Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What happen these icons?

05 Dec 2010   #1

windows7 Ultimate SP1 x32bit
 
 
What happen these icons?

Can you tell me what happen these icons? Are there any software for rebuild these icons. I can manually rebuild that icons using properties>Change icon. But sometimes more-than 10 icons show this error so at that time its very difficult.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Do you mean the "blank" icons for the "installer" files? I guess the extension of these files is not recognized by Windows for some reason, i.e. they are not associated with any program. Sometimes you download an executable and it already contains an icon and so Windows uses that one. Maybe this behavior is turned off on your system or these particular files do not carry any icons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You can try Rebuilding the Windows Icon Cache to sort this out.

And it may be a longshot, but downloading an installing updated graphics drivers may also help. I had a icon display problem also, where icon in my Start Menu and Taskbar displayed the generic blank page with the windows logo. Oddly enough, when I downloaded and installed the latest Catalyst drivers for my ATI graphics, the problem went away.

You can get drivers here:

nVidia Graphics
ATI Graphics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Dec 2010   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

First of all, do a System Restore to an earlier date; and then read rest of the post .

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by killer bee View Post
Can you tell me what happen these icons?
Your third party disk cleaner killed those . Which one do you use and how aggresive your cleaning settings are ?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by killer bee View Post
Are there any software for rebuild these icons.
There is no simple program that can do it , coz they are no longer in the system . But Using Resource Hacker you may try to fix those . And if you dont change the cleanup settings , they will be killed in the next run again .
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by killer bee View Post
I can manually rebuild that icons using properties>Change icon. But sometimes more-than 10 icons show this error so at that time its very difficult.
Great news ! Usually in such a situation the properties > change icon button is grayed out . At a glance , the programs which puts some files in C:\Windows\installer are affected by this cleanup. Some of the programs are Adobe Reader, MS Office etc . If it allows you to fix the icon via propetties > change icon, do it . Coz all the other ways to fix it is much more difficult .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #5

windows7 Ultimate SP1 x32bit
 
 

Quote:
Great news ! Usually in such a situation the properties > change icon button is grayed out . At a glance , the programs which puts some files in C:\Windows\installer are affected by this cleanup. Some of the programs are Adobe Reader, MS Office etc . If it allows you to fix the icon via propetties > change icon, do it . Coz all the other ways to fix it is much more difficult .
No buddy i can do this method any program.
If i click that shortcut they properly work. Only problem is there appearance change. That program still in my PC. I'm not uninstalled them. Only problem is there icon picture missed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #6
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

I know that you have not deleted the programs . Unfortunately the icons are deleted . Again I am happy that the properties > change icon button is working there ; coz generally it does nt work in this situation, at least as far as i have seen it in SF .

Download the attached zip, extract it in a real location . Now change the icons manually . Please post back with result (coz I am really curious with the situation there ) .


Attached Images
  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Uninstaller.zip (97.7 KB, 8 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #7

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

As previously mentioned, if this happens to random icons there's a very good chance files have been removed from the C:\Windows\Installer folder. Usually by using a third party cleaner. CCleaner followed by Glary Utilities are two of the gentler cleaners that I've used/use.

Worth checking first:
Right click on the offending icon and check its properties. Where does it say to "Start In" and "Target". Although these should be right as the shortcuts work.
Click the change icon button and make note of the initial opening file address. If it's third party software and it opens with shell32, the original icon source file is missing. Do the repair.

If you click on the offending programs in Control Panel/Programs and Features do you get an option to repair? If not try running the programs installer again (without uninstalling) to repair the set up. If it is down to missing files in the installer folder it will replace them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fimble View Post
As previously mentioned, if this happens to random icons there's a very good chance files have been removed from the C:\Windows\Installer folder. Usually by using a third party cleaner. CCleaner followed by Glary Utilities are two of the gentler cleaners that I've used/use.

Worth checking first:
Right click on the offending icon and check its properties. Where does it say to "Start In" and "Target". Although these should be right as the shortcuts work.
Click the change icon button and make note of the initial opening file address. If it's third party software and it opens with shell32, the original icon source file is missing. Do the repair.

If you click on the offending programs in Control Panel/Programs and Features do you get an option to repair? If not try running the programs installer again (without uninstalling) to repair the set up. If it is down to missing files in the installer folder it will replace them.
A valuable post And Ccleaner dont create such problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Remember what I said the other day:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by killer bee View Post
Yesterday accidentally i clicked "IObit Toolbox"....
"IObit Toolbox" ,Fixed media player option re-register windows media player ".DLL" and ".OCX" files.

Be careful with "accidental" clicks on programs like that.
Chances are, all it does would be making you a regular in the problems section


If you must, from now on use CCleaner (but stay away from the registry cleaning option)

-DG
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #10

windows7 Ultimate SP1 x32bit
 
 

Thanks all of you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What happen these icons?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What happen these icons?
Thread Forum
problem with icons on taskbar (wrong icons or missing icons) Performance & Maintenance
What will happen? Installation & Setup
Does this happen to others as well? Chillout Room
What will happen when... Chillout Room
What do you think will happen next? Chillout Room
has any one had this happen Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33