Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Issues with Windows Live Skydrive???

21 Aug 2010   #1
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 
Issues with Windows Live Skydrive???

Hi, whenever I download my saved files that I uploaded from Windows Live Skydrive, it always downloads them in a modified format. If I download a .docx file, I get a .docx_ file. If I download a .zip file, I get a .zip_ file.

I know how to fix this. I have to rename the file and remove the _ (underscore) from the file format. It should work after that but this is a bit inconvenient especially for inexperienced users as the weird new format would have no matching application that can open them unless you rename the file and remove the _ (undercore).

And it also results to this invalid file formats that you have to remove with CCleaner.

Did someone notice this before???? Or are they now working to resolve this???




Attached Thumbnails
-steps.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2010   #2
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've just checked this with my own SkyDrive, and files download normally, whether I download a single file, or use the "Download as ZIP" option. Filename and extensions remain the same when the download is complete.

Question: Does this happen only when you download from SkyDrive, or from other sites also?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #3
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
I've just checked this with my own SkyDrive, and files download normally, whether I download a single file, or use the "Download as ZIP" option. Filename and extensions remain the same when the download is complete.

Question: Does this happen only when you download from SkyDrive, or from other sites also?
This happens ONLY when I download from Skydrive and my mate who uses Skydrive from another computer experience this as well. I am using Firefox 3.6.8 by the way.

Whenever I download files from other sites, they are set to save them in a correct format.

However, I tried downloading my files from Skydrive Internet Explorer 8, just a few minutes ago and the files were saved in the correct format without the _ (underscore) right next to the file format so I don't get invalid file extensions.

So it must be a bug between Firefox and Windows Live Skydrive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Aug 2010   #4
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
I've just checked this with my own SkyDrive, and files download normally, whether I download a single file, or use the "Download as ZIP" option. Filename and extensions remain the same when the download is complete.

Question: Does this happen only when you download from SkyDrive, or from other sites also?
This happens ONLY when I download from Skydrive and my mate who uses Skydrive from another computer experience this as well. I am using Firefox 3.6.8 by the way.

Whenever I download files from other sites, they are set to save them in a correct format.

However, I tried downloading my files from Skydrive Internet Explorer 8, just a few minutes ago and the files were saved in the correct format without the _ (underscore) right next to the file format so I don't get invalid file extensions.

So it must be a bug between Firefox and Windows Live Skydrive.
I'm not so much a fan of firefox, but have it installed anyway for testing. Just had another go at it, and a download worked fine, without adding the underscore characters to the filename.

Try running firefox withuot any addons, and check again? Maybe an addon is responsible, no?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #5
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

This is a firefox bug, seems to have been uncorrected till date.

Firefox 3.5.2 inserts leading and trailing underscores to Skydrive filenames
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #6
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

Why the hell did they not fix this lol??? Is this a tactic Microsoft has been doing to make people switch from Firefox to IE or a tactic by Mozilla's team to make Windows Live look bad???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #7
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
This is a firefox bug, seems to have been uncorrected till date.

Firefox 3.5.2 inserts leading and trailing underscores to Skydrive filenames
A newish bug, or at least one that has not been in Firefox since 3.0.11.

Very possibly designed to make MS look bad, otherwise the bug would not have been so specific ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #8
Vertex

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9 Gnome 32 Bit
 
 

They better fix this soon lol. Whoever is doing this, fixing this bug will benefit both sides.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Issues with Windows Live Skydrive???




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Update from SkyDrive to OneDrive now live for Windows Phone 8
More...
News
Skydrive publishing from Windows Live Gallery
Now, I understand that once you install the Skydrive PC program, you get a folder on the desktop. Whatever is in that desktop folder, however the contents are organized--that's what gets synched up to the SkyDrive Interwebs. Which means that my entire photo collection, all 13GB of it, needs to...
Software
Skydrive / Windows Live Mesh queries
*Will you be able to upload folders to Skydrive? I want to create a PHOTOS folder in Skydrive, then upload my 160 individual photo folders to it. Possible? *What is Windows Live Mesh? *I'd like to make it so any photos or docs I add to my hard drive, automastically go to Skydrive. Is...
Software
Windows Live SkyDrive - Map Drive
How to Map Windows Live SkyDrive in Windows Explorer This tutorial is a quick tutorial on showing you how to map you Windows Live SkyDrive in Windows Explorer. For this to work you will need a Windows Live ID - See: ...
Tutorials
Downgrade windows live or remove skydrive
I have recently upgraded windows live mail to the 2011 version. Sending a simple photo email is a mission now. I dont want skydrive and all that added rubbish. How do I downgrade?
Browsers & Mail
New Features Hit Windows Live SkyDrive Today
More...
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App