Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Any way to reassign an existing program to a new user account?

06 Aug 2010   #1
dave1812

Win7
 
 
Any way to reassign an existing program to a new user account?

I've got a large program that I've installed on my wife's laptop, that I'd like to be available only when I log onto her computer. She currently is the only USER. I installed the program (it takes many discs to install, plus it has been customized post-installation) when logged in as her, and now I'd like to have my own account, and transfer that program to my account. I've yet to find any info online as to whether or not that is possible. If it is, please advise. Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Aug 2010   #2
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
I've got a large program that I've installed on my wife's laptop, that I'd like to be available only when I log onto her computer. She currently is the only USER. I installed the program (it takes many discs to install, plus it has been customized post-installation) when logged in as her, and now I'd like to have my own account, and transfer that program to my account. I've yet to find any info online as to whether or not that is possible. If it is, please advise. Thanks!
Generally speaking, if a program is installed in one account, then in most cases it will be available in all others, including accounts created after the installation.

The one aspect of this is whether or not the installation places shortcuts into the relevant "All Users" location of the start menu. If it does not, you way have to manually create the shortcuts yourself, or copy them from your wife's account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #3
dave1812

Win7
 
 

i created an account for myself and logged into Windows. I went to explorer and cut and pasted shortcuts from my wife's desktop to mine. that's the easy part. However, when I run FS9. the add-on applications are only partially working (plus the first time I started FS9, it acted like a new installation, asking if I agree, yada, yada, yada, and put me into a Tutorial). A particular add-on, called Flight Deck III, was a pain to install into FS9 on Win7 and I had to call for tech support to get it to fully function. (it works fine under my wife's account) Now I'm back in the same boat with that add-on not functioning, despite the scenery files being installed in their proper locations. Somewhere, there's a file or folder of preferences for my NEW ACCOUNT, that's not set up correctly. I'd like to wholesale copy over whatever needs to come from the FS9 related files, that were initially set up under my wife's account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2010   #4
letsdoamazing

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
I've got a large program that I've installed on my wife's laptop, that I'd like to be available only when I log onto her computer. She currently is the only USER. I installed the program (it takes many discs to install, plus it has been customized post-installation) when logged in as her, and now I'd like to have my own account, and transfer that program to my account. I've yet to find any info online as to whether or not that is possible. If it is, please advise. Thanks!
Generally speaking, if a program is installed in one account, then in most cases it will be available in all others, including accounts created after the installation.

The one aspect of this is whether or not the installation places shortcuts into the relevant "All Users" location of the start menu. If it does not, you way have to manually create the shortcuts yourself, or copy them from your wife's account.
Isn't this a take ownership of the program kind of thing? Cant you go in to the properties and set the permissions to use the program? I assume it is installed for accounts, but sometimes on the installing process you can select for "all users" or just that one account. I have dealt with this once, but nothing in depth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #5
dave1812

Win7
 
 

aha! I'm "good to go". I found an FS9 folder under my wife's account, in appdata>roaming>microsoft>

I copied that entire folder over to my account and all is well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #6
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by letsdoamazing View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
I've got a large program that I've installed on my wife's laptop, that I'd like to be available only when I log onto her computer. She currently is the only USER. I installed the program (it takes many discs to install, plus it has been customized post-installation) when logged in as her, and now I'd like to have my own account, and transfer that program to my account. I've yet to find any info online as to whether or not that is possible. If it is, please advise. Thanks!
Generally speaking, if a program is installed in one account, then in most cases it will be available in all others, including accounts created after the installation.

The one aspect of this is whether or not the installation places shortcuts into the relevant "All Users" location of the start menu. If it does not, you way have to manually create the shortcuts yourself, or copy them from your wife's account.
Isn't this a take ownership of the program kind of thing? Cant you go in to the properties and set the permissions to use the program? I assume it is installed for accounts, but sometimes on the installing process you can select for "all users" or just that one account. I have dealt with this once, but nothing in depth.
I think some stuff I installed under her account was set to "all users", but other stuff wasn't, and besides, I did all the installations of apps before I created my account, and I've no idea how that feature is supposed to work. the whole thing is pretty murky to me, as I don't normally set up any of our PC's to work with multiple users.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #7
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
aha! I'm "good to go". I found an FS9 folder under my wife's account, in appdata>roaming>microsoft>

I copied that entire folder over to my account and all is well.
At least you don't have to re-install the sucker!

Glad we could help. Somewhat...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #8
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
aha! I'm "good to go". I found an FS9 folder under my wife's account, in appdata>roaming>microsoft>

I copied that entire folder over to my account and all is well.
At least you don't have to re-install the sucker!

Glad we could help. Somewhat...

yup! thanks for "being there"! all's well that ends well, without me fully understanding the whole "transfer of app & app data" from one account to another. the main thing is that I got that beast of an installation of FS9 to function on my new account, complete with the add-ons. I dread installing FS9 because of the lengthy process and piecemeal method of adding in all the "goodies".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Any way to reassign an existing program to a new user account?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Old default location 'C:\Users\(existing user account)recreated again
Hi, I don't know if I came to the right forum section or not. I have I moved all existing user account profile folder from the default location(C:\Users) into (D\:Users) in both the Windows explorer and in the registry. by following the Brink's explanation As this screen shots below...
Installation & Setup
Program not in User account when installed from within Administrator.
When you install a program from within Administrator account should it automatically be available from within the User account as well? I installed a program from within the Administrator account but when I go the the User account it is no where to be found. Is this program specific?
Software
Program Won't Start in One User Account But Will In The Other
Hello, I'm having a problem and I'm not sure what to do. I installed a program to my main user account which is an administrator account. When I click on the program to open, the mouse pointer changes like the program is going to load and then it stops. I logged into my second user account which is...
Software
Standard User Account Program Access
Hello All, I have set up a standard user account on my Son's laptop, but there are software programs I would like him to have access to, without me having to log on with Administrator ever time. When he try's to run said program it says Parental Controls has blocked this program the...
Performance & Maintenance
How do I map existing User Folders to new User Account?
How do I map existing User Folders to a newly created User Account? I had existing User Folders on drive D. I added a new drive C and installed the OS on C but changed default location of User Folders to D. Now my existing User Folders are in the Users folder on D but there is no User Account...
General Discussion
Creating a New User Account Similar to an Existing User Account
I have a Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 Prof. I am using the user account made during the initial bootup of the new computer, to make the desired settings and adding software installations. However after I finish with the initial tweaking, I will reduce the account privileges from Administrator to...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App