Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Switch user - logs off!

22 Oct 2010   #1

professional
 
 
Switch user - logs off!

I have searched the forum and found a few 'solutions' but none have worked. the problem i am having is that first of all there is no switch user listed in the start menu.

when i use the ctrl+alt+del option and use switch user it logs off whatever other user is logged on but before doing so it warns "another user is currently logged on to this computer. if you continue this user's windows session will end and any un-saved data will be lost. do you want to continue?"

i have used the gpedit.msc to try to fix this via the 'hide entry points for fast user switching' but that does not work. has anyone else figured out a fix for this microslop os issue and if so can you post a link?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Oct 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Why are you doing it through the task manager? In the start menu, click the little arrow next to the shut down button and then click switch user.

"another user is currently logged on to this computer. if you continue this user's windows session will end and any un-saved data will be lost. do you want to continue?"

Yup, it's telling you that it's going to kick you off


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by goyim View Post
I have searched the forum and found a few 'solutions' but none have worked. the problem i am having is that first of all there is no switch user listed in the start menu.

when i use the ctrl+alt+del option and use switch user it logs off whatever other user is logged on but before doing so it warns "another user is currently logged on to this computer. if you continue this user's windows session will end and any un-saved data will be lost. do you want to continue?"

i have used the gpedit.msc to try to fix this via the 'hide entry points for fast user switching' but that does not work. has anyone else figured out a fix for this microslop os issue and if so can you post a link?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2010   #3

professional
 
 

the option does not even exist on my start menu which i find strange but yet it shows up on the ctrl+alt+del panel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Oct 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

I've known shut down buttons etc to vanish when you prohibit a user from them via gpedit.

In the MMC you can add the snap-in 'resultant of policy'. Did you check there to see if anything user related is configured that you don't recall configuring?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by goyim View Post
the option does not even exist on my start menu which i find strange but yet it shows up on the ctrl+alt+del panel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2010   #5

professional
 
 

getting to the option of switch user is NOT the problem. the problem exists with switch user itself. see the error message in original. instead of actually switching users and leaving the current user signed on with data intact it warns and then logs the previous user off... then carries out the logon with the next user. so the solution i am looking for is what can i do to stop windows 7 from completely logging off the first user and allowing me to log one with an additional user WITHOUT logging the first user off?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2010   #6

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Well, as long as you get there somehow. I guess that the mmc snap-in didn't register anything odd configured?

Did you confirm that all the relevant services are running, like secondary login and user profile services?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by goyim View Post
getting to the option of switch user is NOT the problem. the problem exists with switch user itself. see the error message in original. instead of actually switching users and leaving the current user signed on with data intact it warns and then logs the previous user off... then carries out the logon with the next user. so the solution i am looking for is what can i do to stop windows 7 from completely logging off the first user and allowing me to log one with an additional user WITHOUT logging the first user off?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2010   #7

professional
 
 

login is running but there is no fast user switching, secondary login, or profile service running which i also find strange. the cd i used to install the OS was slipstreamed so im wondering if an update that was installed messed up the overall services? i didnt remove any services when i did the slipstream but im puzzled as to why the fast user switchnig isnt even listed in the services.msc

also there are no snap-ins installed
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2010   #8

Win7 HP (x64)/Win7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by goyim View Post
login is running but there is no fast user switching, secondary login, or profile service running which i also find strange. the cd i used to install the OS was slipstreamed so im wondering if an update that was installed messed up the overall services? i didnt remove any services when i did the slipstream but im puzzled as to why the fast user switchnig isnt even listed in the services.msc

also there are no snap-ins installed
Try creating another user account and see if the problem persists i.e. check if you are able to switch user from the new account
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2010   #9

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

That sounds like the source of it maybe. My working install doesn't have fast user switching--wasn't that a XP service? But it does have secondary login and user profile services etc listed and running. Then again, I never slip streamed the install. Something could have gone wrong during the streaming process?

There are ways to get those services, but it requires goofing with the registry and having a second machine to get the entries from in the first place.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by goyim View Post
but there is no fast user switching, secondary login, or profile service running
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Switch user - logs off!





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33