Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: .EXE Files Do Not Open - even in safe mode!

29 Oct 2010   #1
contristo

Windows 7, 64 bit
 
 
.EXE Files Do Not Open - even in safe mode!

this has been occurring ever since my computer was diagnosed with a trojan. i removed it, and ever since then no .EXE files will open. I will click on any .EXE file, the revolving circle signifying loading will show for a second, and then it won't load at all - the program is not present in the task manager.

the weird thing is, there is no difference in safe mode. no .EXE file will run in any variation of safe mode. this prevents me from running ANYTHING apart from the command prompt, viewing folders, and notepad. i cannot load the internet, a virus scanner, NOTHING. it is difficult to fix something when one is literally unable to access anything.

i have attempted the 'repair my computer' option when i press f8, but it says it can't be repaired automatically. i downloaded a registry fix from a different computer, but it reads the message "Could not import exefix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes".

I cannot load a registry fix, virus scanner, or the internet. i STILL cannot open .EXE files in any variation of safe mode. i do not have the windows 7 disc so i cannot reformat. additionally, the trojan appears to have erased all my system restore points, so i cannot restore to any previous time.

i have literally run out of ideas. i can't even install any fixes! any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2010   #2
johngalt

 

A long time ago, I had something similar happen to me. I found my computer infected with some variant of the WinA Lizard (or something like that) virus that infected every .exe file I ran while it was on my system. It hosed every executable on the HD b/c it actually infected my command.com (in windows 95 - shows you *how* long ago). I got lucky b/c I loved making all of my .ZIP files self extracting executable files, and hosed every single one of the. I was able to still manually open the files using WinZIP, but I learned then not to make self-extracting executable files anymore.

At any rate, though, I found so many residual problems with that system I eventually formatted and reinstalled my OS. In this case, unless you can figure out how to restore your system to work correctly, this may end up being your only option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #3
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Go by what the message tells you: "Could not import exefix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes"

Try going into safe mode, open up services and then start clicking services and telling them to stop-- but don't do it to the RPC or DWM. After you've stopped a bunch of them, try applying your exe regfix

Just a thought
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by contristo View Post
i have attempted the 'repair my computer' option when i press f8, but it says it can't be repaired automatically. i downloaded a registry fix from a different computer, but it reads the message "Could not import exefix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Oct 2010   #4
contristo

Windows 7, 64 bit
 
 

thanks for the replies
johngalt, how do i go about reformatting my hard drive without the Windows 7 disc?
rei, there are only five services active:
DCOM Server Process
Plug and play
remote procedure call
RPC Endpoint maPPER
User profile service

for all these services, the option for 'start' 'stop' pause' etc. are all greyed out. keep in mind this is in safe mode. does this mean the culprit is one of these five?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #5
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

No, those are core services.

Even with those only listed as running it still doesn't let you apply the fix... what's on your startup list in msconfig?

Edit: that probably won't run, then how about in the startup folder in the start menu

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by contristo View Post
thanks for the replies
johngalt, how do i go about reformatting my hard drive without the Windows 7 disc?
rei, there are only five services active:
DCOM Server Process
Plug and play
remote procedure call
RPC Endpoint maPPER
User profile service

for all these services, the option for 'start' 'stop' pause' etc. are all greyed out. keep in mind this is in safe mode. does this mean the culprit is one of these five?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #6
contristo

Windows 7, 64 bit
 
 

the only two services in msconfig that are 'Running' are Group Policy Client and RPC Endpoint Mapper. there are no programs running under 'Startup'.

it's amazing to me that an os like Windows 7 can have a trojan bury itself into one of the core drivers. obviously i am only running the bare minimum, yet i am still unable to open any .exe file.

is there any way to just restore this to factory settings without the Windows 7 disc? i don't care if i lose files. i can just put the important files on my external hd before resetting. i've been working for hours on this and i'm about to give up since no one has an answer, but am without a windows 7 disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #7
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

... group policy?! That's a powerful tool.

If you can run some .EXE files (msconfig, notepad) then there is the chance that a software restriction was enabled or something like that. GPC enforces these rules. I'd un-tick/stop the GPC service.

If you can load MMC, add the following snap-in: Result of policy, then check through the list of things it says are configured. There really shouldn't be much listed if you've never used it before, so suspicious entries should stand out.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by contristo View Post
the only two services in msconfig that are 'Running' are Group Policy Client and RPC Endpoint Mapper. there are no programs running under 'Startup'.

it's amazing to me that an os like Windows 7 can have a trojan bury itself into one of the core drivers. obviously i am only running the bare minimum, yet i am still unable to open any .exe file.

is there any way to just restore this to factory settings without the Windows 7 disc? i don't care if i lose files. i can just put the important files on my external hd before resetting. i've been working for hours on this and i'm about to give up since no one has an answer, but am without a windows 7 disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #8
contristo

Windows 7, 64 bit
 
 

thanks for your extended help rei. really appreciate it.

i'll try and disable that to see what happens, but it is not able to be disabled via the services. is there a way for me to disable it? all the methods for disabling it on google are for vista and do not apply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #9
contristo

Windows 7, 64 bit
 
 

i tried to use this method: Disable Group Policy In Windows

but when i get to the part where you change the START to decimal 4 it says "cannot edit Start: Error writing the value's new contents."

something tells me this might be the culprit. gotta be some way to get around it...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2010   #10
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Mine can't be shut off either it seems. Must be the default way for it in Win 7.

Which browser do you use mainly on the computer? Firefox? IE? Have you tried renaming the .EXE for the browser and seeing if it runs?

Much like the registry, I really wouldn't recommend trying to fix things in there if you have no prior experience.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by contristo View Post
thanks for your extended help rei. really appreciate it.

i'll try and disable that to see what happens, but it is not able to be disabled via the services. is there a way for me to disable it? all the methods for disabling it on google are for vista and do not apply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 .EXE Files Do Not Open - even in safe mode!




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cant open windows 7 even in safe mode help pls
Hi guys! having a problem with my pc i cant open windows at all, even in safe mode, when i try to open it in safe mode it starts loading windows files then stops on driver 32 something (i can get the exact code if needed) pauses for a moment then the screen goes black with safe mode write in each...
General Discussion
Can only open windows in safe mode
Hellouu i have again problem with my computer. so my problem is that when i open windows in normal mode it works first normal but if u try open any programs e.g taskmgr its give error which is this: Windows have stopped something cant remember ...
General Discussion
computer unable to open files after a while, ok in safe mode
My desktop after a while will not open any programs or files. I would say after 30 min to an hour. I have to reset the computer manually and the whole issue happens again. This doesn't appear to happen in safe mode though. I've used multiple virus programs to remove them but the issue still...
General Discussion
Not being able to open MSCONFIG in CMD or safe mode!
Hi I'll get straight to the issue in hand I have a virus on my laptop, i was in the process of sorting this out, however i clicked on run - Msconfig - Boot - safe boot and selected minimal. I re-started and the computer loaded automatically in safe mode, however it got to the blue screen and...
System Security
Windows 7 Programs wont open even in safe mode.
Hi I'm having some serious problems since last night. All of a sudden my computer restarted on its own and when it restarted none of my programs loaded up in the taskbar and only certain programs will open like IE 64. I tried doing "sfc /scannow" about 5 times with no results and most of the...
Software
BSOD, won't open in Safe mode
So, about a week ago the sound stopped working on my laptop. A customer service guy from Dell wlaked me through installing a new sound card. It fixed my sound! I was so happy. Oh, but the excitement was short lived. About a half hour after installing the sound card, my computer randomly shut down....
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App