Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System32 ownership


30 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
System32 ownership

I took ownership and full control of the system32 folder. my question is, can i change it back to the default setting trustedinstaller-owner? Is it possible or not? Can a system restore help?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CheyPR View Post
I took ownership and full control of the system32 folder. my question is, can i change it back to the default setting trustedinstaller-owner? Is it possible or not? Can a system restore help?
Why do you want to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CheyPR View Post
I took ownership and full control of the system32 folder. my question is, can i change it back to the default setting trustedinstaller-owner? Is it possible or not? Can a system restore help?
Why do you want to?
How about because he shouldn't have changed it in the first place?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CheyPR View Post
I took ownership and full control of the system32 folder. my question is, can i change it back to the default setting trustedinstaller-owner? Is it possible or not? Can a system restore help?
Yes, a System Restore to a point before you made the change will fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Pro/32 Academic. Build 7600
 
 

Yes, I agree, change it back immediately.
TrustedInstaller - Restore as Owner - Vista Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Yes, I agree, change it back immediately.
TrustedInstaller - Restore as Owner - Vista Forums
thanks to all of you for the help. i took ownership of the system because i was customizing my windows7 (icon, themes, etc.). this tutorial was very specific and i change it back manually because if my guess is ok it would change back the default theme and icons of the original windows7. I'm I right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CheyPR View Post
I took ownership and full control of the system32 folder. my question is, can i change it back to the default setting trustedinstaller-owner? Is it possible or not? Can a system restore help?
Why do you want to?
How about because he shouldn't have changed it in the first place?
Lousy reason. He obviously changed it for a reason.

There doesnt have to be deleterious effects.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #8

 

didn't even think it was possible, haha.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CheyPR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Yes, I agree, change it back immediately.
TrustedInstaller - Restore as Owner - Vista Forums
thanks to all of you for the help. i took ownership of the system because i was customizing my windows7 (icon, themes, etc.). this tutorial was very specific and i change it back manually because if my guess is ok it would change back the default theme and icons of the original windows7. I'm I right?
Changing the ownership will not revert it back to the "before" state but a system restore will do both.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brady View Post
didn't even think it was possible, haha.
Its easy and one way around doing it is to add your own user name to trusted installer group.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System32 ownership




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: System32 ownership
Thread Forum
is system32/root/system32.exe a virus? System Security
Two System32 Folder General Discussion
What are the risks of Taking Ownership of System32? General Discussion
Help regarding System32 and ownership, Windows 7 Home Premium General Discussion
can't run programs from system32 with CMD General Discussion
corrupted system32. General Discussion
Let <system32\startup.exe> run on 64-bit? Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33