Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: post install questions

18 Jun 2009   #1
tonyk

i can tell you what its NOT
 
 
post install questions

[going to vent a little, just so its out there] i got this bad boy installed, and i was expecting that it was like vista, but stable, so my co workers told me. my iphone just wanted to update to OS3, and when it gets into firmware install, i get BSOD. i get BSOD every, oh, 2-3 minutes when i'm using the computer. appearently theres a lot of people that cant use itunes on W7.

and..wth. 60+ processes, and (right now, just firefox running) 977mb of memory used. this was supposed to be "lightweight" compared to vista.

and trend micro anti-virus doesn't work either.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jun 2009   #2
antalgebra

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Build 7268.0.090701-1900
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tonyk View Post
[going to vent a little, just so its out there] i got this bad boy installed, and i was expecting that it was like vista, but stable, so my co workers told me. my iphone just wanted to update to OS3, and when it gets into firmware install, i get BSOD. i get BSOD every, oh, 2-3 minutes when i'm using the computer. appearently theres a lot of people that cant use itunes on W7.

and..wth. 60+ processes, and (right now, just firefox running) 977mb of memory used. this was supposed to be "lightweight" compared to vista.

and trend micro anti-virus doesn't work either.

Ok, lets not install any antivirus. As others have mentioned in this forum, antivirus programs are like viruses within themselves. removing them is a horrible task, they drain memory and CPU very heavily, and are never up to date. Let's stay away from those for now.

Your friends are right, Win7 is extreemely lightwieght, efficient, and quick. and yes, you should have between 50-70 processes at any given time, all allocating their own PrivateWorkingMemory Set; but should be using almost 0% of your CPU after a couple seconds. Assuming your on 4 GB RAM, and using 64 bit, your memory should hold steady at 1.1GB, but will be surrendered if any programs are launched that require it.

Most Apple products dont like to be ran on Beta sets; and you can blame Apple for that, for their responsible for their own drivers.

If your still on Beta (can you post your build?) their are alot of problems with programs that dont have specific drivers for W7 yet; just kinda gotta wade through them. But make sure your installing a build that matches your architecture (x86/a64), and with the latest W7 you can get your hands on (Theres 7228 floating around, that'd be yur best bet)

if your REALLY up for it, I highly recommend trying out OfficeXIV(14) also, its badd-ass.

These are my thoughts, let us know answeres to the above, and if you continue to see this behavior

Thanks,
Daniel
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2009   #3
Orbital Shark

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
Ok, lets not install any antivirus. As others have mentioned in this forum, antivirus programs are like viruses within themselves. removing them is a horrible task, they drain memory and CPU very heavily, and are never up to date. Let's stay away from those for now.
+1 but i do have Avast! running & it's taking up a whole 13MB (ish) of memory & no CPU, so it's no problem even with my 768MB
Quote:
Most Apple products dont like to be ran on Beta sets; and you can blame Apple for that, for their responsible for their own drivers.
+2 always the way with Apple, they have their own OS so the need for Windows support gets outweighed by OS X version.....9,999,999 i think LOL
Quote:
If your still on Beta (can you post your build?) their are alot of problems with programs that dont have specific drivers for W7 yet; just kinda gotta wade through them. But make sure your installing a build that matches your architecture (x86/a64), and with the latest W7 you can get your hands on (Theres 7228 floating around, that'd be yur best bet)
+3 I think 7227 was the last stable (complete ISO) that was x64 leaked. You may want to try the 'converted' 7232 which is basically complete 7232 with 7100 installer.
Quote:
if your REALLY up for it, I highly recommend trying out OfficeXIV(14) also, its badd-ass.
+4 Office 2010 is the mutts nuts

My 2 pence too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

Reply

 post install questions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Install questions
i had laptop toshiba statellite l500d it came with win vista when win 7 come out, my friend give me win 7 CD and i install it in "C drive" but somehow my internet network only work with win xp so i decide to install win xp in "D drive" i used the software call abandon to wipe win 7+vista in my...
Installation & Setup
Same old 32/64 pre-install questions
Hey folks.. I may be covering some old ground here, but I haven't quite found the answer I was looking for so here goes: I'm currently running a WinXP 32 bit/WinVista 64 bit dual boot on a Gateway FX 6000. I have to do this since a program I run for business (Pro Tools) won't run at all in the...
Installation & Setup
Questions about post W7 upgrade
Hi all once again. On my laptop i have a limited amount of HD space i currently have 37 gb free of a 160 gb drive. After i upgrade to W7 is there any way i can delete my old vista files? and if so where would they be located and is it safe to delete them?
Installation & Setup
install questions
Hello I needed to replace my stock 120 gb with a 320gb/7200rpm planning on doing a clean install! HDD upon install will windows automatically create the recovery partition? if so My question is answered. if not How do I Create this I did back up using acronis true image but to an external HD....
Installation & Setup
Re-install Questions
Hello all....:) I'm wondering if/how I would go about reinstalling Windows 7 on my dual boot (single HDD). I mostly want to for the experience of doing it but I don't really want it to mess up the Vista partition. Would I just boot from the installation DVD with 7 on it and point it to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App