Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stuttering after upgrading to Win 7 Pro

01 Mar 2010   #1
nflsonic

Windows 7 Professional
 
 
Stuttering after upgrading to Win 7 Pro

I've been looking all over the Internet to no avail of my situation I'm in now after upgrading Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Ever since I did the upgrade to Win 7, all of my games have been running flawlessly with no issues at all. After the upgrade, all graphic intensive games (not flash games like Plants vs. Zombies) seemingly run normal until after 20 or so seconds, which then the game stutters. It then repeats itself running normal and then back to the stuttering.

The sound is fine with no stuttering or choppiness, but the graphics and game menu interface have this stutter/lag effect for about 8-10 seconds. This occurs in both offline and online games (of which this stuttering affects others playing in the game as well, lagging the game for everyone I'm playing with).

As you may notice under my "System Specs" in my profile, this Asus gaming laptop can easily run these games (Red Alert 3, Left 4 Dead 2, Dawn of War 2, etc.). I've downloaded drivers for the graphics card, and others on the Asus website, but I still have this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Mar 2010   #2
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Clean install and reformat the HDD. Then fresh drivers from the Asus web site.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #3
DarkRhystar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nflsonic View Post
I've been looking all over the Internet to no avail of my situation I'm in now after upgrading Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Ever since I did the upgrade to Win 7, all of my games have been running flawlessly with no issues at all. After the upgrade, all graphic intensive games (not flash games like Plants vs. Zombies) seemingly run normal until after 20 or so seconds, which then the game stutters. It then repeats itself running normal and then back to the stuttering.
There's your problem. Take Frostmourne's advice and do a clean install instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Mar 2010   #4
FZ21Z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Clean Install Windows 7
There is a link to how to upgrade with an upgrade disk too at the link above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #5
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Yep, a few rule of thumbs when upgrading...

Never upgrade to diferent OS
Never upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit
Never upgrade from Home to Ultimate, etc, etc.

Follow the Clean Install link and you'll be golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #6
sygnus21

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Additionally you'll want to update your DX files

Web Installer - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime - Scans computer and installs necessary updated files.

Direct download - Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010) - Direct download of 110+MB file. You will need to extract and execute (click .exe file).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #7
SleeStak

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Additionally you'll want to update your DX files

Web Installer - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime - Scans computer and installs necessary updated files.

Direct download - Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010) - Direct download of 110+MB file. You will need to extract and execute (click .exe file).
good advice...clean install and update those runtimes for DirectX 9 games even though W7 installs DirectX 11

I can't count how many posts in this forum of the problems people are having with "older" games that may be remedied by simply updating their DirectX files...maybe a sticky is in order
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #8
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SleeStak View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Additionally you'll want to update your DX files

Web Installer - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime - Scans computer and installs necessary updated files.

Direct download - Download details: DirectX Redist (February 2010) - Direct download of 110+MB file. You will need to extract and execute (click .exe file).
good advice...clean install and update those runtimes for DirectX 9 games even though W7 installs DirectX 11

I can't count how many posts in this forum of the problems people are having with "older" games that may be remedied by simply updating their DirectX files...maybe a sticky is in order
Games should update the DirectX files along with the .NET framework. Always good to get the latest Redist though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #9
sygnus21

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Games should update the DirectX files along with the .NET framework.
That would be kind of hard for an older game to update an as yet to be released DX update wouldn't it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2010   #10
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Games should update the DirectX files along with the .NET framework.
That would be kind of hard for an older game to update an as yet to be released DX update wouldn't it
Yes, but you get some updates from the disc and then the rest when you get the Redist. I wonder how you can update the .NET framework, seeing as there are a couple of versions - 3.5 is included in 7 partially unless you fully enable it in Add/Remove features.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stuttering after upgrading to Win 7 Pro




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Stuttering on Games
Hi there I am starting to lose patience with my laptop. Since the beginning of August, my games have started to stutter in gameplay. It is driving me mad now. This never happened before the end of July. I got my laptop in May 2011, and it was fine through May, June and July. Is the problem the...
Gaming
New Win 7 32 - BD Stuttering
Hi all I've just rebuilt a PC (Not my system info) with an Intel H67 Chipset Motherboard from Foxconn and an NVIDIA GTX580 graphics card. I have a WD VELOCIRAPTOR 600GB 32MB hard drive and Power DVD 11 installed. When I play a BD disk I get both video and audio stuttering. I have...
Media Center
Audio Stuttering
I'm using the headset Steelseries HV2, just today the audio started stuttering, and it's getting really annoying. I've followed the sticky thread, toupdate my drivers.. no luck. Any help would be great appreciated, thanks!
Sound & Audio
Stuttering Sound
New user to windows 7! Everythign runs and works great minus the sound!!! It stutters and echoes very badly every so often. And being an avid player of Conan i use Vent. Vent does not even work. Any help provided is greatly appreciated!
Sound & Audio
MKV: Stuttering with AC3 via extender
Hi, I've been using the 360 as an extender to play mkv files mostly fine. However larger mkv files with ac3 audio stutter and don't play corrently at all. Files with DTS play fine however. I started off only using the DivX mkv tech preview, with ac3filter. I've tried various other...
Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App