Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style?

21 Nov 2010   #1
Jangofett

Win7Ultimate x64
 
 
Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style?

I keep hearing (MS?) people saying that if you move to win7 your only option to deal with any gripes you might have with it s way of doing things, is to just cope with them.

Well now, aint that some way to spoil your customers!

Heres what.

I ve got folders with images and I do a lot of sorting and moving around and when I used XP I could see little fancy tumbnail previews of the images inside the folder, ON the folder icon.

Windows 7 does this too but in an inept, I-need-to-be-different-for-differents-sake kinda way.

Now, why the heck would MS want to go changin stuff around that aint needin no changin around I wonder.

Then I wonder if theres somewhere I can change this around to a practical setting but soon realize theres no such setting anywhere.

... hence I ve arrived here.

Is there a hack/tool/whatever around someplace that will let me fix Windows Explorer tomake it useful to me once again?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Nov 2010   #2
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jangofett View Post
I keep hearing (MS?) people saying that if you move to win7 your only option to deal with any gripes you might have with it s way of doing things, is to just cope with them.

Well now, aint that some way to spoil your customers!

Heres what.

I ve got folders with images and I do a lot of sorting and moving around and when I used XP I could see little fancy tumbnail previews of the images inside the folder, ON the folder icon.

Windows 7 does this too but in an inept, I-need-to-be-different-for-differents-sake kinda way.

Now, why the heck would MS want to go changin stuff around that aint needin no changin around I wonder.

Then I wonder if theres somewhere I can change this around to a practical setting but soon realize theres no such setting anywhere.

... hence I ve arrived here.

Is there a hack/tool/whatever around someplace that will let me fix Windows Explorer tomake it useful to me once again?
What's wrong with the way Windows 7 folders display their pictures?
Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  50.8 KB

I've actually found that it works pretty well when I have my thumbnails set somewhere between "Large Icons" and "Extra Large Icons":
Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  22.2 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #3
Jangofett

Win7Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
What's wrong with the way Windows 7 folders display their pictures?



The answer to that is in your own picture.

I need unobscured folder preview thumnails and the flat, 2D quad thumb folder preview.

The Win7 way of doing this is just looks over functionality and will most likely have me move back to XP rather than going 3rd party software for something that was already in the OS before.

I cant beleive M$ scrapped such a useful feature just like that. The XP implmentation really ought to have been a legacy function, costing M$ only the slightest of efforts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Nov 2010   #4
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jangofett View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
What's wrong with the way Windows 7 folders display their pictures?


The answer to that is in your own picture.

I need unobscured folder preview thumnails and the flat, 2D quad thumb folder preview.

The Win7 way of doing this is just looks over functionality and will most likely have me move back to XP rather than going 3rd party software for something that was already in the OS before.

I cant beleive M$ scrapped such a useful feature just like that. The XP implmentation really ought to have been a legacy function, costing M$ only the slightest of efforts.
Name:  Image3.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  47.1 KB
Windows XP Folder Thumbnails

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  58.1 KB
Windows 7 Folder Thumbnails

For picture management, I don't really see much difference between Windows XP and Windows 7 methods of displaying folder thumbnails, with the exception that on Windows XP, the images displayed are more cramped and harder to see than on Windows 7.

In either case, really, would it not simply be easier to just go into the relevant folder and not have to squint your eyes at thumbnails that are less than 48x48 pixels? Just set your Thumbnail Size to "Extra Large Icons" or somewhere inbetween.

But if I might make a suggestion, you might want to consider using Microsoft Windows Live Essentials 2011 or ACDSee Photo Manager 12 for picture managements. I myself used ACDSee on Windows XP, but since I've been using Vista and later Windows 7, I adopted Windows Live Photo Gallery, which is easier to use.

When used together, Windows Explorer Search and Windows Live Photo Gallery make the best picture management tools I have seen. And my Pictures folder currently contains 173,814 Files across 2,764 Folders...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #5
Jangofett

Win7Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
...with the exception that on Windows XP, the images displayed are more cramped and harder to see than on Windows 7.
I would ve settled for a 'No, theres no way to change it...', yknow?

Dude, stop downplaying it. The win7 folder tumbnail preview is botched, it s right there for everyone to see. If it suits your needs, fine but stop telling me the sky is green ok.

Furthermore, I specifically said I m not interested in any additional software to get around it.

Also, in that same screen space you d get 6 folders with quad thumbs showing in XP as compared to only two in win7. That is if you bother to disable the side panel in XP of course.

