Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Desktop Icons


07 Nov 2010   #1

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 
Desktop Icons

Hi, can anyone please tell me if removing all my desktop icons 20 of them will increase the boot time when i start windows 7?..thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Negligibly maybe. However, if it were to increase it at all, I don't think you'd be able to notice it. If you're looking to increase the speed of start up of Windows 7 (or any recent version of Windows), I would suggest looking at the start-up programs with msconfig. Method three of Startup Programs - Change would be very good to look into.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #3

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darician View Post
Negligibly maybe. However, if it were to increase it at all, I don't think you'd be able to notice it. If you're looking to increase the speed of start up of Windows 7 (or any recent version of Windows), I would suggest looking at the start-up programs with msconfig. Method three of Startup Programs - Change would be very good to look into.
Thanks Darician, i have nothing starting up in programs, just that the welcome screen takes forever,with the spinning wheel,how can i make it faster?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Nov 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

This may provide some tips on it, particularly numbers 7 (which you've seen) and 8. Optimize Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #5

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Startup options can be tricky, Your slow start could be any one of several driver programs. I would recommend that you either use msconfig or a free program called startupinspector to see what is starting
up when you boot. Some computers from OEM's* put all kinds of junkware in them and each one slows things down a bit continually checking for updates and such.

*(original equipment manufacturers, like Dell, Hp and such)

Additionally, Adobe and others like to install version/update checks in your startup routines, which will
slow down any computer.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #6

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darician View Post
This may provide some tips on it, particularly numbers 7 (which you've seen) and 8. Optimize Windows 7
Great,Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #7

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
Startup options can be tricky, Your slow start could be any one of several driver programs. I would recommend that you either use msconfig or a free program called startupinspector to see what is starting
up when you boot. Some computers from OEM's* put all kinds of junkware in them and each one slows things down a bit continually checking for updates and such.

*(original equipment manufacturers, like Dell, Hp and such)

Additionally, Adobe and others like to install version/update checks in your startup routines, which will
slow down any computer.

Rich
Thank You Rich! Very Helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #8

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

You can also use an application- Soluto which will show you what programs run at boot time and how much time each took to execute. And a program from sysinternals named Autoruns will show you all startup items and hidden startup locations too in detail which you disable or delete as per your need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #9

Windows 7 - 32 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EzioAuditore View Post
You can also use an application- Soluto which will show you what programs run at boot time and how much time each took to execute. And a program from sysinternals named Autoruns will show you all startup items and hidden startup locations too in detail which you disable or delete as per your need.
Thank You Ezio.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2010   #10

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

Your welcome Riptorn.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Desktop Icons




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33