Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Strange things happening on w7

17 Oct 2010   #1

Windows 7 home premium
 
 
Strange things happening on w7

I used a de-frag programme to speed up my VAIO which uses Windows 7. it was a disaster.
As a result I've had to re-load lots of stuff and an unfortunate side effect has been that when in Control Panel I can't click on lots of the links to perform actions like "create a new user profile" "find and fix problems" etc. it's a nightmare. Can anyone help?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Oct 2010   #2

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I used a de-frag programme to speed up my VAIO which uses Windows 7. it was a disaster.
As a result I've had to re-load lots of stuff and an unfortunate side effect has been that when in Control Panel I can't click on lots of the links to perform actions like "create a new user profile" "find and fix problems" etc. it's a nightmare. Can anyone help?

what program did you use?


it should of made a restore point or promted you to make one usually so restore back to before you performed the defrag.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #3

Windows 7 home premium
 
 

used Glary utlilities and autoboost but panicked and dis installed them thinking they were the prob when it happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Oct 2010   #4

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
used Glary utlilities and autoboost but panicked and dis installed them thinking they were the prob when it happened.

Well restore back to before you defraged, the program should be able to do that for you within the logs settings not sure on glary utilities been a long time since i used that program.

I use winutilities pro, it's great for everything.

YL Software - WinUtilities Professional Edition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #5

Windows 7 home premium
 
 

tried to do that but it won't let me click thru to restore to an earlier time. keep hitting the link and no joy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #6

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
tried to do that but it won't let me click thru to restore to an earlier time. keep hitting the link and no joy

safe mode?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #7
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Hi Scribe ! Welcome to the forums .

First of all , when one utility is bundled with windows , and that is efficient enough (Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragment ) why will you go for a third party program ?

Secondly , it seems that you cannot access to Accessories > System Tools >System Restore .... is it ? IF so , there is an alternative way to do it . Do you have windows 7 installation dvd ? (if you dont have , Download Windows 7 System Recovery Disc and burn it in a dvd) Boot from it . When it will say "install now" , click on "repair" (see the attachment ) . From the recovery options you may easily choose system restore option .


Attached Thumbnails
Strange things happening on w7-step4.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #8

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Hi Scribe ! Welcome to the forums .

First of all , when one utility is bundled with windows , and that is efficient enough (Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragment ) why will you go for a third party program ?

Secondly , it seems that you cannot access to Accessories > System Tools >System Restore .... is it ? IF so , there is an alternative way to do it . Do you have windows 7 installation dvd ? (if you dont have , Download Windows 7 System Recovery Disc and burn it in a dvd) Boot from it . When it will say "install now" , click on "repair" (see the attachment ) . From the recovery options you may easily choose system restore option .

No disrespect but the utilities in windows is ok for the average user for more advanced user 'third party programs' are much more efficient and do a better job.

9 out 10 windows user's would agree.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #9

Windows 7 home premium
 
 
Success

Hannibal, thanks...that worked so i've sorted it. Owe you one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2010   #10

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Hannibal, thanks...that worked so i've sorted it. Owe you one.
No probs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Strange things happening on w7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Strange things happening on w7
Thread Forum
Strange Happening With WinMend Folder Hiding Program Software
Strange things I don't know how to fix Network & Sharing
Left click sometimes does strange things General Discussion
Solved Laptop acting strange. Few things happening. Hardware & Devices
Strange behaviour started happening with my HP desktop BSOD Help and Support
Strange thinmgs happening with folders Microsoft Office
Weird Things Happening Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33