Blowing up the win7 folders in size like that just to get no additional benefit is just lol. Despite how cheap screen realestate has become today, I ll pretend I never read that suggestion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #6
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Tell me why did you bother with Win 7 if you want to turn it into a glorified edition of an almost obsolete OS

If you are so concerned then return to your beloved XP, and let us carry on looking to the future,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #7
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jangofett View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
...with the exception that on Windows XP, the images displayed are more cramped and harder to see than on Windows 7.
I would ve settled for a 'No, theres no way to change it...', yknow?

Dude, stop downplaying it. The win7 folder tumbnail preview is botched, it s right there for everyone to see. If it suits your needs, fine but stop telling me the sky is green ok.

Furthermore, I specifically said I m not interested in any additional software to get around it.

Also, in that same screen space you d get 6 folders with quad thumbs showing in XP as compared to only two in win7. That is if you bother to disable the side panel in XP of course.

Blowing up the win7 folders in size like that just to get no additional benefit is just lol. Despite how cheap screen realestate has become today, I ll pretend I never read that suggestion.
No need to get your wand in a twist. I was only trying to help. Perhaps my advice would be of service to others who are reading this thread.

But you did ask for a solution:

Quote:
Is there a hack/tool/whatever around someplace that will let me fix Windows Explorer tomake it useful to me once again?
You asked for a TOOL or WHATEVER to make it useful again - hence I suggested Windows Live Photo Gallery to be used together with Windows Explorer.

You also wrote, in a later post:
Quote:
The Win7 way of doing this is just looks over functionality and will most likely have me move back to XP rather than going 3rd party software for something that was already in the OS before.
Windows Live Essentials is NOT 3rd Party software. It's a Microsoft program suite that was originally bundled together as part of Vista, but became a standalone optional download for Windows 7 in order to allow for more frequent updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #8
Orbital Shark

 
 

Also, if you have multiple images in a folder and you want just 1 image as the folder preview you can copy and paste an image (will appear as (2) or .copy) and rename it folder.jpg

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1784
Size:  14.0 KB


OS


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #9
angeltread

 
 

that last way is how i like to do it.
but if you have a landscape framed pic instead of the vertical portrait pic. then a quarter of the pic is obstructed by the folder flap.
what i hate about it is that the angled view is visually unpleasing to how i want to look at a photo... even in thumbnail form.
the flat, 2d view on the folder was the better way. its irritating that going to that way is not even an option in 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #10
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dzomlija View Post
Windows Live Essentials is NOT 3rd Party software. It's a Microsoft program suite that was originally bundled together as part of Vista, but became a standalone optional download for Windows 7 in order to allow for more frequent updates.
I think it was more of an anti-trust issue. I haven't seen any evidence of frequent updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Explorer Window folder thumbnails disappearing
Thank you in advance for reading and offering potential help. I actually located the exact same problem another poster posted in these forums (see below URL). However, his problem "just fixed itself" before he really began to do much troubleshooting. ...
General Discussion
Explorer Window folder thumbnails disappearing
This started suddenly after I turned my desktop pc off before going away for a week. When I came home and turned it back on, it hasn't been "normal" since. When I start my computer, go to my user folder, documents etc., all appears fine. Folders/thumbnails and images within the folder appear as...
General Discussion
How can I disable Folder Content Preview but not Pictures Thumbnails?
Hi, I need your help. Please guide me through this trouble. I searched the web but I could not find anything useful. I need to have folder content preview disabled on my machine but I still need to have pictures as thumbnails instead of icons. What do I need to do? Please note checking...
General Discussion
XP-Style Folder Thumbails in Explorer
Hello I'm just curious to know if this is possible (either with settings built into W7 or a third-party program). If we cast our memories back to Windows Explorer in XP, I remember that if you right clicked a folder (directory), properties and then 'customize' you could set the folder icon to...
Customization
Folder pic thumbnail preview (XP style?)
Is there a way to make the folder icons look like the windows XP folder icons, where the folders are flat instead of skewed, and showed 1 to 4 picture thumbnails? Its awfully difficult for someone like me who has a huge amount of categorization to find what he is looking for due to the lack of...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Explorer can't save folder and preview panes
Windows 7 Explorer can't save folder and preview panes' size when maximized. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ge8pwpMDGA Is there a way to fix it? ShellFolderFix is no good for that. I've been searching regedit with no success.
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App