Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Some Odd Things In Startup Config And Other Problems. Need Help.

30 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Some Odd Things In Startup Config And Other Problems. Need Help.

I'm on my friends laptop because he had loads of viruses and things and had never run any maintenance of any kind (didn't even have a firewall) and it got to a point where it wouldn't even load the desktop, so i tried to fix it up as best i could. I used Malwarebytes and found like 127 viruses, free'd up 15GB of space with CCleaner, and am now running a defrag. He's using Vista, not Windows 7 sorry, hoping that won't matter though. Went on here because i'm already a member.

First major problem is i can't update windows. I read about the internet and it sounds like it's a really bad virus that will require a reinstallation of Windows to get rid of it. Any thoughts on that?

The weird things i've found in the startup config just look like random letters. They're all in System32 and labelled things like 'fvvppk', 'vkkfvv1', 'avkkfv' etc. I typed these into google and got no results. Any idea what they are?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SonicBrewtality View Post
I'm on my friends laptop because he had loads of viruses and things and had never run any maintenance of any kind (didn't even have a firewall) and it got to a point where it wouldn't even load the desktop, so i tried to fix it up as best i could. I used Malwarebytes and found like 127 viruses, free'd up 15GB of space with CCleaner, and am now running a defrag. He's using Vista, not Windows 7 sorry, hoping that won't matter though. Went on here because i'm already a member.

First major problem is i can't update windows. I read about the internet and it sounds like it's a really bad virus that will require a reinstallation of Windows to get rid of it. Any thoughts on that?

The weird things i've found in the startup config just look like random letters. They're all in System32 and labelled things like 'fvvppk', 'vkkfvv1', 'avkkfv' etc. I typed these into google and got no results. Any idea what they are?

The only way to be sure that he is malware free is to format and re-install windows 7. That will fix the problem with the updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #3
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello mate.



If you can find any Vista installation DVD you could do a clean install of the exact same version the PC shipped with, to the lappy and use the activation key on the COA sticker attached to the PC though it may take a robo-call to MS to sort the OEM batch key but that's easy.

How to Activate Vista by Phone Activation



As Ken has said, it would be best to wipe (secure erase) the entire Hard Disk Drive first, have a look at this tutorial.

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Dec 2010   #4

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Might also want to write over the drive....some viruses can survive a format....also any external drives, usb sticks, ect, ect, he used are also suspect....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2010   #5
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

You may want to have a look at this second tutorial I linked.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ivan the SoSo View Post
Might also want to write over the drive....some viruses can survive a format....also any external drives, usb sticks, ect, ect, he used are also suspect....
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mate.



If you can find any Vista installation DVD you could do a clean install of the exact same version the PC shipped with, to the lappy and use the activation key on the COA sticker attached to the PC though it may take a robo-call to MS to sort the OEM batch key but that's easy.

How to Activate Vista by Phone Activation



As Ken has said, it would be best to wipe (secure erase) the entire Hard Disk Drive first, have a look at this tutorial.

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2010   #6

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Ok thanks. I'll let him know his options
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Some Odd Things In Startup Config And Other Problems. Need Help.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Some Odd Things In Startup Config And Other Problems. Need Help.
Thread Forum
config.nt problems. getting old games to run Gaming
Strange Letters under startup system config General Discussion
writing a program that boots on startup to do a short list of things Software
Wifi connection problems, tried so many things already. Network & Sharing
router problems after web server config Network & Sharing
Update Error in startup config! Windows Updates & Activation
Things that should happen upon startup Themes and Styles

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33