Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Explorer "Preparing to recycle'

19 Dec 2010   #1
Joe925C

Windows 7 Pro
 
 
Windows Explorer "Preparing to recycle'

A strange problem with specific .wav files. Several audio files brought into Adobe Audition 1.0. Edited and saved in two different folders. Several but not all exhibit the problem but not all.
Problem: Start WE; select folder with wav files in question. The directory list field on top immediately starts with a green bar slowly exapanding towards right. Next to the cursor arrow there is the "busy" rotating circle. Cannot get any properties on the wav file; however, the two docx files in same folder can be copied, properties shown and basically seem ok for use. Noticed that the data definitions above the listing for the two error folders are: name...#....artist.....albums whereas for all other folders it is: name......date modified.....type....size. All other wav files in other folders appear as they should and can be processed like any other file. So it is only several of the 10 Audition 1.0 edited audio files that have created the problem. I cannot delete these files. While the green bar is expanding to the right and when it completes its extension still have the "wave" running along the bar. When I try to delete an offending file I get another window "Preparing to recycle" window with "Discovering items". "More Details" show: Name: is blank; From: is blank; Time remaining: calculating; Items remaining: calculating; Speed: calculating. I let this run for 11 minutes and it just kept "calculating". Another "interesting" thing is after the first time I encounter this problem, close WE and then bring up WE again the left panel shows only Favorites and Library (no computer list). When the cursor is in this panel I get the rotating circle. In any other panel, only the cursor. I can "place the Library in another window" and now with two windows I get the normal favorites, library and computer in one of them. If I restart the PC I can again start WE ok and run ok if I do not select a "bad" folder. Same problem exists if I start the PC in "safe mode". Any ideas on how to delete the wav files causing the problem?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Dec 2010   #2
Johnathan Lyman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

This is torture with a headache so I'm going to break it up and answer as I go.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joe925C View Post
A strange problem with specific .wav files. Several audio files brought into Adobe Audition 1.0. Edited and saved in two different folders. Several but not all exhibit the problem but not all.
Problem: Start WE; select folder with wav files in question. The directory list field on top immediately starts with a green bar slowly exapanding towards right.
like normal...
Quote:
Next to the cursor arrow there is the "busy" rotating circle. Cannot get any properties on the wav file;
How big are these WAV files?
Quote:
however, the two docx files in same folder can be copied, properties shown and basically seem ok for use. Noticed that the data definitions above the listing for the two error folders are: name...#....artist.....albums whereas for all other folders it is: name......date modified.....type....size.
Because Windows saw the audio files and assumed you want to organize them like music.
Quote:
All other wav files in other folders appear as they should and can be processed like any other file. So it is only several of the 10 Audition 1.0 edited audio files that have created the problem. I cannot delete these files. While the green bar is expanding to the right and when it completes its extension still have the "wave" running along the bar. When I try to delete an offending file I get another window "Preparing to recycle" window with "Discovering items". "More Details" show: Name: is blank; From: is blank; Time remaining: calculating; Items remaining: calculating; Speed: calculating. I let this run for 11 minutes and it just kept "calculating".
Sounds like the files are corrupt and Windows DERPs when it sees them.
Quote:
Another "interesting" thing is after the first time I encounter this problem, close WE and then bring up WE again the left panel shows only Favorites and Library (no computer list).
Sounds like a Windows corruption issue, now. I had this problem when my HDD freaked and skipped. It corrupted the most random stuff it seemed but it just didn't play the same until I re-installed Windows. It was like my PC had a stroke.
Quote:
When the cursor is in this panel I get the rotating circle. In any other panel, only the cursor.
Trying to think about how to display whatever you want to see, but is DERPing (technical word!) and not doing much.
Quote:
I can "place the Library in another window" and now with two windows I get the normal favorites, library and computer in one of them. If I restart the PC I can again start WE ok and run ok if I do not select a "bad" folder.
Good idea.
Quote:
Same problem exists if I start the PC in "safe mode". Any ideas on how to delete the wav files causing the problem?
Boot into a non-windows environment and delete the files (using a boot cd/USB like Hiren's Boot CD or Ultimate Boot CD. Something with those files or that whole folder is making Windows crap it's pants and not let it clean up. It might be safe to say that your HDD may have problems all in it's own.

After you clean up, run "chkdsk /f /r" in a command prompt and see if it comes back with anything. If it's clean, download a copy of HD Tune and see if IT sees anything. Something is happening to corrupt those files and send Windows in a tailspin. I'd almost bet my cat that something is corrupt on that hard drive.

(it's late. Sorry if that made no sense)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2010   #3
Joe925C

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Jelyman,
Thanks for your reply. The WAV files in question (there are only two but each set was placed in several folders. They are between 200 and 220 MB each. In the meantime her is what I have done. I added new folders to the main directory. Able to cut all (e.g., docx, tif, etc) files to the new folders leaving the offending wav files alone. Can now access the files in the new folders without problems. Replaced Audition 1.0 with V3.0. Brought in the recorded files from the recorder and edited them in V3. All these files work fine (they are placed in the new folders) so this appears to be that editing in V1.0 created the problem since I have no problem with other wav files. Since I can now operate ok as long as I don't access the "bad" folders the urgency is mitigated for now. Later on I will take your suggestion about the non windows environment to delete the offending files. Thanks for your advice.
Joe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

Reply

 Windows Explorer "Preparing to recycle'




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Preparing to configure windows" Message EVERY time I boot up
Hi all. Every time I boot up my computer (Win7 home premium 64-bit), I get the message that says "Preparing to configure windows", right after this, I get the "Configuring windows updates" message where it shows the progress from 0-100% before it loads windows 7. This has been happening all...
Windows Updates & Activation
Reboot loop during "Preparing to configure Windows" - Can't safe mode
Hello, I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop, completely stock with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed. Windows has recently installed some updates and when it rebooted it showed the "Preparing to configure Windows - Do not turn off your computer" Same as this but after about 10-20 seconds it...
BSOD Help and Support
Can not delete file just says preparing to recycle
Hello, I have found that some files on an external HD will not transfer across when I try to move them to my laptop I get an error about that particular file. As it turns out I don't actually need this file anymore so I tried to delete it however when ever I try to click on the file it doesn't...
General Discussion
Adding "Empty the Recycle Bin" to the explorer toolbar globally?
does anyone kno of a registry hack/edit that will allow me to place an "Empty the Recycle Bin" explorer toolbar button similar to the one located inside the Recycle Bin's folder, across all my folders globally? picture below to illustrate: http://i.imgur.com/Mezpi.png
Customization
Recycle bin stuck on preparing to delete, calculating... for 6 hours!
Hi All. Hoping you can help me. I have 60k files in my recycle bin, and like any eco warrior... I want to recycle! So I click 'empty recycle bin' and after asking me if I'm sure, which I am, it goes to preparing to delete... calculating... and doesn't progress. I've given it more than 6...
General Discussion
"Preparing to Recycle from Discovering items"
Here is a super tough question for all.Why does the deletion of favorites all of a sudden take a prolonged time(about minute) to delete and all the while displaying this odd window?Window states"Preparing to recycle from discovering items" It's not even logical language.Deletion of other files does...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App