Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WEI Score Index is over rated

26 May 2009   #1
bubba in nv

Win 7 RC
 
 
WEI Score Index is over rated

There seems to be a major issue with everyones WEI score for some reason.

I am by no means a computer Guru, but I have been able to build and maintain my computers since early UNIX, and using the MILNET, anyone ever hear of that or use it?

I have several computers networked in my home both desktop and laptop. My primary computer is a intel quad core that I built from Frys parts.

It runs everything great. With a 24 inch monitor the only "big" game I play is Unreal Tournament, and it is blazing fast and looks great.

I produce movies, some HD, for local non profit groups in my spare time, and I have no problem doing that or sreaming video. Broadband with no internet surfing issues. All in all there is not anything that I would consider a performance problem with any part of my computer.

However all of my WEI scores are 7.1 or better except my graphics card, and it is rated at 3.1. There is nothing wrong with my graphic cards performance. Windows seems to think there is. You do not need a "score" to tell you that your graphics card is not performng well. Or that your audio could be better, or bigger and faster hard drives. It should be obvious when you try to do something that it struggles with.

I think everyone is getting over hyped with the WEI index. I have the same score on the same computer when it was running Vista. Now it is 7RC. And it is running better/faster than it was with Vista.

IMHO I think the WEI was just invented to make us waste money on new hardware that is not always needed. Windows may not like my graphics card, but I certainly do. And then I get amused when I read about those who go in and change their WEI settings just to impress themselves or their friends.

If your computer is performing to your satisfaction, the WEI means nothing. But from what I have read since 2006 when I first installed Vista, a lot of people think it is the definitive benchmark for their computers performance. Before you spend money needlessly for upgrades, try running different benchmarks that are readily available on the internet. Remember, it it aint broke... don"t fix it until it is broke.

I wonder how much the hardware companies paid Microsoft to invent the WEI system?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 May 2009   #2
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

The WEI, is way off scale, i have a nvidia 9800gt, that scores 3.2, and i pretty sure that shouldn't be the case, I wouldn't base anything on the WEI, its too inaccurate IMO.

Enzo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #3
eVox

Win 7 (7100 x64); OS X 10.5.6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ENZO View Post
The WEI, is way off scale, i have a nvidia 9800gt, that scores 3.2, and i pretty sure that shouldn't be the case, I wouldn't base anything on the WEI, its too inaccurate IMO.

Enzo.
Something is seriously wrong there. Were you doing stuff in the background whilst you were running the assessment?
I have a 9600GT which pulls 6.0 in both Aero and Gaming Graphics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 May 2009   #4
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

nope, nothing running at all, except startup programs

Its ridiculously out of proportion..

Enzo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #5
jfar

Vista Ult64, Win7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bubba in nv View Post
There seems to be a major issue with everyones WEI score for some reason.

I am by no means a computer Guru, but I have been able to build and maintain my computers since early UNIX, and using the MILNET, anyone ever hear of that or use it?

I have several computers networked in my home both desktop and laptop. My primary computer is a intel quad core that I built from Frys parts.

It runs everything great. With a 24 inch monitor the only "big" game I play is Unreal Tournament, and it is blazing fast and looks great.

I produce movies, some HD, for local non profit groups in my spare time, and I have no problem doing that or sreaming video. Broadband with no internet surfing issues. All in all there is not anything that I would consider a performance problem with any part of my computer.

However all of my WEI scores are 7.1 or better except my graphics card, and it is rated at 3.1. There is nothing wrong with my graphic cards performance. Windows seems to think there is. You do not need a "score" to tell you that your graphics card is not performng well. Or that your audio could be better, or bigger and faster hard drives. It should be obvious when you try to do something that it struggles with.

I think everyone is getting over hyped with the WEI index. I have the same score on the same computer when it was running Vista. Now it is 7RC. And it is running better/faster than it was with Vista.

IMHO I think the WEI was just invented to make us waste money on new hardware that is not always needed. Windows may not like my graphics card, but I certainly do. And then I get amused when I read about those who go in and change their WEI settings just to impress themselves or their friends.

If your computer is performing to your satisfaction, the WEI means nothing. But from what I have read since 2006 when I first installed Vista, a lot of people think it is the definitive benchmark for their computers performance. Before you spend money needlessly for upgrades, try running different benchmarks that are readily available on the internet. Remember, it it aint broke... don"t fix it until it is broke.

I wonder how much the hardware companies paid Microsoft to invent the WEI system?
I agree,good post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #6
eVox

Win 7 (7100 x64); OS X 10.5.6
 
 

@Enzo: That is ridiculous...
You done benchmarks?
And how does it perform on games?

Even my old nVidia 7300LE achieved 3.4 or so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #7
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

It performs as it should with game, with no problems

Enzo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #8
eVox

Win 7 (7100 x64); OS X 10.5.6
 
 

Weird. Tried filing a bug report/contacting MS about it? Might be worth doing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #9
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

Hahaha, i shall whens i get around to it

Enzo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2009   #10
RST101

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eVox View Post
Something is seriously wrong there. Were you doing stuff in the background whilst you were running the assessment?
I have a 9600GT which pulls 6.0 in both Aero and Gaming Graphics.
I have 9600gt that scores 5.9 in Aero and 5.8 in gaming so something is seriously wrong. The most common that I have come across for 9600gt is 5.9 for both. the scales are well and truly broke.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WEI Score Index is over rated




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What's your Reliability index score?
What's your Reliability Monitor stability index score? In Action Center> Maintenence> View System History comes up a window of a Reliability Score! Mine started out at 10 (of course) and is slowly going down thanks to Pidgin which for somereason always has the buddy list crash.:confused: ...
Performance & Maintenance
Reliability index score?
This does'nt seem to be working on my laptop,here's a screenshot.I have'nt just installed Windows either. http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7175792553_678dcd7dfd_z.jpg
Performance & Maintenance
Low CPU Index Score
I ran the windows experience index assessment and got the following scores: CPU: 3.5 RAM: 4.5 GPU: 4.9 Gaming: 4.6 HDD: 5.8 The system I am running is an ASUS W2jb laptop with intel 945PM express chipset.
Performance & Maintenance
Problem with Index Score..
Dont know if I am @ the right place here, but i have question. When I try 2 refresh my index it says that I have the battery in de computer,, That cant be, because it is a desktop computer. Is this a known problem, or can i switch this of somewhere ? Sorry if the english issent good, I am...
Performance & Maintenance
Low Experience Index processor score...
Hi folks! I'm new to the forums and I tried searching around a bit for this with no luck. Right now I have a Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor. Win7 is giving me an Experience Index rating of 3.7. Everything else, besides my hdd...
Hardware & Devices
index score problems
Hey seven forums Just installed OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 2GB) in correlation with Corsair 2GB XMS2-8500D Dominator TWIN2X Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB) that was previously installed. The mobo is the Asus P5E, intel Q6600, 4870 wdm 1.1 Windows 7 64 bit...
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App