Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: High pitch sound coming from computer.

28 Aug 2010   #1
natturner

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 
High pitch sound coming from computer.

There's this high pitch sound coming from my computer. You can hear it if you're within like 6 or 7 feet. I think it's coming from the cooling fan. The weird thing I noticed is that the sound goes away if my ethernet cable is not plugged in.
Any ideas how to fix it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Aug 2010   #2
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by natturner View Post
There's this high pitch sound coming from my computer. You can hear it if you're within like 6 or 7 feet. I think it's coming from the cooling fan. The weird thing I noticed is that the sound goes away if my ethernet cable is not plugged in.
Any ideas how to fix it?
Natturner hi and welcome


There are of course many things that can cause this but the most frequent ones are fans. Is your computer a laptop, or desktop? Is it under warranty?

If you feel comfortable, and it is not in warranty, you can (on a desktop) unplug it and open the case. Carefully (electricity is dangerous) look for loose parts on the fans. When finished plug it back in and turn it on. Can you still hear it? Can you see where it is coming from ?

Let us know if you need further assistance

Jan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #3
Aphelion

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by natturner View Post
There's this high pitch sound coming from my computer. You can hear it if you're within like 6 or 7 feet. I think it's coming from the cooling fan. The weird thing I noticed is that the sound goes away if my ethernet cable is not plugged in.
Any ideas how to fix it?
It would really help to know your computer specs... makes a BIG difference.

laptop, desktop, make etc...


Not sure if it's fan related because of the ethernet cable oddity.

-Some possible causes... ground differential between the cable/dsl modem and the computer. Is the power supply for the modem plugged into the same outlet the computer is plugged into? If not, try that first. As a test you could try a ground lift (2 to 3 prong connector) on the modem's power supply.

-It's also possible the PC's audio system is picking up motherboard noise generated by the data cable/internal circuitry. Mute the PC's master audio to test.

-If a desktop, does it have the PC speaker hooked up, not the audio system speakers but the one that beeps?

-Last, it's also possible a for a component on the motherboard to make this sound, I had an old synthesizer with loose windings on a coil that made a constant high pitched sound as it sat there and vibrated.

Ap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Aug 2010   #4
natturner

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

ok, upon further inspection, it's probably not a fan. the noise is present when the computer is plugged in, regardless of if the computer is on or off (just quieter when it's off).

the computer is a desktop
evga intel p55 tr p55v sli/crossover mb
intel i5-760
xtremegear 600w power supply
corsair dominator 2gb pc1333 ddr3 pc3 10666 triple
nvidia gts 250
asetek 510lc 1200mm watercooler

um, i guess those would be the main computer components
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #5
natturner

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post

-It's also possible the PC's audio system is picking up motherboard noise generated by the data cable/internal circuitry. Mute the PC's master audio to test.

-If a desktop, does it have the PC speaker hooked up, not the audio system speakers but the one that beeps?

-Last, it's also possible a for a component on the motherboard to make this sound, I had an old synthesizer with loose windings on a coil that made a constant high pitched sound as it sat there and vibrated.

Ap
could you explain a bit how i would go about checking those?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #6
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by natturner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post

-It's also possible the PC's audio system is picking up motherboard noise generated by the data cable/internal circuitry. Mute the PC's master audio to test.

-If a desktop, does it have the PC speaker hooked up, not the audio system speakers but the one that beeps?

-Last, it's also possible a for a component on the motherboard to make this sound, I had an old synthesizer with loose windings on a coil that made a constant high pitched sound as it sat there and vibrated.

Ap
could you explain a bit how i would go about checking those?
Stick your ear next to it with the side off and see if you can hear the exact area it's coming from.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #7
Aphelion

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by natturner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post

-It's also possible the PC's audio system is picking up motherboard noise generated by the data cable/internal circuitry. Mute the PC's master audio to test.

-If a desktop, does it have the PC speaker hooked up, not the audio system speakers but the one that beeps?

-Last, it's also possible a for a component on the motherboard to make this sound, I had an old synthesizer with loose windings on a coil that made a constant high pitched sound as it sat there and vibrated.

Ap
could you explain a bit how i would go about checking those?

1) The first one is easy, go to the Windows volume control (MS speaker icon in task bar) and click on the small blue speaker icon below the volume fader (slider).


2) Does your computer have an audible "beep" when you turn it on?

Finding the noise on the motherboard could be tricky if you're not comfortable with electronics.

The first thing I would try is my other suggestion, see if you have a ground differential between the modem and the PC... this can cause noise. Read my first post. You will need to plug both the modem and the PC into the same wall outlet.. also, as a test the modem my need it's ground "lifted".

Ap
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #8
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by natturner View Post
ok, upon further inspection, it's probably not a fan. the noise is present when the computer is plugged in, regardless of if the computer is on or off (just quieter when it's off).
I'd think a high pitched sound with the PC off would likely point towards the PSU. I take it the sound goes away when you unplug it? If so, does it "wind down" or just stop immediately when unplugged?

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #9
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Get yourself a drinking straw and put one end in your ear. Then point the other end where you think the sound is coming from. You'll be pointing in the area of the source of the noise when the offending sound is the loudest. I'm also thinking its probably the power supply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #10
Carl Lawrence

Dual-boot: Windows 7 HP 32-bit SP1 & Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP2.
 
 

I would say it is the power supply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 High pitch sound coming from computer.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop fan makes high pitch noise, fan wearing out?
Hey guys, well I've been having an annoying problem with my laptop fan. It produces a high pitched noise that is just loud enough to annoy me :/ My room is quiet, so you can very easily hear it. I'm not sure how long it's been going on for, but I've noticed it the last few months. To me it sounds...
Performance & Maintenance
At start up laptop does a high pitch beep for a few before loading up?
I uninstalled Google Chrome recently and ever since I've been having some issues with my computer. Can somebody tell me what it means when I shut down or restart my computer and does a very high pitch beep, its like its screaming at me and then it flashes for a few seconds and then goes to the...
General Discussion
High Pitch Sound
I'm getting a high pitch sound coming through my Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headsets. The sound does lower as I lower the main volume, but then I can't hear anything else. Currently, I'm plugged into the rear USB ports and I tried switching to different USBs, but nothing changes.
Sound & Audio
palit geforce 560 gtx high pitch noise help
when i do a benchtest or if the gpu is at 100 percent it makes a palit high pitch noise but it is not coming from the fan
Graphic Cards
High freq/pitch sounds, Really need help here
Hello everyone, Im new to these forums but i'll try my best to explain the problem Im having here. Please note: Im not sure if this is the right place to submit this thread but if it's not then please move it to the appopriate folder. My specs are: Intel Dp35dp motherboard Intel Core2quad...
BSOD Help and Support
High pitch sound from computer
I've been struggling with the following for weeks. This is with Windows 7, 64-bit, and 2 gigs of memory. I can be using the computer with no problems, and then try to play one of the graphic video games such as "Dirt2". As soon as the game starts, a high-pitch sound starts coming from the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App