Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn


15 Dec 2010   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn

Hello everybody,

I had a new laptop stolen tonight, while sitting at a counter. I had transferred most of my programs and data to this new computer. The O/S is Windows-7 64bit

Access to the programs and data visible on the desktop is proteced only by the Windows login password window.

Any advise as to how "protective" this first layer is??

Many thanks,

Paul

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

well you might have locked it for someone who doesnt know any better but any smart thief that knows his business with computers laptops or desktops hand held etc would reformat the drive and put his own version to the lappy

But that is only suggesting the person who took it knows what they are doing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Unfortunately, not very.
It's like having your front door locked. It will stop the novice but not the pro.

If you have sensitive personal info on the laptop you should take steps now to protect your identity and your accounts.

A long shot: Google : "Access webcam remotely" and navigate towards tech and gov't sites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Dec 2010   #4

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Thanks Guys,
I'm not woried about someone who would reformat the drive and replace with whatever O/S the $%$# would choose.
I am worried about data files contained in the HDD. If the Windows-7 "Log-In" can be bypassed and then access to say Microsoft Money then I would have a problem. Depends on how easy it is to get right to the data.
Thanks anyway... I'll keep changing passwords and hope for the best

Paul
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #5

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

If they have physical access to the laptop, it's trivial to change the password (or erase it) and log in to it. The only thing you can do is hope that they don't know how to do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #6

WDS 7 Home Pre.x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jPaulB View Post
Thanks Guys,
I'm not woried about someone who would reformat the drive and replace with whatever O/S the $%$# would choose.
I am worried about data files contained in the HDD. If the Windows-7 "Log-In" can be bypassed and then access to say Microsoft Money then I would have a problem. Depends on how easy it is to get right to the data.
Thanks anyway... I'll keep changing passwords and hope for the best

Paul
Next time around ..You better off getting Ultimate Version that comes with BitLocker
will be safer .
Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn-12-15-2010-3-14-25-pm.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #7

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Time to change any account passwords that you can think of also emails related to any accounts as im afraid i dont agree with the posts above.

Cut it short any one can google up the right tool to unlock your whole laptop trust me its out there and everywhere

As for personel data such as credit cards details and other stuff i would report your card/s stolen that way they cant be used online yes its a pain but a pain is better than your credit geting smashed online.

Not wanting to say haha tough luck but it might be wise to keep all important data on a usb stick never on a machine just so if you ever lose your machine you keep your identity.

And i hopw they catch the dirdy mother:@?><^s they need there fingers choped off

http://tinyurl.com/2av9jnt

take a look at the link above but i get the feeling its no use to you now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

In the future, put a BIOS password on your laptop.
At the very least use the user password, but even better would be the supervisor password.

It is extremely hard to break a BIOS password as far as I know.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
In the future, put a BIOS password on your laptop.
At the very least use the user password, but even better would be the supervisor password.

It is extremely hard to break a BIOS password as far as I know.

~Lordbob

That would requiire full system erase and probally still wouldn't be able to use it cause the bios is locked pretty damn genius if you ask me LordBob is showing up again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
In the future, put a BIOS password on your laptop.
At the very least use the user password, but even better would be the supervisor password.

It is extremely hard to break a BIOS password as far as I know.

~Lordbob

That would requiire full system erase and probally still wouldn't be able to use it cause the bios is locked pretty damn genius if you ask me LordBob is showing up again
That's how I have mine locked up.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Stolen Laptop vs Windows LogIn
Thread Forum
Solved Reset stolen bios on laptop Chillout Room
I got my laptop stolen! What should I do. General Discussion
!! Restored image of windows, now wont login, login service error!! General Discussion
stolen laptop. devastated General Discussion
My Work laptop was stolen(this is so not good) General Discussion
my laptop was stolen Chillout Room
Google App. For Tracking Stolen/Lost Laptop ? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33