. Let me assure you logicearth
, Windows 7 was telling me I could not access my own data because I did not have adequate permissions. I should have been more specific in explaining the problems I was getting.
I got errors telling me that I couldn't move or delete file system objects because I did not have requisite permissions - etc. I use the past tense because I may have overcome them by what I consider to be "brute" force.
Also until about an hour ago I didn't have a working screen capture program so I couldn't capture what was happening. But I've figured out that BugShooting 1.9 does work under Windows 7, its just that its not supported, I never needed any support before so I'll live with that.
My problems stem from having 6 hard drives (4 of them external), only drive C is new, the others were all inherited from an unmanaged
XP system, i.e. only one user, no password etc. That system died unexpectedly and catastrophically so I couldn't migrate
from XP to Windows 7. I needed to get something up and running fast. So due to lack of time and inclination I didn't build the new system myself, I got the shop to do that; a decision I'm already regretting.
The problems seem to have gone "away", here's what I've done,
- given myself a user password - never had one on XP;
- disabled UAC;
- made my userid the owner of all drives and with full access control. That took time, I think Windows 7 modified the security data stream in every NTFS object - I used drive->properties->security sheet->advanced.
If I get the errors again, I'll capture the exact circumstances by taking some screen shots and post them here.
Its a pity that Windows doesn't have something like a superuser, I'm sure VMS had one, Cutler must have been asleep that day