Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How much diskspace for windows partition???

14 Dec 2010   #1
blackdot

desktop: win7 professional x86, laptop: win7 prof. x64
 
 
How much diskspace for windows partition???

I felt confident about giving my windows partition 30Gb of diskspace. Now, and suddenly i have only about 200mb's left. Why the hell does windows use so much space? And why is its need for space growing and not constant?

Are there any backup/update/something-files i can dump? Here a screenshot of my diskspace-usage




Attached Thumbnails
-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Dec 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blackdot View Post
I felt confident about giving my windows partition 30Gb of diskspace. Now, and suddenly i have only about 200mb's left. Why the hell does windows use so much space? And why is its need for space growing and not constant?

Are there any backup/update/something-files i can dump? Here a screenshot of my diskspace-usage
As you add programs and updates the size does grow. 30 Gigs is on the small end for a win 7 OS partition.

Doubtful that there is any backups in that partition because it is too small.


Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #3
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello blackdot, welcome to Seven Forums!



Have a look at this tutorial at the link below to see if it will get you some space back; 30GB is not nearly enough space for the OS and installed programs/apps.

How to Free Up and Recover Hard Drive Space
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2010   #4
Sardonicus

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I use 50Gb for OS, but that's because I have a large drive.
You could get away with 25Gb, 35Gb or 40Gb.
It all depend upon what you're installing.
If you have more than one partition, you may want to use partitioning software to increase the size of the OS partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #5
blackdot

desktop: win7 professional x86, laptop: win7 prof. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello blackdot, welcome to Seven Forums!



Have a look at this tutorial at the link below to see if it will get you some space back; 30GB is not nearly enough space for the OS and installed programs/apps.

How to Free Up and Recover Hard Drive Space
thanks, there were some tricks i didnt know. i guess with the sync-files i can save some Gb's. Or is it possible to tell him, that he shall not put synced files on C: ?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
As you add programs and updates the size does grow.
Well i recognised that. Isnt there a way, that every file a program brings is installed where i order it to insteady of messing up my windows partition?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p5bdkw View Post
I use 50Gb for OS, but that's because I have a large drive.
You could get away with 25Gb, 35Gb or 40Gb.
It all depend upon what you're installing.
If you have more than one partition, you may want to use partitioning software to increase the size of the OS partition.
If i use such a software i dont need to reinstall windows? that would be great, because it sucks to install all programs and drivers all over again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #6
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Have a look at this tutorial at the link below for some ideas and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.


Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #7
blackdot

desktop: win7 professional x86, laptop: win7 prof. x64
 
 

thank you, i will look into that.

Btw, thank you all for those ultra-fast replies .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #8
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

You're welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #9
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

When you install software, it defaults to the C: drive (where the OS is).

In my case, I have a 60GB SSD and am limited on space, so I install to my E: drive, which is a much larger HDD. You can change this (filepath) when you install anything.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #10
blackdot

desktop: win7 professional x86, laptop: win7 prof. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
When you install software, it defaults to the C: drive (where the OS is).

In my case, I have a 60GB SSD and am limited on space, so I install to my E: drive, which is a much larger HDD. You can change this (filepath) when you install anything.

~Lordbob
I do this. I even changed the default-install-path in the registry, as sometimes programs dont ask where they are wanted to be installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How much diskspace for windows partition???




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows lost partition letter and don't recognize format partition
Hi, I have a question. I formatted a partition of my harddrive but in the end not only a partition was formatted but the next partition also was gone. Meaning: the data is still there, but the NTFS partition isn't recognised anymore by Windows, and in diskmanager the space is now ready to...
BSOD Help and Support
Partition C(windows partition) loses space very fast - why?
Hi! I know you are probably tired of this complaint, but I really don't know what to do anymore. I already have some folders belonging to some games "dirlinked" in other places; also, the XP MODE files are linked to another partition. I know you can't tell what exactly is causing my C to get...
Performance & Maintenance
Diskspace trouble
Hello! Im sorry if i post this in an wrong section but what ever. Ive recently seen that my diskspace has gone down like 1gb per day without me doing anything. I seems its strange since an while i had like 650gb of space and now its only 570gb. What could cause this? Ive not downloaded any...
Hardware & Devices
how di I move files to clear diskspace
I need to clear up some diskspace by moving lots of picture and movie files to an external hard drive. On xp and previous you just right click and move them. On seven it is not so simple it seems. In help it tells you 30 ways to do everything else. so someone please let me in on this little...
Performance & Maintenance
Not enough diskspace?
Trying to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Ultimate; I have read a bunch of the threads here... but none seem to apply to me; as I have 493MB free. I even tried increasing the space on my recovery partion by 20 MB in-case that's where Win 7 was trying to instal... nothing. Everything I...
Installation & Setup
Computer DiskSpace
how do i install more internal memory because 140gb isn't much and whats it's name so i can buy it on amazon
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App