Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: So what is this comp's bottleneck?!?!?!?!?!

02 Feb 2010   #31
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Why would you even want to run at 100fps or more?
You don't, but if it can run at 100+fps then with vsync enabled you will have a solid 60FPS.

As for the eye not being able to notice more than than 24fps, technically that may be true - but when it comes to games 24FPS vs 60+FPS is VERY noticeable.

For the OP, as others have mentioned, it's your CPU that is the bottleneck.

At a res of 1680x1050, a Video card is only just starting to take the majority of the workload off the CPU.

Resolutions below 1680x1050, it is the CPU that is still doing most of the work.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Feb 2010   #32
SLIICE

Windows 7 Ultimate [64bit]
 
 

You really need to over clock the AMD CPU to around 2.4Ghz +. or think about upgrading to the AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.10GHz Black Edition only 72.00 of so.

Slightly increase the core clock, shader clock + memory clock on GPU by around 100Mhz. or get a Nvidia one, 8800 GTX would be great choice if you can find one as they are the all time greats cards in the world. but any 260 - 295 series one would be fine.

Your ram will have increased when clocking the CPU so thats all good (try keeping a to a standard multiplier)

Jobs a good'en
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #33
Artonox

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
General Rules:
1. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
2. No purposely posting or asking to be posted, any malicious content (any content or links containing malware).
3. No useless posts. This includes: Thread bumping, multi or cross posting the same question in different forums, useless one liners, flaming, and Trolling.
Rule Number 3
woops sorry, overlooked that one

anyways, ive ordered a "more than decent" cooler and some paste from ebay to get ready for keep the cpu temps down whilst i overclock (probably overkill for a first time tbh but better safe than sorry). Ill get overclocking and ill update u guys with the results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Feb 2010   #34
Artonox

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SLIICE View Post
You really need to over clock the AMD CPU to around 2.4Ghz +. or think about upgrading to the AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.10GHz Black Edition only 72.00 of so.

Slightly increase the core clock, shader clock + memory clock on GPU by around 100Mhz. or get a Nvidia one, 8800 GTX would be great choice if you can find one as they are the all time greats cards in the world. but any 260 - 295 series one would be fine.

Your ram will have increased when clocking the CPU so thats all good (try keeping a to a standard multiplier)

Jobs a good'en
ty for the advice.
ill keep it one step at a time for now :P.

1) oc cpu
2) oc gpu

p.s. i thought 4870>8800gtx?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2010   #35
SLIICE

Windows 7 Ultimate [64bit]
 
 

I get 7.7 Graphics + 7.7 Gaming scores in windows 7 and that really ant pushing the cards to hard, i get around 35 fps (average) in the crysis bench mark program running at ultra high settings, 1920x1200 4xAA DX10.

Now consider that a 340.00 GeForce GTX 285 2048MB, less than few months old only gets a score of 7.3 Graphics + 7.3 Gaming in windows 7 + ATI Radeon 4870 scores a 7.6 Graphics + 7.6 Gaming , the 3 year old, yes 3 year old 8800 GTX + ULTRA GPU's are still beating the best. furthermore in the last months "custom pc" mag the 8800 GTX were added to the "hardware hall of fame" and in this month "custom pc" theres a huge artical about the impressive life span, and the non-need to upgrade from the 8800 GTX + ULTRA.

Anyway good luck with the over-clocking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2010   #36
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SLIICE View Post
I get 7.7 Graphics + 7.7 Gaming scores in windows 7 and that really ant pushing the cards to hard, i get around 35 fps (average) in the crysis bench mark program running at ultra high settings, 1920x1200 4xAA DX10.

Now consider that a 340.00 GeForce GTX 285 2048MB, less than few months old only gets a score of 7.3 Graphics + 7.3 Gaming in windows 7 + ATI Radeon 4870 scores a 7.6 Graphics + 7.6 Gaming , the 3 year old, yes 3 year old 8800 GTX + ULTRA GPU's are still beating the best. furthermore in the last months "custom pc" mag the 8800 GTX were added to the "hardware hall of fame" and in this month "custom pc" theres a huge artical about the impressive life span, and the non-need to upgrade from the 8800 GTX + ULTRA.

Anyway good luck with the over-clocking.
A single 4890 is more stable than 3 of those and received a 7.6, as for Crysis all settings set to High @ 1920x1080 and AA off gives 41FPS. They don't support DirectX 10.1 either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #37
SLIICE

Windows 7 Ultimate [64bit]
 
 

Your points are valid my friend.

But....

I've never had any reiablity problems with nvidia tri sli technolgy.

As for the Crysis bench mark, i have no witty comment 41fps is better than 35fps.

And yes true they dont support DX10.1 but i can live with that. Really carnt see the point in upgrading to DX10.1 at the moment from DX10. I'll wait for the next DX leap or possibly the one after that.

....Long live the old tech....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #38
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SLIICE View Post
I'll wait for the next DX leap or possibly the one after that.

....Long live the old tech....
Which would be the current DX11...

10.1 is no big deal as rarely any titles actually use the added benefits of 10.1 anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #39
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

3 cards may do do slightly better than the 1 single card but ...they aren't doing better by very much. .1 on the WEI.

By the time you add power consumption/total heat output ...
they would be FAR behind IMO in grand scheme of things.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #40
SicCorona

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

100 fps is noticeable in CSS. That rig should be getting 100fps however i would say its the cpu bottlenecking. I'm not sure why considering how old CSS is, however, its most likely true. I went from a E6600 to an E8400 and that meant the difference of 300 fps in the Video Stress Test.

just my 2 cents
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 So what is this comp's bottleneck?!?!?!?!?!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Hard drive from one comp work in another comp like it did before?
My dad has expensive construction software that he needs on a day to day basis, but his laptop is dying and very slow. Currently his laptop runs Vista x86, and I wanted to give him my laptop that runs 7 x64. Could I swap the hard drives so that its an easy transition, or would that not work? Thanks...
General Discussion
GTS 250 bottleneck?
Hey everyone I was just wondering if I was bottlenecking since I'm pretty sure I can get more out of my card. My specs are: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3GHz Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 4GB DDR2 RAM XFX GeForce GTS 250 @ 800MHz thx
Graphic Cards
transfer data from comp to comp
I just bought a belkin easy transfer wire thinking it'll let me transfer files from one computer to another... it seems it just transfer whole accounts without asking me what I want to transfer over. I was looking for a better option than transferring to USB then transferring to other computer....
Performance & Maintenance
Bottleneck
Hi!I am going to replace my old leadtek px8600 gts with a gigabyte gtx460 768mb.So i was wondering what would bottleneck my pc next after this 8600 gts which was obviusly bottlenecking.and what component would you recommend to buy next?
Hardware & Devices
Bottleneck?
Hey everyone. I purchased a GTS 250 a while back, and I have never been really impressed with it's performance. I expect more out of it, I was wondering if it was my CPU that was not good enough to work side by side with my GPU. My specs are in the drop down menu below this post. thanks
Hardware & Devices
heres the comp specs for new comp
ThinkCentre M58 Series Tower - Limited On-site Warranty 3 Year Parts / 3 Year Labor Description Part number Unit price* Quantity Price* ThinkCentre M58 Series Tower - Limited On-site Warranty 3 Year Parts / 3 Year Labor Edit 7373CTO $1,306.00 1 $1,306.00 System...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App