Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Playing Mainstream Games


05 Jul 2010   #1

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 
Playing Mainstream Games

So Im looking to just play regular games such as Left 4 Dead, Crysis, Call of Duty Modern Warefare, BioShock 2. Medium-High Settings. Please let me know how my setup would preform, like I said I'm not looking to play Crysis on Highest settings, ill settle for medium.

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Intel G31 Socket 775 MB
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 2.7Ghz 2M 800Mhz 775
2GB DDR2 PC2-5300
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2


Thank You Very Much

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

you should be fine playing those games but be aware that it will be with low to medium settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

COD4 runs fine on highest setting no AA at 1280x1024. And I only have a 8600GT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Jul 2010   #4

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
you should be fine playing those games but be aware that it will be with low to medium settings.
Thank You for your response, that is what i was looking for. Although I am pretty satisfied, what would you say a weak spot is?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #5

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 

Bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #6

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kidfork View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RST101 View Post
you should be fine playing those games but be aware that it will be with low to medium settings.
Thank You for your response, that is what i was looking for. Although I am pretty satisfied, what would you say a weak spot is?
At your resolution, your "weak spot" is the cpu and RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nbkp View Post
COD4 runs fine on highest setting no AA at 1280x1024. And I only have a 8600GT.
COD4 isn't really a spec intensive game and is also one of those rare games that actually feels quite smooth and playable @ sub 30FPS.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post

At your resolution, your "weak spot" is the cpu and RAM.
Yep.

It's not so much the speed of the RAM that's the issue, but the quantity.

With some titles (ie Crysis), you'll be hitting the pagefile pretty hard which will cause a fair bit of 'stuttering' and periodic slow downs as the physical memory is exhausted and swaps in and out of the virtual memory on the HDD.

Although the lower mhz will also have a negative impact as well.

And at 1024x768, the CPU will be doing the vast majority of the work, rather than the video card.


Your mileage will vary from title to title, but I echo the others in saying that it will be more low-medium settings than medium-high.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #8

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nbkp View Post
COD4 runs fine on highest setting no AA at 1280x1024. And I only have a 8600GT.
COD4 isn't really a spec intensive game and is also one of those rare games that actually feels quite smooth and playable @ sub 30FPS.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post

At your resolution, your "weak spot" is the cpu and RAM.
Yep.

It's not so much the speed of the RAM that's the issue, but the quantity.

With some titles (ie Crysis), you'll be hitting the pagefile pretty hard which will cause a fair bit of 'stuttering' and periodic slow downs as the physical memory is exhausted and swaps in and out of the virtual memory on the HDD.

Although the lower mhz will also have a negative impact as well.

And at 1024x768, the CPU will be doing the vast majority of the work, rather than the video card.


Your mileage will vary from title to title, but I echo the others in saying that it will be more low-medium settings than medium-high.
WOW! I'm a little bit surprised, I always thought RAM was the least important part of gaming. My monitor also supports 1920 x 1080. Will I be able to play at maybe medium settings and maintain a decent frame rate at that resolution?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #9

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kidfork View Post
WOW! I'm a little bit surprised, I always thought RAM was the least important part of gaming. My monitor also supports 1920 x 1080. Will I be able to play at maybe medium settings and maintain a decent frame rate at that resolution?
Well, that's partly true...with a caveat: you've got to have enough of it in the first place.

Will you be able to play at medium settings at 1920x1080 with decent fps? Probably not with many modern games. While your cpu is strong enough for most titles at 2.7GHz, this time it's the card that will be holding you back. The 9500 GT was a low-end to mid-range card even in its prime.

I have no doubt that you will able to run some games at 1920 on medium, like the very system friendly CoD4, but others, like Bad Company 2, which are core hungry and poorly optimized, no.

GeForce 9500 GT review
Keep in mind that although this shows fps of ~ 20, it's with 4xAA, which you won't be using (gpu isn't sufficiently strong), and max settings. Lowered to medium, with shadows set to low, and you may end up above the 30 mark... although you can't hold me to that.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 GPU Performance In-depth > 1920x1200 High/Medium/Low - TechSpot
With Bad Company and the like, you're limited to low settings until you upgrade the entire rig.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2010   #10

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kidfork View Post
WOW! I'm a little bit surprised, I always thought RAM was the least important part of gaming. My monitor also supports 1920 x 1080. Will I be able to play at maybe medium settings and maintain a decent frame rate at that resolution?
Well, that's partly true...with a caveat: you've got to have enough of it in the first place.

Will you be able to play at medium settings at 1920x1080 with decent fps? Probably not with many modern games. While your cpu is strong enough for most titles at 2.7GHz, this time it's the card that will be holding you back. The 9500 GT was a low-end to mid-range card even in its prime.

I have no doubt that you will able to run some games at 1920 on medium, like the very system friendly CoD4, but others, like Bad Company 2, which are core hungry and poorly optimized, no.

GeForce 9500 GT review
Keep in mind that although this shows fps of ~ 20, it's with 4xAA, which you won't be using (gpu isn't sufficiently strong), and max settings. Lowered to medium, with shadows set to low, and you may end up above the 30 mark... although you can't hold me to that.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 GPU Performance In-depth > 1920x1200 High/Medium/Low - TechSpot
With Bad Company and the like, you're limited to low settings until you upgrade the entire rig.
Yep you were right, I got all the parts in the mail. Popped in Crysis . I got decent frames in the beginning but then as i progressed I noticed quite a bit of "shuttering". I then minimized the window and found my ram was at 95%. Would you say 4GB would do the job?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Playing Mainstream Games




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33