Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: ARGH! Doom, Doom, Doom...

23 Feb 2010   #1
Froggy

Windows 7 x64
 
 
ARGH! Doom, Doom, Doom...

Hi, new here and I must say yu'all have a nice place here.

My problem is this...I recently installed DOOM 3 and it will not run due to a failed start and have tryied Com lining for hours ending in a total refit&reload. What can I do to correct DOOM 3's failure to communicate with 7.

My Cofiguration is:
[Custom build #5]
Asus p5p55d premium
i7 860
Win 7 pro x64
8gb ocz 1600
etc...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Feb 2010   #2
dave1812

Win7
 
 

PC gaming is such a drag! I gave up 2 years ago. My wife urged me to stop dinking around with PC based games (too many hassles) and just get a PS3. I did and now I spend ZERO time making a game work. Like apple says, "it just works". 100% of my gaming is devoted to actually PLAYING the game. Sort of like going from used cars to new cars. the used cars need periodic work. Being an ex auto tech, the last thing I want to do is work on my own cars. New vehicles solve that problem! Just like a PS3 will solve gaming issues. or the Xbox (not my kinda machine--23%failure rate and noisy, no blu ray, no onboard wifi)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2010   #3
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Hi, new here and I must say yu'all have a nice place here.

My problem is this...I recently installed DOOM 3 and it will not run due to a failed start and have tryied Com lining for hours ending in a total refit&reload. What can I do to correct DOOM 3's failure to communicate with 7.

My Cofiguration is:
[Custom build #5]
Asus p5p55d premium
i7 860
Win 7 pro x64
8gb ocz 1600
etc...
Have you tried running the game as admin in xp compatibility mode?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Feb 2010   #4
Froggy

Windows 7 x64
 
 

To tell the truth, Downloaded xp mode and cannot get that running (cannot find the .exe App to start xp in the virtual machine... any thoughts?).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2010   #5
Fumz

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Go find Doom3.exe, right click on it and select properties, then the compatibility tab. There you'll find the option to run in different compatibility modes... default is xp sp3, but you might find that sp2 may run better?

What exactly did you download?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2010   #6
sygnus21

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

I've said this a thousand times...

Try updating your DirectX Files first, before doing all the drastic stuff like removing this, disabling that.

Try the web installer first - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime. if you have issues getting it to update, then download the entire 104MB file here Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

Contrary to popular belief even though Windows 7 is DX11 capable, you STILL need to update the DX9 files. And Microsoft continues to update all the DX files so updates are still in order.

In short when ever there are W7 game issues, try updating the DX files first!

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #7
Froggy

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
Go find Doom3.exe, right click on it and select properties, then the compatibility tab. There you'll find the option to run in different compatibility modes... default is xp sp3, but you might find that sp2 may run better?

What exactly did you download?
did the compatibility switch and still nada.

I downloaded Microsoft's virtual machine and 500mb xp mode at Microsoft's website. could not find .exe to open setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #8
Froggy

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
I've said this a thousand times...

Try updating your DirectX Files first, before doing all the drastic stuff like removing this, disabling that.

Try the web installer first - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime. if you have issues getting it to update, then download the entire 104MB file here Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010)

Contrary to popular belief even though Windows 7 is DX11 capable, you STILL need to update the DX9 files. And Microsoft continues to update all the DX files so updates are still in order.

In short when ever there are W7 game issues, try updating the DX files first!

My two cents.
done and still cannot run Doom 3, but can run Tinker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #9
bigseb

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

I had a similar problem. It installed fine but wouldn't play. I had to download and install a patch to fix it. Don't have the link anymore so you'll have to google it. Something along the line of 'Doom 3 patch for windows 7'. Worked fine after that. Hope it helps...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #10
Whoo

Windows 7 32-bit
 
 

If the console pops up when you run it, copy the text contents onto a site like pastebin. By the way, have you updated Doom 3 yet? I remember having problems running Doom 3 before I installed the latest patch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 ARGH! Doom, Doom, Doom...




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New DOOM revealed
Looks like DOOM is going back to it's run n gun roots. Demons, guns and gore. Can't wait :D
Gaming
Doom 3 & COD 2
Hey any of you dudes play these two games on PC? I want to know if you can just flail away with whatever things you might have at the time to amass some kind of majestic weaponry system over time.
Gaming
Doom on a Tandy Sensation! PC
Awhile back I posted about this PC's CD Player problems. I got that all fixed, and I threw Doom onto the hard drive. Since I recently got a video camera, I decided to record the gameplay. I do not yet have a sound card that works with the Sound FX in the game, so the PC Speaker was used. Also,...
Chillout Room
Zune HD: First Doom, now...
Game Boy/Game Boy Color emulator!! Woohoo. VisualBoy Zune brings Game Boy emulation to Zune HD The deploy package comes with three legal roms for testing. I've deployed it to my Zune HD and it works fantastic. The controls are much better than Doom, and it runs very smooth, thanks to the...
Gaming
Doom on Zune HD
With the release of openZDK, third party games and apps are likely going to become more prevalent and more well written as time goes on. One of the first major third-party games to hit the ZuneHD after the release of openZDK is the classic FPS Doom. I've just installed this onto my ZuneHD and,...
Gaming
Doom 3 Frustrations
Ok so i installed doom 3 no problem everything went smooth, then when i click play, the disc spins and it sounds like it will load, but then its says doom 3 had stopped working and then in the problem details it has this Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: doom3.exe ...
Gaming

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App