Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: ntuser.dat

28 Jul 2010   #1
Riptorn

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 
ntuser.dat

Hi, I have been using windows 7 ultimate for about 3 weeks now, and today I noticed a file in my user name folder called ntuser.dat can someone please tell me what it means?,and can I delete it?, I only noticed it there today, it was not there before?.thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jul 2010   #2
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

No you cannot delete it. Leave it alone it is part of the Registry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #3
Riptorn

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
No you cannot delete it. Leave it alone it is part of the Registry.
Oh..ok thanks...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Jul 2010   #4
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

NTUSER.DAT is stored in your personal Documents and Settings folder and contains the entire contents of the HKEY_LOCAL_USER branch of the Registry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #5
Riptorn

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
NTUSER.DAT is stored in your personal Documents and Settings folder and contains the entire contents of the HKEY_LOCAL_USER branch of the Registry
Ok, but is it important?..can I delete it?..thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #6
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Riptorn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
NTUSER.DAT is stored in your personal Documents and Settings folder and contains the entire contents of the HKEY_LOCAL_USER branch of the Registry
Ok, but is it important?..can I delete it?..thanks
...Yes it is very important...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #7
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

It is a system file. Just let it be; it is supposed to be there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #8
Riptorn

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Riptorn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
NTUSER.DAT is stored in your personal Documents and Settings folder and contains the entire contents of the HKEY_LOCAL_USER branch of the Registry
Ok, but is it important?..can I delete it?..thanks
...Yes it is very important...
Ok, I will leave it alone then, thanks, but why did it appear all of a sudden?..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #9
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

The system finally created it or you changed your Explorer settings to view system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2010   #10
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Please leave it alone unless you want to reformat and do a clean intallation of Windows 7 ... ntuser.dat will still be there Guaranteed!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 ntuser.dat




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Deleting ntuser.dat from W7 32 bit?
Hi, Below is a screen shot of my ntuser.dat files. Can I delete BOTH #1 yellow highlighted & #2 cyan highlighted? If not, which ones can I safely delete as I have lots of them. cheers, klx
General Discussion
ntuser.dat
Trying to copy "user' folder to a back-up disk drive but informed: "Action can't be completed because this file in open in the system" ???
Backup and Restore
Why do I have 28 NTUSER.DAT FILES?
Hello I have in my user folder; 28 NTUSER.DAT files, one is constantly updating as I write and is 9Mb big? Can you help me please. Thank you for your time and effort.
General Discussion
ntuser.dat deleted
is there any way of getting back this ntuser.dat that has been deleted?Im using the account's ntuser.dat for it at the moment but the setting wasnt right. Lot of errors occur.
General Discussion
Why do i have two NTUSER.DAT
How do i remove the NTUSER.DAT file from my documents folder, i have tried hiding the file in folder options but no luck. NTUSER.DAt file exists in c:user\username but i dont understand why i have a copy of it in my documents.. any ideas?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App