Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why 32bit?

28 Mar 2009   #31
Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanJacques View Post
So do you think 2gig is enough to run 64-bit windows 7? I mean, will there be any disadvantages in doing so?
Not any disadvantage, but you wont see the full capabilities of running x64 with out the extra RAM and it may be slightly slower with only 2Gigs then it would be if you had X86


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Mar 2009   #32
AllanJacques

XP/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
Not any disadvantage, but you wont see the full capabilities of running x64 with out the extra RAM and it may be slightly slower with only 2Gigs then it would be if you had X86
So would you say that it is prefereable to use a 32-bit version with 2gig ram only? So, the borderline for 64-bit should be 4gig ram or I am losing something here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #33
Duderino

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanJacques View Post
So would you say that it is prefereable to use a 32-bit version with 2gig ram only? So, the borderline for 64-bit should be 4gig ram or I am losing something here?

Yep
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Mar 2009   #34
AllanJacques

XP/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yep
Hence 32-bit for me huh? Only 2gig ram, even though it is a core2duo and a hd2400... Well, do you think I will miss anything using 32 bit version?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #35
DiamondNRG

 

No, you will see BETTER performance using 32bit OS on a 2GB of ram system. So its not that you are missing out by sticking with x86, you are BENEFITING.

Trust me though, there will be no x86 crap for Windows 8, so by then all of this will be hog-wash. Of course the rumors are that Windows 9 won't be just x64 ... because x128 will poke its head out then *sigh*, here we go again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #36
AllanJacques

XP/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DiamondNRG View Post
No, you will see BETTER performance using 32bit OS on a 2GB of ram system. So its not that you are missing out by sticking with x86, you are BENEFITING.

Trust me though, there will be no x86 crap for Windows 8, so by then all of this will be hog-wash. Of course the rumors are that Windows 9 won't be just x64 ... because x128 will poke its head out then *sigh*, here we go again.
Well, I tend to agree with you, but in other topic I was advised to try 64-bit, but so far it seems a little too slow for me... Why is there so much contradictorial information on the subject?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #37
z3r010

 

And the gravedigger award for the resurrection of old threads goes to Fizan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #38
Jaqie

Windows 7 Beta (and others, multiboot)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanJacques View Post
Why is there so much contradictorial information on the subject?
Because it is a very misunderstood issue.
bit-tech.net | 64-bit: More than just the RAM

It depends on lots of things which is better right now, including but not limited to what kind of work you have said computer do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #39
AllanJacques

XP/7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jaqie View Post
Because it is a very misunderstood issue.
bit-tech.net | 64-bit: More than just the RAM

It depends on lots of things which is better right now, including but not limited to what kind of work you have said computer do.
I tendo to use it as a work tool, being a lawyer I think pretty much browsing net and using word does the trick. But I like rock solid systems and ocasional gaming is a plus too...
Still not a straight forward answer anyway... but hey, thanks!
Read the article and couldnt figure it out wich version should work better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2009   #40
Jaqie

Windows 7 Beta (and others, multiboot)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AllanJacques View Post
I like rock solid systems and ocasional gaming is a plus too...
Then you should not be running a beta os...
Quote:
Still not a straight forward answer anyway... but hey, thanks!
Read the article and couldnt figure it out wich version should work better.
Anything straightforward would be an extreme oversimplification to the point of being wrong - therein lies the issue and the reason there is so much misunderstanding about the issues with 32 vs 64.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why 32bit?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
W7 32bit ... can I use all of my 4GB RAM ?
Just upgraded to W7 32bit ... it's on a Dell 9200 with 4 GB RAM W7 shows 4GB installed 3GB usable ..... is that as good as I can get ? ........... seems hell of a waste to not use 25% of available RAM ? 32bit s/w should allow addressing up to 4GB .. Is there something I need to set ? or is...
Installation & Setup
Went from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 32bit.
With no real issues. Will I have any issues if I upgrade to Windows 7 64? My computer came with Vista 32bit
Installation & Setup
W7 64bit:Ok to install 32bit programs outside the 32bit programfolder?
OS: Win 7 64bit. Is it generally not a problem to choose to install a piece of 32bit software outside the win 7 default program folder for 32bit software? Or is 32bit software only supposed to be running flawlessly, if installed in that default 32bit folder? Thanks.
Software
32bit better then 64?
Hi i always used win7 (32bit) but had 4gig ram, so i deciced to upgrade it to 64bit. Both where installed fine with basic windows drivers. But with the 32bit version my Windows Performance Index was higher then 65bit. On the 32bit my processor and RAM got an 5+ and now with 64bit they get a...
Performance & Maintenance
VM Question: Run 32Bit app in 32Bit VM on a 64 bit
I am new to VM. My processor wont do XP Mode so I have to use VirtualBox. ( I choose it because it uses less resources than VMware) How on earth do I set up a copy of 32 bit windows xp on my win 7 64 bit PC? I need the XP 32 bit VM to run 32 bit versions of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 0r...
Virtualization
Still freezing up with 7077 32bit/7100 32bit
no matter what i try no matter what i do disable in bios or w/e it still freezes and i cant be the only one w/ this issue. can Any one help? my specs are in my profile yes their being done as clean installs ---edit--- by odd chance i found out why i was freezing. it was my Netgear WG311T...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App