Quote: Originally Posted by Ciara
, I got a new (to me) PC today its a built one, the guy was selling because he is to be made redundant, anyway I had a Windows XP laptop before but this PC is a big box, I know its Windows 7 and the guy told me a lot about it (that I did not fully understand) but its working well I think. The only thing I recognise is CCleaner and that says (MS Windows 7 32bit Intel Core2Duo CPU E8400 @3.00GHz, 4.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD4800 Series) ? He said something about driver updates so what do I update ?, appreciate any advice
Well for someone that doesnt know a lot about computers there are some third party applications that will search and find recent drivers for you to download.
While these arent the best solution they do a decent enough job.
If you want to try to do it yourself you will need to get familiar with device manager
Please go to start>search>type device manager.
Are there any "unknown devices" with yellow triangles on them?
Is you driver there , listed, and working?
If your driver is missing, or there is a yellow triangle on it, you will need to update it.
If you right click any driver and go to driver they will tell you the date. Anything older than 7/13/09 needs to be updated if there is one.
How To Find Drivers:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads