Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Logon problems.

25 Aug 2010   #1
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 
Logon problems.

Hi again everyone, I'm back with another problem

This one has baffled me. Just before I go through the problem, I want to say I don't have an external drive for backups/system images, nor can I afford one, the only backup I have on the laptop HD is way back, just after a clean install, which is useless.

Now, this has only started when I was on holiday, a few days back. After a shut down for the night, I booted up the laptop. As normal, I typed in my password (I know I have typed it up right, which will become clear later) and pressed enter. Also, as normal, the screen flashed, has the 'Welcome' word loading, flashed again then came straight back to the logon screen, without any password entered. So the first thing I thought of, was to boot up in safe mode, remove the password from my account, then restarting. I noticed, the problem did not reoccur in any of the Safe Mode options. When restarting though, the same problem occurs. I booted in Safe mode yet again to try the SFC command. It had found errors, said they were repaired, so I restarted. The problem is still there. Next command, chkdsk. Still not working. before the problem, I had not changed any settings in Windows, programs or the registry at all. Right now I am in Safe mode with networking.

Now am back home with an internet connection (Can't live without one ), I am hoping I can get help from you guys.

Thanks,

Dom.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Hi Dom

I really hope that I can help after all the help that you have given. Sounds like a system restore from a week before the problem would do the trick.

If that does not work, try a clean boot, to find the source of the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If one of the suggestions work just to be on the safe side download malwebytes and run a scan and the seme for the anti virus.

Truly wishing you luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #3
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Hi Dom

I really hope that I can help after all the help that you have given. Sounds like a system restore from a week before the problem would do the trick.

If that does not work, try a clean boot, to find the source of the problem
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If one of the suggestions work just to be on the safe side download malwebytes and run a scan and the seme for the anti virus.

Truly wishing you luck
Hi Rich,
Thank you for the compliment And also for the help. The clean boot does nothing to help I'm afraid. As stated in the OP, I only have a system restore point after a clean install (I would lose all the latest graphic work, and programs). I am currently downloading malwarebytes. I will also run a scan with MSE. Again, thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Aug 2010   #4

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Hi Dom

I really hope that I can help after all the help that you have given. Sounds like a system restore from a week before the problem would do the trick.

If that does not work, try a clean boot, to find the source of the problem
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If one of the suggestions work just to be on the safe side download malwebytes and run a scan and the seme for the anti virus.

Truly wishing you luck
Hi Rich,
Thank you for the compliment And also for the help. The clean boot does nothing to help I'm afraid. As stated in the OP, I only have a system restore point after a clean install (I would lose all the latest graphic work, and programs). I am currently downloading malwarebytes. I will also run a scan with MSE. Again, thanks for the help.
I don't think you would lose your graphic work, but would lose your programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #5
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hello Dom,

That is true. I have seen similar problem actually. It happen when i tried to patch the dlls to Enable the custom themes also tried to install the software to avoid patching at the same time. Finally i went to Safe Mode and uninstalled the software. If you not sure what changes you made it's best to do a System restore.

Good Luck,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #6
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Hi Dom

I really hope that I can help after all the help that you have given. Sounds like a system restore from a week before the problem would do the trick.

If that does not work, try a clean boot, to find the source of the problem
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If one of the suggestions work just to be on the safe side download malwebytes and run a scan and the seme for the anti virus.

Truly wishing you luck
Hi Rich,
Thank you for the compliment And also for the help. The clean boot does nothing to help I'm afraid. As stated in the OP, I only have a system restore point after a clean install (I would lose all the latest graphic work, and programs). I am currently downloading malwarebytes. I will also run a scan with MSE. Again, thanks for the help.
I don't think you would lose your graphic work, but would lose your programs.
I'd lose the programs to open the graphics work
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
Hello Dom,

That is true. I have seen similar problem actually. It happen when i tried to patch the dlls to Enable the custom themes also tried to install the software to avoid patching at the same time. Finally i went to Safe Mode and uninstalled the software. If you not sure what changes you made it's best to do a System restore.

Good Luck,
Captain
Thanks for the help. Malwarebytes has just finished scanning, it has found 2 infections. Now waiting for MSE. I will update on the problem.

PS: Come to think of it, I recently bought and installed Windows Style Builder, and not every time, when I tried to test a theme, the Custom theme enabler would crash (comes up in a UAC prompt, then WSB gives an error).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #7
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Okay guys, very good news and bad news.

I'll start off with the bad news
Both MSE and MB found infections, removed them, then I restarted to complete the process. Still same problem.

Good news: In startup repair options, I've found I have an auto-made restore point just before I installed Windows Style Builder I didn't know it was there, but it is I'm going to move my theme files/pictures to a separate partition, and go ahead with the restore. I'll let you guys know how it goes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Hope it works
So many times I suggest malwarebytes and infections are found. Dom, after this problem, scan once a week with malwarebytes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #9
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dom View Post

PS: Come to think of it, I recently bought and installed Windows Style Builder, and not every time, when I tried to test a theme, the Custom theme enabler would crash (comes up in a UAC prompt, then WSB gives an error).
That make sense. Try to uninstall the Custom theme enabler from Safe Mode and reboot in Normal Mode and see if that works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I'm glad to hear you got rid of the nasties.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Logon problems.





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Logon problems.
Thread Forum
Logon Wallpaper - automatically change w/ every logon Customization
Solved Logon screen, change/remove logon picture Customization
How to change Logon screen Picture frame (before logon) Customization
Logon problems BSOD Help and Support
Logon screen problems General Discussion
Let Laptop Battery Die, Having Logon Problems BSOD Help and Support
LOGON sound doesn't play when there is auto-logon! Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33