Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Physical memory and available memory

18 Oct 2010   #11

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
ggeoff, here you will find the memory-related chapter from Dell's instruction manual for Precision 490 - I guess that's your model. When inserting memory you should follow the directions precisely, especially pay attention to the slot numbers. Please let us know how this went.

Now, to check whether your system recognizes your new DIMMs, simply remove all other memory and put one new DIMM in slot 1. If the BIOS won't see it - and the computer won't boot - that means that either the DIMM is defective, or it is not suitable for your motherboard, or you may need a BIOS upgrade. I don't see any other possibility.
yes thanks have read and read that. According to Dell it makes no difference, they suggest using sets of four sticks but also suggest sets of two sticks. BIOS detects 9 Gb as what is in the DIMMs but only 5 GB. So thats odd and also the 4 GB sticks are 2 GB sticks according to the table.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Oct 2010   #12

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ggeoff View Post
Hi

My first post.I have added new memory, or rather second hand memory, to my Dell Precision 490, Windows Pro 7 64 bit system. (I bought an upgrade from XP Pro 32 bit).
You can't upgrade from 32 to 64 bit. Do you mean that you purchased a 64 bit DVD and did a Clean Install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #13

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

@bigmck

Off topic but for what it's worth I have upgraded from XP Pro 32 bit to windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I bought a windows 7 pro Upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Oct 2010   #14

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ggeoff View Post
@bigmck

Off topic but for what it's worth I have upgraded from XP Pro 32 bit to windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I bought a windows 7 pro Upgrade.
If you did not do a clean install, I am not sure what you did. There is no upgrade from XP to Win 7 and there is no upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You must have done a clean install.
Are you sure you are running 64-bit? That could be the reason you are seeing the memory problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #15

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ggeoff View Post
@bigmck

Off topic but for what it's worth I have upgraded from XP Pro 32 bit to windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I bought a windows 7 pro Upgrade.
If you did not do a clean install, I am not sure what you did. There is no upgrade from XP to Win 7 and there is no upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You must have done a clean install.
Are you sure you are running 64-bit? That could be the reason you are seeing the memory problem.
Thanks bigmck, Well, I have the upgrade package it contains two disks 32 and 64 bit versions. It is described as Upgrade designed for Windows Vista but does include the warning reprinted below. "If you are upgrading from Windows XP you will need to back up your files and settings, perform a clean install and then re-install your existing files, settings and programs."

I had a clean system, no programs, so no backup etc required. Control Panel reports that I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System. Are you suggesting that the upgrade is possibly corrupt?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #16

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Home Premium x64
 
 

I doubt it is a corrupt install if the BIOS itself is not seeing the new memory. I am still questioning about the memory in and of itself. Have you tried just putting one of the RAM sticks in and seeing if it bothers to see just the memory itself at startup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ggeoff View Post
Thanks bigmck, Well, I have the upgrade package it contains two disks 32 and 64 bit versions. It is described as Upgrade designed for Windows Vista but does include the warning reprinted below. "If you are upgrading from Windows XP you will need to back up your files and settings, perform a clean install and then re-install your existing files, settings and programs."

I had a clean system, no programs, so no backup etc required. Control Panel reports that I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System. Are you suggesting that the upgrade is possibly corrupt?
No, not corrupt. The fact that you told me it was a clean install instead of an upgrade, makes perfect sense. I was just confused because you said it was an upgrade. Sorry for any confusion on my part. == Your memory problem still is a mystery to me. Hopefully someone else can give you an answer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have to ask....what/who manufactures 4gb sticks of DDR-2 SDRAM (240 pin) desktop memory that runs at 533 or 667 mhz. I would really like to see this memory, can you provide a link because the best I can do in DDR-2 is 2gb per stick which, with 8 slots, would give you a max of 16gb with DDR-2 memory. All 4 gb sticks that I can find for desktops are DDR-3 which is not compatible with your system according to your spec's.

Specs: Documentation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #19

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Keiichi25 View Post
Another thing to consider is also checking whether or not that is the correct memory for your system. When you got the second hand ram, did you go through the memory configurators for Crucial, or Kingston or the like to make sure it works for that model of computer.

I have to ask this cause sometimes people think they have the right kind of ram, but ended up getting the wrong kind, not knowing that the speeds and chips make a difference.
Hi
I bought it on ebay from a dealer and aasked whether it will work on the Dell 490 and was told it will.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2010   #20

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Keiichi25 View Post
I doubt it is a corrupt install if the BIOS itself is not seeing the new memory. I am still questioning about the memory in and of itself. Have you tried just putting one of the RAM sticks in and seeing if it bothers to see just the memory itself at startup?
Thanks Keiichi

Well if I put the 512MB stick and the 4GB stick I get a message: Operating in single channel mode please populate memory in matched sets for normal operation. Setop reports: Installed memory 512 MB memory Channel Mode: Single DIMM 1 512MB and DIMM 2 2GB. Conrol Panel reports: Installed memory 2.50 GB (512 MB usuable). PC Wizard 2010 reports: DIMM 1 512 MB anf DIMM 2 2048 MB The program lists the manufacturers of the memory as well and in that list of contents of the DIMMs it lists DIMM 2 as 4096 MB ( 4 ranks of 8 banks)

If I just try to install the two 4 GB sticks the system reports via a signal lamp no memory installed. I've given up on this and will return the memory for a replacement or a refund. I have also posted a query on the Dell forum and will share any information I get that sheds light on the issue.

Thanks everyone for helping
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Physical memory and available memory




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Physical memory and available memory
Thread Forum
Available Physical Memory Hardware & Devices
Solved Low physical memory? Performance & Maintenance
Avaiable Physical memory = 12mb, Physical memory total = 1gb Hardware & Devices
My laptop uses a big part of my Memory (physical memory) General Discussion
Physical Memory? General Discussion
99% physical memory 6GB ram help! Performance & Maintenance
Physical Memory at 50% Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33