Been using Win 7/64-bit only for a couple of weeks since picking up a new PC (Acer Aspire m5400) at Christmas.
It was running great out of the box, but in this past week it has started to act up. There are several problems which I hope are all associated.
I had a look at this thread
because it seemed to show some of the symptoms that I'm seeing, but that user has a Dell, and the thread was never resolved.
Here's what's wrong:
* constant keyboard interrupt, about every second (for example, if I type within the run/open box, I only get a couple of letters entered before the text is automatically highlighted, so it's subsequently erased as I continue to type)
* screen saver never kicks in
* non-active windows "flash" on the desktop (for example, the chrome browser I'm using is solid blue along the top of the window when active, but when it's no longer in the forefront, it turns grey, as expected. But then will flash between blue and grey repeatedly)
* if I right-click on the desktop, and select 'personalize', it brings up the personalization settings. As I use the middle mouse wheel to scroll down through the themes section, every second, it will jump back up to the top of the window.
* start menu acts really odd -- for example, I click on Start, then All Programs. Once I click on a folder (i.e. Accessories), the subfolder opens briefly, and then the Start menu closes on its own. Same goes if I hit the Start button, and then click on the arrow next to 'shut down' -- nothing happens, the Start menu just closes)
When this first began to happen last week, I did a system restore back several days, which didn't seem to work at first. But then it seemed to fix itself. I know this sounds odd but that's the best way I can explain it. But it's cropped up again, and I'm not sure if I should step back through several more restore points to see if any recent Windows updates have lead to this problem.
Under text services and input languages, my keyboard is listed as:
* Canadian multilingual standard
* Canadian French
Then there's a 2nd section called "Other" and it lists:
* Ink Correction (64 bit only)
As I said, this was working fine out of the box... so I'm stumped! Acer has no specific driver that I can download to see if this is the issue. Also did a full virus scan and nothing has cropped up.
Thanks for any assistance.