Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WoW Installer hangs

16 Apr 2010   #1
Darkmoore

Windows 7 Premium Home Edition
 
 
WoW Installer hangs

Greetings all,

I have a problem that I have never encountered before, nor even heard of. My wife just received her brand new Dell, and like a good husband I wanted to get her games installed and up and running.

I place the World of Warcraft DVD into the drive, the autorun kicks in, the Installation window pops up with the pretty little fires burning in the braziers in the background. The instant the mouse cursor moves over the window, the program hangs. Mind you, I don't even make it to the Install Now button. Literally as soon as the cursor crosses the border of the Installer window, it hangs.

Wanting to figure out what the problem might be, I go and check the logs. They show Event 1002 Application Hang. "The program Installer.exe version 3.1.0.149 stopped intereacting with Windows and was closed."
Process ID: b14
Start Time: 01cadd7d1c708e38
Termination Time: 0

HELP!!! What on earth is going on? This is a just out of the box machine. Updated Windows, that's it. No web surfing, no other downloading, no nothing. I am at a complete loss.

Thanks in advance for your help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Apr 2010   #2
not so gray matter

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

You should check this thread over at WoW Forums, it'll likely have more info than this forum.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> BC Installation Errors compilation

Also, if you can, download this file and install WoW without CDs

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/in...downloader.exe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #3
Darkmoore

Windows 7 Premium Home Edition
 
 

I appreciate that notsograymatter. However, the error is not during the installation process. I don't get that far. The Windows Installer.exe is what is hanging when I simply move the cursor over the window.

I may end up using the digital d/l option, since our "broadband" connection just barely qualifies. (hoorah for rural living)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2010   #4
hybridfan

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkmoore View Post
I appreciate that notsograymatter. However, the error is not during the installation process. I don't get that far. The Windows Installer.exe is what is hanging when I simply move the cursor over the window.

I may end up using the digital d/l option, since our "broadband" connection just barely qualifies. (hoorah for rural living)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
Have you tried running the installer exe with XP combatability? if you decide to download it from the Web, may I suggest you make a backup copy of the World Of Warcraft folder, to a USB drive if you have one or split it up on DVD's.

C:/Users/Public/Games

It will save a lot of time if there is a error and you need to download it again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #5
simmo

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hybridfan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkmoore View Post
I appreciate that notsograymatter. However, the error is not during the installation process. I don't get that far. The Windows Installer.exe is what is hanging when I simply move the cursor over the window.

I may end up using the digital d/l option, since our "broadband" connection just barely qualifies. (hoorah for rural living)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
Have you tried running the installer exe with XP combatability? if you decide to download it from the Web, may I suggest you make a backup copy of the World Of Warcraft folder, to a USB drive if you have one or split it up on DVD's.

C:/Users/Public/Games

It will save a lot of time if there is a error and you need to download it again.
I installed WoW onto my machine without having to use windows compatability....
I would post ur problem on WoW tech forums or Customer support, with any luck a blue will respond and tell you what needs doing etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #6
Darkmoore

Windows 7 Premium Home Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by simmo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hybridfan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkmoore View Post
I appreciate that notsograymatter. However, the error is not during the installation process. I don't get that far. The Windows Installer.exe is what is hanging when I simply move the cursor over the window.

I may end up using the digital d/l option, since our "broadband" connection just barely qualifies. (hoorah for rural living)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
Have you tried running the installer exe with XP combatability? if you decide to download it from the Web, may I suggest you make a backup copy of the World Of Warcraft folder, to a USB drive if you have one or split it up on DVD's.

C:/Users/Public/Games

It will save a lot of time if there is a error and you need to download it again.
I installed WoW onto my machine without having to use windows compatability....
I would post ur problem on WoW tech forums or Customer support, with any luck a blue will respond and tell you what needs doing etc.
Tried running with XP compatability, both with Service Pack 2 and 3. Neither worked. I shall head to WoW's tech support site and post there. This is really odd behaviour that I have never encountered.

In the meantime, I took the easy (lazy?) way out and purchased a 32 GB USB drive, and will simply copy my own folder onto it and put it on her machine. She is getting restless, and we know what happens when our wives get "antsy".

Thanks for the support gang. I am glad to have discovered these forums, and you have found yourselves another dedicated reader.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WoW Installer hangs




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Installer Hangs, Tried Most Typical Solutions
This problem happened to me already once a few months ago, and I wish I wrote down how I fixed it now.. I need to install a newer Java, but anything using windows Installer will just hang up at 0% then usually I will have to shutdown processes to even get whatever to close. I have gone to...
Software
Deleting of Windows Installer Cache (C:\Windows\Installer\) Files
Windows Installer Cache, the c:\windows\installer folder by default, is used to store important files for applications installed using the MSI Windows Installer technology and should not be deleted manually. More...
News
VB.net installer
Can somebody link me where I could get an installer of VB.net?
Software
which installer should i use
hi folks my daughters laptop needs a clean install and the recovery discs that were done when it was first set up have all the bloatware and stuff on. can i just use a Professional X86 32bit iso i downloaded and activate it with her product key?? thanks in advance for any help:D
Windows Updates & Activation
Where's my 64-bit installer?
I am trying to load Logitech's Setpoint 6.15 (runs my Logitech cordless optical trackman) onto my computer (Windows 7 HP 64-bit), and every time I try, I get the following error message that reads something like: "You are running a 32-bit installer on a 64-bit operating system; please run the right...
General Discussion
FireFOX 3.5.5 hangs also IE8 hangs
i really didnt know where to put this software debugging or what.. So i put it here ima sorry guys if this is the wrong spot. On my AMD turion II m500 laptop my IE8 and Firefox both hang constantly Same ie8 build and firefox build as well as win7 build on my desktop and laptop. But my desktop is...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App