Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Screen Resolution changes scrambles my icons

29 Dec 2010   #1

7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Screen Resolution changes scrambles my icons

Hi All,
My screen resolution changes from the default setting for my monitor (Toshiba TV 1360x768) to 1024x768 usually. It's very annoying and scrambles my icons all over the desktop. After searching Google I found a reccomended registry fix which I did and it seemed to stabilize things for a while but now is back to doing the same thing. I rechecked the registry settings and they are as I had them. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

1360X768 (Decimal) = 550X300 (Hex) Changed both below:
X Resolution to 550
Y Resolution to 300

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{F92BFB9B-59E9-4B65-8AA3-D004C26BA193}\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{F92BFB9B-59E9-4B65-8AA3-D004C26BA193}\0000\Mon12345678

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you..........Tom







My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums. Since we're talking about the resolution on your TV and not a monitor. I would reccomend you download the program Powestrip. It allows for many adjustments on your TV's and might be worth a try.
PowerStrip - Download Download is at the btoom of the page.

It may require being installed in XP compatibility mode. Compatibility Mode

Here's a quick and easy guide on how it works and what is avalible.
Powerstrip Guide for the powerstrip impaired
Hope this will help.
Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #3

7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Thank you for the reply. I'm running windows 7 64bit and I don't think the solution you recommended is appropriate (I may be wrong), but this seems to be a configuration issue because I can get the perfect resolution I need, it just will not stay after and only after the computer goes to sleep. If I turn the computer on & off everything is fine. It's only sleep mode that affects the resolution change.
Any other suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks........Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Dec 2010   #4

WDS 7 Home Pre.x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by odatkid View Post
Thank you for the reply. I'm running windows 7 64bit and I don't think the solution you recommended is appropriate (I may be wrong), but this seems to be a configuration issue because I can get the perfect resolution I need, it just will not stay after and only after the computer goes to sleep. If I turn the computer on & off everything is fine. It's only sleep mode that affects the resolution change.
Any other suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks........Tom
OMG ..I had this same "extremely annoyed" problem with my vista pc ..
(Only when waking up from sleep)
So far nothing fixes this yet "I was hoping Sp2 will fix it ...guess not.."
Good Luck Budd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #5

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Is your TV an actual monitor or are you just using it as one? I ask because if it is specified to be used as a monitor, the vendor usually puts drivers out for it that can help with such issues.

Does the scramble also happen when you unhook from the tv/monitor and then hook it back up? I would check to make sure the tv/monitor has the input set as PC input. Are you using a DVI, VGA, or HDMI cable?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2010   #6

7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
Is your TV an actual monitor or are you just using it as one? I ask because if it is specified to be used as a monitor, the vendor usually puts drivers out for it that can help with such issues.

Does the scramble also happen when you unhook from the tv/monitor and then hook it back up? I would check to make sure the tv/monitor has the input set as PC input. Are you using a DVI, VGA, or HDMI cable?
Thanks for the reply Fabe.
My TV has a VGA input which I am using and the input is set to PC. Toshiba has no drivers available and I only use it as a monitor and not as a TV (I don't have cable or anything else plugged into it). There must be a setting in Windows 7 that resolves this issue. Very frustrating.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #7

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

There are a number of bugs associated with Windows 7 not coming out of sleep mode properly. They are often specific to certain combinations of hardware/BIOS/Software etc. No way to give you specific advice on your combination.

You can have a look through this lot:

Sleep - Microsoft TechNet Search

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #8

7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
There are a number of bugs associated with Windows 7 not coming out of sleep mode properly. They are often specific to certain combinations of hardware/BIOS/Software etc. No way to give you specific advice on your combination.

You can have a look through this lot:

Sleep - Microsoft TechNet Search

Regards....Mike Connor
Hi Mike,
Thank you for the reply. I'll check the link and if I learn of a fix I'll let you know.
Thanks again.......Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #9

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

My pleasure, hope you find a fix.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Screen Resolution changes scrambles my icons




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33