Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No new boot screen in Aspire One with 6956.

22 Jan 2009   #31
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
lmfao - Umm, we know *what* it is we want to know how to *achieve* it as the poster suggested he managed to achieve.
ohh i see...
i made a fool of myself...lol


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jan 2009   #32
TheOnlyValidReason

win7(7k), VistaULT(SP2BETA), BACKTRACK3(slax,linux)
 
 

ok,

ewfmgr = Enhanced Write Filter Manager (taken from xp embedded installer)

first things fiirst, ewf usage is only meant for people with slow ssd and car pcs.
basically the implementation is used to protect the wear of ssd and thus making it last longer.
by ewf ing a hard drive/ssd, writes wont be written to the disk, instead written to a layer (in this case, the ram) thus data access will be lightning fast as roms are faster than ssd's. (the sustained write and read speed)

if you have a system that runs on hard disks, ewf is not recomended. you guys are already running in full speed.

the good side of ewf ing a system is,
1. if you got infected by virus, just reboot and your system will be back as normal - somewhat like deepfreez.
2. boot time is around 37 seconds (with codecs, firefox, ms office 2007 bla bla bla installed)
3. shutdown is sub 10 seconds (in some cases almost instant off)

the bad thing is, you have to run some commands if you want to save changes to your system (installing stuff) so when you commit your changes, the shutdown will be around 3 minutes. but as soon as you restart, the ewf will kick back in and you're be cruisin' as usual.

http://granturing.blogspot.com/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2009   #33
johngalt

 

nah - just jumped the gun a bit.

When you answer many posts in a single day they start to run together - and answers come faster than your cognitive processes can process sometimes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jan 2009   #34
TheOnlyValidReason

win7(7k), VistaULT(SP2BETA), BACKTRACK3(slax,linux)
 
 

i dont think i have the skills to write a tutorial here besides the original work is not mine, but you can use the one from aspireoneuser.com. i was really meant to embed xp pro sp2, but i managed to do it on vista couple months back and 3 days ago, on windows 7.. thats about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2009   #35
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
nah - just jumped the gun a bit.

When you answer many posts in a single day they start to run together - and answers come faster than your cognitive processes can process sometimes.
yeah i thought you guys must have know about this and that vista had a version too....lol

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnlyValidReason View Post
ok,

ewfmgr = Enhanced Write Filter Manager (taken from xp embedded installer)

first things fiirst, ewf usage is only meant for people with slow ssd and car pcs.
basically the implementation is used to protect the wear of ssd and thus making it last longer.
by ewf ing a hard drive/ssd, writes wont be written to the disk, instead written to a layer (in this case, the ram) thus data access will be lightning fast as roms are faster than ssd's. (the sustained write and read speed)

if you have a system that runs on hard disks, ewf is not recomended. you guys are already running in full speed.

the good side of ewf ing a system is,
1. if you got infected by virus, just reboot and your system will be back as normal - somewhat like deepfreez.
2. boot time is around 37 seconds (with codecs, firefox, ms office 2007 bla bla bla installed)
3. shutdown is sub 10 seconds (in some cases almost instant off)

the bad thing is, you have to run some commands if you want to save changes to your system (installing stuff) so when you commit your changes, the shutdown will be around 3 minutes. but as soon as you restart, the ewf will kick back in and you're be cruisin' as usual.

http://granturing.blogspot.com/
i see what you are getting at basically we are talking about something like steadystate huh???
Download details: SteadyState
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2009   #36
TheOnlyValidReason

win7(7k), VistaULT(SP2BETA), BACKTRACK3(slax,linux)
 
 

yup but steady state just protects the volume while the disk trashing made popular in vista still runs. this will in fact slow the system down as read and writes happens almost every second of usage.

with ewf, writes are no longer happening to the drives, only read - adding speed

besides, ewf is a windows component and not some 3rd party disk protection scheme that usually eats more system resource

*steadystate makes you boot slower too, as it reapplies your previous good setting - lets just say a worm is planted in your pf, it will stay there and still run as it creats masked threads instead of running as executables
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2009   #37
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnlyValidReason View Post
yup but steady state just protects the volume while the disk trashing made popular in vista still runs. this will in fact slow the system down as read and writes happens almost every second of usage.

with ewf, writes are no longer happening to the drives, only read - adding speed

besides, ewf is a windows component and not some 3rd party disk protection scheme that usually eats more system resource
aaah i see where you are getting at but wait how big is the cache though?? i am guessing it is dependant of the ram installed huh??
so im guessing it intergrates as part of the OS huh (or does it install a LLD??)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2009   #38
TheOnlyValidReason

win7(7k), VistaULT(SP2BETA), BACKTRACK3(slax,linux)
 
 

well gentlemen,
i guess we are straying off topic here.
well, laters.


P.s: its a part of system now ,,cache is 1.5 gb,, and what the hell is lld? hehe *nub alert*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2009   #39
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheOnlyValidReason View Post
well gentlemen,
i guess we are straying off topic here.
well, laters.


P.s: its a part of system now ,,cache is 1.5 gb,, and what the hell is lld? hehe *nub alert*

lmao
i meant Low level driver (oops its called kernel driver ...)
you know like even lowe

so it basically is the system now...
(ohh ok that a pretty big cache...)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No new boot screen in Aspire One with 6956.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual boot Acer Aspire 4752G
Hi, I am planning to help a friend who had an issue with her laptop an Acer Aspire 4752G. I recently had to use the Acer eRecovery Management because her unit went berserk and could not boot after a visitor had inserted a usb stick. Well it's all okay now and have recovered a default factory...
Installation & Setup
Acer Aspire 4553 won't boot up
I need your help people! I have a practically brand new ACER ASPIRE 4553 (1 month old, max) and I was experiencing some reboot failures and also having problems turning the computer on, how's that? Well, for example when rebooting the computer it did not turn back on (kept a black screen, no...
Hardware & Devices
Aspire One virtual screen
This seems like as good a place as any to ask. On my Acer Aspire One, in XP I used to have the ability to have a virtual screen larger than the physical screen. Even though I know this isn't a Windows 7 function, I hope someone can help me figure out if a driver change could give me back this...
Graphic Cards
Need Help with Acer Aspire 4540 screen resolution
i have installed Windows 7 Ultimate in my notebook but screen is not in good resolution... i have tried install ATI Catatlyst 9.12 from device manager but it said there's something problem during installation. i hope i can run aero in my notebook... help me please... my graphic card is ATI...
Graphic Cards
Acer Aspire 9300 {Blue Screen}
Hi Guys,i'm having an problem with an laptop of an friend,he had problems before with is laptop and decided to format and installed again xp OS,he had before the same OS,but now he had installed xp and got problems like blue screen and battery driver,the laptop when he starts does good,but the...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 build 6956 Screen Shots
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App