Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fluorescent Light Makes Device Disconnect Sound


27 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit-HP OEM SP1 Installed
 
 
Fluorescent Light Makes Device Disconnect Sound

Got kinda a off the wall one here: With my recent purchase of my new Windows 7 computer I added a fluorescent light above my workstation. Its around 21" long and mounted about 3 feet above my monitor and PC. Sometimes when I first turn on the light I hear the "bong-bong" sound of the device disconnect sound from the PC. This does not happen every time but I would say about 60% of the time it happens. I do not see any indication than something actually "unmounted" but this does have me stumped. I know a fluorescent light does put out a frequency but I have not heard of anything like this. I have stopped using the light for not until I can figure out if it is actually interfering with anything. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by techmonkey74 View Post
I know a fluorescent light does put out a frequency but I have not heard of anything like this. I have stopped using the light for not until I can figure out if it is actually interfering with anything. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
I think you've answered your question. The problem-causing thing is the fluorescent light. For some reason, flurorescent light causes touchscreens to lag and touch-pens miscalibrate too.

Why is the fluorescent light causing this problem? That I have no idea. But it may be related to what you mentioned about fluorescent lights giving out a frequency.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by techmonkey74 View Post
Got kinda a off the wall one here: With my recent purchase of my new Windows 7 computer I added a fluorescent light above my workstation. Its around 21" long and mounted about 3 feet above my monitor and PC. Sometimes when I first turn on the light I hear the "bong-bong" sound of the device disconnect sound from the PC. This does not happen every time but I would say about 60% of the time it happens. I do not see any indication than something actually "unmounted" but this does have me stumped. I know a fluorescent light does put out a frequency but I have not heard of anything like this. I have stopped using the light for not until I can figure out if it is actually interfering with anything. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
This is not strange at all; I have seen this happen many times when the light is close to the computer.

Fluorescent lights product IR so if your computer has an IR port on it that is why you will have issues, I have seen the lights interfere with the auto light sensors on monitors or laptops, some web cameras have issues as well. Typically you can change the color temperature of the light and resolve the issue. Many times the lights that have a color temperature of 6300K have fewer issues. If that does not work increasing the distance from the light and the computer maybe the only absolute fix. -WS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit-HP OEM SP1 Installed
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by techmonkey74 View Post
Got kinda a off the wall one here: With my recent purchase of my new Windows 7 computer I added a fluorescent light above my workstation. Its around 21" long and mounted about 3 feet above my monitor and PC. Sometimes when I first turn on the light I hear the "bong-bong" sound of the device disconnect sound from the PC. This does not happen every time but I would say about 60% of the time it happens. I do not see any indication than something actually "unmounted" but this does have me stumped. I know a fluorescent light does put out a frequency but I have not heard of anything like this. I have stopped using the light for not until I can figure out if it is actually interfering with anything. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
This is not strange at all; I have seen this happen many times when the light is close to the computer.

Fluorescent lights product IR so if your computer has an IR port on it that is why you will have issues, I have seen the lights interfere with the auto light sensors on monitors or laptops, some web cameras have issues as well. Typically you can change the color temperature of the light and resolve the issue. Many times the lights that have a color temperature of 6300K have fewer issues. If that does not work increasing the distance from the light and the computer maybe the only absolute fix. -WS
Thanks for the info!, I will double check but I don't think my computer has a IR port but obviously the light is causing some sort of interference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2010   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar;1149929
[COLOR=#323232
This is not strange at all; I have seen this happen many times when the light is close to the computer.[/COLOR]

Fluorescent lights product IR so if your computer has an IR port on it that is why you will have issues, I have seen the lights interfere with the auto light sensors on monitors or laptops, some web cameras have issues as well. Typically you can change the color temperature of the light and resolve the issue. Many times the lights that have a color temperature of 6300K have fewer issues. If that does not work increasing the distance from the light and the computer maybe the only absolute fix. -WS
+1. Fluorescent lighting lighting emits a significant amout of "noise" in the near infra-red range of the electromagnetic spectrum. This can impede the flawless operation of IR receivers.

IR recievers typically work in the 980nm range, but the sun, for example, emits energy at the 980nm range too (thats why you can have difficulty using your TV remote to change channels in a very sunny room).

The solution is to use a cooler fluorescent tube as WindowStar suggests. My suggestion is something cooler than 6300 Kelvin (the colour temperature closest to natural sunlight).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fluorescent Light Makes Device Disconnect Sound




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Fluorescent Light Makes Device Disconnect Sound
Thread Forum
How to find Device Disconnect event in Win7 logs? Hardware & Devices
My PC makes the "Connect/Disconnect" sound Hardware & Devices
Connect/Disconnect Device General Discussion
switching between user profiles makes wlan disconnect Network & Sharing
System Event - Changing sound makes a sound, how to mute it? Sound & Audio
Disconnect sound out of the blue Sound & Audio
Device disconnect sound BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33