Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Renaming folder ONLY in Libraries view

09 Dec 2010   #1
Backdraft

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Renaming folder ONLY in Libraries view

Hey all,

So I finally got around to recognizing the use of the Libraries feature in Windows 7, and can't believe I didn't realize it earlier.

Anyways, my question is, I have 2 folders in a Library with the same name (but point to different locations), basically they contain the same files but one resides in My Dropbox and one resides on my local HD. When I rename a folder in Libraries (to distinguish btwn the 2), it also renames that folder in the actual folder location. I was wondering if I could ONLY rename the folders in the Libraries view, without having it reflect on the actual folder name.

Also, I was wondering if any of you have used the Libraries feature as an Application Launcher (ie. creating different Libraries for Programs, Games, etc.), and would like to know how that works/worked out.

Thanks, love the forum.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2010   #2
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Backdraft View Post
Hey all,

So I finally got around to recognizing the use of the Libraries feature in Windows 7, and can't believe I didn't realize it earlier.
You'd be surprized how often I hear that!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Backdraft View Post
Anyways, my question is, I have 2 folders in a Library with the same name (but point to different locations), basically they contain the same files but one resides in My Dropbox and one resides on my local HD. When I rename a folder in Libraries (to distinguish btwn the 2), it also renames that folder in the actual folder location. I was wondering if I could ONLY rename the folders in the Libraries view, without having it reflect on the actual folder name.
No.

If you rename a folder or file in a library, then it gets renamed in whichever drive it's on also. It's like this because a Library is only a consolidated view of various locations.

You only alternative would be to use different folder names, or leave it be as it is now.

Sorry...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Backdraft View Post
Also, I was wondering if any of you have used the Libraries feature as an Application Launcher (ie. creating different Libraries for Programs, Games, etc.), and would like to know how that works/worked out.

Thanks, love the forum.
Interesting idea.

I suppose you could create a new library that points to a folder containing nothing but shortcuts to the relevant programs...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2010   #3
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

You could create a desktop.ini file for one of the folders you then would add:
Code:
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=SPECIAL_NAME_HERE
This only changes the display of the folder name, not the actual name.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Dec 2010   #4
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
You could create a desktop.ini file for one of the folders you then would add:
Code:
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=SPECIAL_NAME_HERE
This only changes the display of the folder name, not the actual name.
I should have thought of that.

@BackDraft, just remember that if you use the DESKTOP.INI method suggested by LogicEarth, the actual folder names don't change - just how they are displayed.

You can also specify an icon to use, just to differeniate it from "normal" folders:

Code:
 
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=SPECIAL_NAME_HERE
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-235
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Renaming folder ONLY in Libraries view




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Folder view settings changing after I select the view I want
I keep all of my folders in Large Icons view but sometimes they revert to 'Details' view on their own! How do I get them to stay in Large Icons view permanently?
General Discussion
Help!!! How can I view folder sizes in view details?
This is something that has puzzled me for ages. I open a directory which has some sub-directories and some stand-alone files. I do view details. The file sizes are displayed, but the folder sizes are not displayed. In order to find a folder that doesn't match size with the source, I have to go...
General Discussion
switching from Quick view back to Folder View
Hi All. Baffled again by Microsoft's incomprehensible format... Set up a quick view this morning, (stupid move) and now cannot get back to my account folders view... so for example to view recently sent items, quick view will only allow me to see all 3000 - everything I have ever sent... WHY? ...
Browsers & Mail
Libraries View
Hey Guys, I seem to have mucked up the view of my Libraries and I dont know how to get it back to normal. Here's a couple of pictures to explain what I'm onabout :) Correct View http://i.imagehost.org/0487/Correct.jpg
Music, Pictures & Video
If I change the view of one folder, the view of all folders changes?!?
For example, if I change the view of one folder to "large icons" or to "list" or whatever, then ALL of the folders will have that view. But I want specific folders to have specific view types. How can I accomplish this?
Customization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App