Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can W7 handle large #s of files?


14 Jun 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
[solved] Can W7 handle large #s of files?

I did some data recovery and pulled over 8 million "files" from an external HD.

Searching 'mp3' and 'doc' I verified there are many valid files on my internal drive.

However, when I try to copy them back the window disappears after about 5 minutes of "preparing to copy" and there is nothing on the drive when I look.

It feels like my system is getting bogged down because of the absurd # of files! I can't even right click -> properties to see exactly how many are on there. It starts going really slow and I get impatient after about 8 million.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jun 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
I did some data recovery and pulled over 8 million "files" from an external HD.

Searching 'mp3' and 'doc' I verified there are many valid files on my internal drive.

However, when I try to copy them back the window disappears after about 5 minutes of "preparing to copy" and there is nothing on the drive when I look.

It feels like my system is getting bogged down because of the absurd # of files! I can't even right click -> properties to see exactly how many are on there. It starts going really slow and I get impatient after about 8 million.
Welcome windows especially 64 bit can handle huge amounts file/folder/ the slowdown may be either it is using up your memory or maybe the hard drive cant keep up. You could either use Acronis or ghost to back them up to one space. Or failing that try doing it in small chunks.;

Let us know if you need more help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #3

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

synchronize it! is a kick-ass tool

Downloads -- Grig Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Jun 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

I found a folder with a ton of files and they are all tiny .vob files so seem to be useless.

First time i tried to delete it got over 250,000 before saying 'too large for recycle bin - delete?' I said yes but its still on there.

2nd attempt at deleting it stuck at 111,501 items and just sitting there with HD light on but no visual progress for at least 15 minutes now.

I'll check those programs out i guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
deleting large numbers of files

First thing you could try is to set the recyler size to 0 on that drive. they will be deleting them permanently. then when those files are gone set it back to its before size.

Hope that helps but if it doesnt pm me

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

OK the sync program from Grig's files is running now.

Assuming this works, what application should I tell my friend to view/access them with?

I'm worried that picking through all this junk will be nightmarish for him to get the files he needs. He is likely using XP or Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #7

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
First thing you could try is to set the recyler size to 0 on that drive. they will be deleting them permanently.
holding Shift + Delete will accomplish the same thing.

joe7dust what data recovery software did you use to recover the files? It is possible that many of them are corrupt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
app to access

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
OK the sync program from Grig's files is running now.

Assuming this works, what application should I tell my friend to view/access them with?

I'm worried that picking through all this junk will be nightmarish for him to get the files he needs. He is likely using XP or Vista.
Why not give me some more info. Is this a corrupt disc, a disc with too much stuff on it. What happened before, whats happening now, where do you want to be>


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

He backed up his data to an external HD, then accidentally deleted it. (he doesn't know how many GB but said it was 50,000 files and from what R-Studio says its at least 30GB)

The biggest mistake was then copying some more files over to the external. I think some of the deleted ones got overwritten. (about 20GB was copyed onto the external again)

Since this was a brand new drive I told him it would be a cleaner recovery from it rather than his internal that was reformatted and reinstalled OS onto.

*edit* That syncing program has run for 1.5 hours and scanned 2.5 million files so far @ 8GB worth. If it takes 6-8 hours total to prep for the sync, how long do you think the actually copy process will take?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

2.5 hours @ 24GB now should be almost done, don't expect more than 40GB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can W7 handle large #s of files?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can W7 handle large #s of files?
Thread Forum
How to stream large files Network & Sharing
CRC errors with large files... Hardware & Devices
How do I identify large files on my HDD? Performance & Maintenance
File too large to handle Gaming
cannot copy large RAR/ISO files General Discussion
Copying Large Files General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33