Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Special Win7 multi-boot config. problem


05 Dec 2010   #1

Win7 Home Prem. 64 OEM
 
 
Special Win7 multi-boot config. problem

Greetings,

Many weeks ago I built a new desktop system around an Intel Clarkdale i5-650 and Asus motherboard. Installed a newly licensed copy of Windows 7-64 Home Premium OEM. After weeks of installing programs, configuring, etc, I find that Windows 7 is not the system on which I choose to place primary reliance.

I'm used to multi-boot with legacy Windows, allows me to do standalone backups, etc with common partitioning software. I now need XP Pro and my Windows 7 in multi-boot config.

My Windows 7 now occupies 2 partitions on one of my 2 new HD's. I need to install XP and consolidate Windows 7 into the standard single partition (not necessarily in that order).

Is there any way to get to XP/Windows 7 multi-boot without re-installing Windows 7?

I have 2 500gb SATA HD's, Partition Wizard, etc to work with.

Thanks,
P

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Dec 2010   #2

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

I am using the Method Two in the tutorial I posted. The Easy BCD software gives you a "Boot screen" choice after bios screen to choose Windows 7 or XP.

Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #3
Microsoft MVP

 

When you have separate HD's it is best to Dual Boot via the BIOS Boot Order or one-time BIOS Boot Menu key which every computer and mobo has.

This keeps the HD's independent to come and go as you please.

To achieve this unplug your Windows 7 HD when you install XP, set it first to boot in BIOS setup.

After XP install, power down to plug in the Windows 7 HD, set preferred HD as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then boot the other OS as needed by using one-time BIOS boot menu key.

Have you considered running XP in a virtual machine in Windows 7 until you can resolve the issues you have with it? Many programs and drivers can also be installed and run in Compatibility Mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Dec 2010   #4

Win7 Home Prem. 64 OEM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

I am using the Method Two in the tutorial I posted. The Easy BCD software gives you a "Boot screen" choice after bios screen to choose Windows 7 or XP.

Mike
Some details, please.

You have executed Method 2? Did you start with 2 Windows 7 partitions? If so, what was done with the infernal 100mb partition??

Thx,
P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #5

Win7 Home Prem. 64 OEM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When you have separate HD's it is best to Dual Boot via the BIOS Boot Order or one-time BIOS Boot Menu key which every computer and mobo has.

This keeps the HD's independent to come and go as you please.

To achieve this unplug your Windows 7 HD when you install XP, set it first to boot in BIOS setup.

After XP install, power down to plug in the Windows 7 HD, set preferred HD as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then boot the other OS as needed by using one-time BIOS boot menu key.
In the past, I've stored bootable partitions on 1 HD, and backups thereof on the 2nd drive. It's worked pretty well.

Also am having trouble finding any "one-time BIOS boot menu key" on my system.
Is there another name for it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Have you considered running XP in a virtual machine in Windows 7 until you can resolve the issues you have with it? Many programs and drivers can also be installed and run in Compatibility Mode.
I would choose to avoid emulation whenever possible, prefer to make native use of my hardware. Also, my Windows 7 Home Prem. supports not XP emulation.

Thx,
P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

The Boot menu Keys for Asus are ESC, DEL, or F8
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Special Win7 multi-boot config. problem




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Special Win7 multi-boot config. problem
Thread Forum
HP Pavillion multi-boot problem BSOD Help and Support
2 Boot folders; Single Boot Config Performance & Maintenance
multi boot linux problem General Discussion
Config.sys in win7 General Discussion
removing win7 64 from multi boot system Installation & Setup
RocketDock Win7 Display Special Action Software
Very aggravating net config in win7 / vista Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33