Since we got Windows 7 back in Feb 2010 this PC was already language pack'ed ready. Displays Japanese characters, Korean, Chinese - you name it. I find this essential 'cause I have lots of songs in my music iTunes library that have those characters listed.
And after some windows update (or not sure what my mom did), it stopped showing those Asian characters and are replaced with those squares. What's even more weird is that when browsing any Eastern Asian sites (Korean, Japanese, etc) they display those characters fine and properly (I use Chrome). But the head of the browser which would list the title of the page you're at would display squares. So that's the same case with all my music collection right now - ones with Eastern Asian characters are now squared.
I don't get it the fact it used to
show these characters bothers me and now it doesn't. I've tried downloading language packs again and no luck. And the "check for updates" procedure is doing no good for me (it's not showing up in "optional updates").