Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: i dont get it....

04 Aug 2010   #1
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
i dont get it....

why is 64 bit named x64 but 32 bit is named x86?!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Aug 2010   #2
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Oh, mostly for historic reasons, going back to the 8086 Intel processor. Since then and until I think Pentium Intel names for their processors always ended in 86. So then once the numbering system was retired, people kept the x86 notation for this particular type of processor architecture. 64-bit processors are different and for them x64 seems only logical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #3
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

oh...so thats why i piucked x86 and it says that im not on the right os LOL....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Aug 2010   #4
Kirsch

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

# x86
Originally this code referred to Intel's x86 series of CPUs (eg. 286, 386, 486) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles 32-bit integer operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# x86-64
This is AMD's 64-bit update to x86 - this instruction set architecture contains additional features beyond just having 64-bit general registers.

# x87
Originally this code referred to Intel's x87 series of co-processors (eg. 8087) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles floating point operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# XRGB
A surface format that has the same file size as an ARGB surface but contains no alpha components in the pixels.

taken from futuremarks website.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #5
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by freaky88 View Post
oh...so thats why i piucked x86 and it says that im not on the right os LOL....



My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #6
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
# x86
Originally this code referred to Intel's x86 series of CPUs (eg. 286, 386, 486) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles 32-bit integer operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# x86-64
This is AMD's 64-bit update to x86 - this instruction set architecture contains additional features beyond just having 64-bit general registers.

# x87
Originally this code referred to Intel's x87 series of co-processors (eg. 8087) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles floating point operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# XRGB
A surface format that has the same file size as an ARGB surface but contains no alpha components in the pixels.

taken from futuremarks website.
Gosh, now I didn't know that. Come to think of it I don't think I know it now! In fact I don't know what it is I don't know as I don't know it!
Oh I'm going for a walk with my dog, I can understand that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #7
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
# x86
Originally this code referred to Intel's x86 series of CPUs (eg. 286, 386, 486) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles 32-bit integer operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# x86-64
This is AMD's 64-bit update to x86 - this instruction set architecture contains additional features beyond just having 64-bit general registers.

# x87
Originally this code referred to Intel's x87 series of co-processors (eg. 8087) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles floating point operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# XRGB
A surface format that has the same file size as an ARGB surface but contains no alpha components in the pixels.

taken from futuremarks website.
Gosh, now I didn't know that. Come to think of it I don't think I know it now! In fact I don't know what it is I don't know as I don't know it!
Oh I'm going for a walk with my dog, I can understand that!
Baby's back
Dressed in black
Silver buttons all down her back
High low, tippy toe
She broke the needle and she can sew

Walking the dog
just a walking the dog
If you don't know how to do it
I show you how to walk the dog
C'mon now c'mon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #8
freaky88

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
# x86
Originally this code referred to Intel's x86 series of CPUs (eg. 286, 386, 486) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles 32-bit integer operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# x86-64
This is AMD's 64-bit update to x86 - this instruction set architecture contains additional features beyond just having 64-bit general registers.

# x87
Originally this code referred to Intel's x87 series of co-processors (eg. 8087) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles floating point operations in a modern desktop CPU.

# XRGB
A surface format that has the same file size as an ARGB surface but contains no alpha components in the pixels.

taken from futuremarks website.
Gosh, now I didn't know that. Come to think of it I don't think I know it now! In fact I don't know what it is I don't know as I don't know it!
Oh I'm going for a walk with my dog, I can understand that!
Baby's back
Dressed in black
Silver buttons all down her back
High low, tippy toe
She broke the needle and she can sew

Walking the dog
just a walking the dog
If you don't know how to do it
I show you how to walk the dog
C'mon now c'mon
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/3364/...jpg?1244692850
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #9
Little Darwin

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsch View Post
# x86
Originally this code referred to Intel's x86 series of CPUs (eg. 286, 386, 486) but now refers to the underlying architecture and instruction set that handles 32-bit integer operations in a modern desktop CPU.
Just to add another level of precision...

The CPUs commonly referred to as 286, 386 and 486 (along with their variants) were actually 80286, 80386 and 80486 respectively.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 i dont get it....




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dos and Dont's?
Hi, What precautions should one take before creating a full back up image and/or after restoring an earlier fully backed image, using Macrcium Boot CD? Thanks.
Backup and Restore
Help i dont what to do
my wife computer keeps giving me a blue screen every time i try to update windows the computer is a Packard bell easy note tm01 with oem windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
BSOD Help and Support
Now you see em; now you dont
I havent quite figured out the pattern, or the trick yet, but why is it that when I for example go to Computer, sometimes I see my other conencted PC's ( all XP), but sometimes I dont ! Network discovery is ON. All PC's are on the same workgroup All PC's can be accessed by typing the...
Network & Sharing
I dont know what this is can anyone help me?
Heres a picture of it im not sure what it is it just appeared one day http://i52.tinypic.com/au8cxd.png Thanks in advance
Hardware & Devices
Please help. I dont know what im doing.
hi everyone. I really need help with this because i have an exam coming up and i need to get my computer back to normal. Im a complete newb at all computer terminology and my attempts to fix it myself have failed because of that. My problem is that whenever i boot up my netbook, it goes to the bsod...
BSOD Help and Support
i dont
how can i find a solution on the problem about the msdt.exe? and also the werfault.exe? i can't open all my applications because of this two executions..pls help us:(
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App