rivatuner 2.24 hasn't helped at all. I'm out of things to try, for the moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Just wondering how others FPS' are





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Just wondering how others FPS' are
Thread Forum
Wondering... General Discussion
Just Wondering Network & Sharing
Solved Just wondering General Discussion
I was just wondering.... Gaming
Wondering Chillout Room
hmm, just wondering what this is for? General Discussion
Just wondering. Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33