Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Opening .pps attachment

13 Aug 2010   #1
jameson

Windows 7
 
 
Opening .pps attachment

On Windows XP a .pps attachment will open directly from the Outlook 2007 email because i have Powerpoint installed. On Windows 7 the .pps will not open directly from the attachment (with Powerpoint installed) received in the Hotmail account, so i have to open Powerpoint and then go to the attachment and it will open. Attachments show a message and how i`ve set it to open in Windows Media Player. Is there something else that should be set especially for Windows 7 to open .pps directly as it does on Windows XP. ?




Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Aug 2010   #2
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

why would you set a power point file to open with Windows Media Player? Thats like trying to open a movie clip with MS Word.

What you want to do is set to open with Power Point. If it doesn't give you the option to set it to Power Point or browse for a program, you need to save the file, then open it normally. If it won't open that way, you need to right click the file, click properties, and then change the default file association. Once again, it needs to be set to Power Point. Windows Media Player is only for movies, music, and pictures.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #3
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums jameson. This small registry change should do it:

For .PPS files

Start> Type regedit and press ENTER

Navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.11 \ shell \ Show

Right-click Show and click Rename

Type the word Open so that Show is replaced by Open

You may have to repeat the above steps in this key, as well:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.12 \ shell \ Show

After changing Show to Open, close Registry Editor window.

See if that works for you. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Aug 2010   #4
jameson

Windows 7
 
 
opening .pps attachment

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
why would you set a power point file to open with Windows Media Player? Thats like trying to open a movie clip with MS Word.

What you want to do is set to open with Power Point. If it doesn't give you the option to set it to Power Point or browse for a program, you need to save the file, then open it normally. If it won't open that way, you need to right click the file, click properties, and then change the default file association. Once again, it needs to be set to Power Point. Windows Media Player is only for movies, music, and pictures.
Well to answer your question "why would you set a power point file to open with Windows Media Player?"-answer-clearly because i didn`t know, that`s why i asked the question.! To get to the real thing, I saved the file and right click>properties but there is no provision in there to set it to power point in Windows 7, but there is in Windows XP.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #5
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Right click the file, click properties. You will see Opens with: XXXXX. Next to that you will see a button that says "Change". Click it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #6
jameson

Windows 7
 
 
opening .pps attachment

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Welcome to Seven Forums jameson. This small registry change should do it:

For .PPS files

Start> Type regedit and press ENTER

Navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.11 \ shell \ Show

Right-click Show and click Rename

Type the word Open so that Show is replaced by Open

You may have to repeat the above steps in this key, as well:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.12 \ shell \ Show

After changing Show to Open, close Registry Editor window.

See if that works for you. A Guy
Thank You. I went into "K_KEYclasses_ROOT and found.pps which takes me to PowerPointViewer.Slideshow.8, not 11, and then shellnew, not shell, but don`t know from there. Am i on the right track?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #7
jameson

Windows 7
 
 
opening .pps attachment

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Right click the file, click properties. You will see Opens with: XXXXX. Next to that you will see a button that says "Change". Click it.
Yes that`s right, but as i said in my post 4, there`s no provision in there to change it to powerpoint.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #8
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Right click the file, click properties. You will see Opens with: XXXXX. Next to that you will see a button that says "Change". Click it.
Yes that`s right, but as i said in my post 4, there`s no provision in there to change it to powerpoint.
Click browse. On my computer it takes me directly to program files, but if you on a 64-bit computer you will likely need to go the C:, then Program Files (x86). Then go to Microsoft Ofiice, then Offixe1X (X being any number). Scroll down and double click Power Point (may read "POWERPNT").
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #9
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Welcome to Seven Forums jameson. This small registry change should do it:

For .PPS files

Start> Type regedit and press ENTER

Navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.11 \ shell \ Show

Right-click Show and click Rename

Type the word Open so that Show is replaced by Open

You may have to repeat the above steps in this key, as well:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.12 \ shell \ Show

After changing Show to Open, close Registry Editor window.

See if that works for you. A Guy
Thank You. I went into "K_KEYclasses_ROOT and found.pps which takes me to PowerPointViewer.Slideshow.8, not 11, and then shellnew, not shell, but don`t know from there. Am i on the right track?
Scroll much farther down to the key I mentioned, PowerPointViewer, not the file type near the top. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #10
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Thank You. I went into "K_KEYclasses_ROOT and found.pps which takes me to PowerPointViewer.Slideshow.8, not 11, and then shellnew, not shell, but don`t know from there. Am i on the right track?
Scroll much farther down to the key I mentioned, PowerPointViewer, not the file type near the top. A Guy
A Guy, if this person doesn't even know how to associate a file with the proper program than he doesn't need to be messing around in the registry. Even I get nervous doing it, and I know my way around it pretty well. It is very easy for someone who has no clue what they are doing to really screw something up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Opening .pps attachment




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
UPATRE Ups the Ante With Attachment Inside An Attachment
Source A Guy
Security News
Too Big Attachment
Hello again, it's been a while. I have a problem with sending some e-mails. I am trying to send a video clip which is 1 minute long or 47,600 KBs. I keep getting a message saying it is too big and couldn't be sent. My question is, how do I increase the size I can send. I am sure I receive much...
Browsers & Mail
attachment size
Hi Folks. I am getting a warning window in Outlook 2010 telling me that my attachment exceeds the maximum. Although this message doesn't always appear, several emails with 12mb attachments have not been delivered but no indication was given that they were not sent they simply didn't arrive. My...
Browsers & Mail
Display WLM Attachment Size
Hi Everyone? Can someone help me on how to display attachment size in Windows Live Mail. Is there a way to activate this "size preview" in WLM? Thanks in advance.
Browsers & Mail
Odd attachment display in SF
I'm using IE8, just did a clean reinstall and have finally got all Windows updates. When I click an attached pic in a thread it doesn't open in the post. It does open at the top of the current page. Thhis has only started since the new install. Any way I can get back to normal? Also the...
Browsers & Mail
WLM - attachment security
Windows Live Mail 2011: I'm not sure if WLM is the culprit here, but what else? After saving attachments from an email message, when I double-click the file to launch, I get the following warning: If I simply double-click the attachment in the email itself, it launches without the...
Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App