Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Serious problem: A disk read error occurred


10 Jan 2011   #11

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
[This doesn't count?
Quote:
Sure, if you want to give him something very complicated to work with. Do we even know if he knows what Linux is?
! Yes, it's much less complicated to have him crack open his still under warranty laptop! Let's add to his troubles by voiding his warranty and telling him to put his laptop in pieces...

James

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jan 2011   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
[This doesn't count?
Quote:
Sure, if you want to give him something very complicated to work with. Do we even know if he knows what Linux is?
! Yes, it's much less complicated to have him crack open his still under warranty laptop! Let's add to his troubles by voiding his warranty and telling him to put his laptop in pieces...

James
Removing the hard drive does not require "cracking" anything open and doesn't void warranty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2011   #13

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Dear Jay 10,
Hello there! The prob. i noticed on my Toshiba Satellite L300 just now,nicely dovetails with what you're experiencing!

To Tveblen,
I have a self-assembled desktop which (touch wood) is doing fine and the lappy has a WD internal HD (320 GB) bought in 2009.I noticed a mesage on the lappy screen 30 minutes back that "25 sectors have been re-allocated on the HD" and when i ran the Acronis Disk Monitor the "health" was 47% (supposed to be at least >70%). The "heat exhaust" is located on the left side laterally as i sit in front of it and thus i have placed a cooler fan to push in air from the bottom. I am mentioning all this to rule out whether an over-heated disk over a period of time could have been the cause!
The desktop has a Extn.HD (Seagate) and "UNFORTUNATELY THE LAPTOP DOES NOT HAVE ONE"(sorry for the bold type)! As Shakespeare said"the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" fits my case to the T.

Now my query to you and James Colbert is ,"can i connect the seagate Extn.HD to the laptop and download all the SEVEN backups of the laptop drive(sort of C,D TO E DRIVE & C,E TO D DRIVE ON THE FAILING LAPPY DISK) on an urgent basis, b'cause we know that it's only a matter of hours or a few days before the HD calls it quits!
Thanks a lot for reading my elaborate post! One final take on the "Bumper stickers"! Saw a cool one--->DO NOT STEAL, THE GOVT. HATES COMPETITION". These stickers divert our attention and we all know that a momentary lapse in concentration is enough to cause catastrophies! A very knowledgeable signature indeed!
Thanks & Regards,
Sreedhav.

PS: i use Macrium-Reflect free for backup and restore and i have recently downloaded the WD Backup Wizard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Jan 2011   #14

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sreedhav View Post
,"can i connect the seagate Extn.HD to the laptop and download all the SEVEN backups of the laptop drive(sort of C,D TO E DRIVE & C,E TO D DRIVE ON THE FAILING LAPPY DISK) on an urgent basis, b'cause we know that it's only a matter of hours or a few days before the HD calls it quits!
sreedhav, welcome. 3 conditions:

1) assuming that the laptop has a connection to accommodate the ext. drive
2) Also assuming that the Ext. drive has enough room to accommodate the amount of data you wish to copy
3) Assuming that the laptop HD lasts.

Before doing so, I recommend shutting the laptop down, allowing it to cool. When you start it up to attempt the copy, use your cooler and make your environment as cool as possible. If worse came to worse, and the copy fails to complete, I have heard of cases where placing the failing HD in the freezer for a period of time has helped, but you may want to take measures to prevent condensation (i.e., wrapped in towel, placed in ziplock).

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2011   #15

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
[This doesn't count?
Quote:
Sure, if you want to give him something very complicated to work with. Do we even know if he knows what Linux is?
! Yes, it's much less complicated to have him crack open his still under warranty laptop! Let's add to his troubles by voiding his warranty and telling him to put his laptop in pieces...

James
Removing the hard drive does not require "cracking" anything open and doesn't void warranty.
You could be right (re:warranty). A quick search turned up similar information. Helpful, and actually contextual.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #16

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sreedhav View Post
,"can i connect the seagate Extn.HD to the laptop and download all the SEVEN backups of the laptop drive(sort of C,D TO E DRIVE & C,E TO D DRIVE ON THE FAILING LAPPY DISK) on an urgent basis, b'cause we know that it's only a matter of hours or a few days before the HD calls it quits!
sreedhav, welcome. 3 conditions:

1) assuming that the laptop has a connection to accommodate the ext. drive
2) Also assuming that the Ext. drive has enough room to accommodate the amount of data you wish to copy
3) Assuming that the laptop HD lasts.

Before doing so, I recommend shutting the laptop down, allowing it to cool. When you start it up to attempt the copy, use your cooler and make your environment as cool as possible. If worse came to worse, and the copy fails to complete, I have heard of cases where placing the failing HD in the freezer for a period of time has helped, but you may want to take measures to prevent condensation (i.e., wrapped in towel, placed in ziplock).

James
Dear James Colbert,
Thanks for the ultra-fast and useful reply!
1) Gonna check if i can connect!
2) The Desktop Extn.HD ( Seagate Free Agent Pro ) with has 750GB space and more than 500 GB is free!
3) I have read many times to chill the HD! On a lighter note (no, i am real serious), i have a big freezer, can i keep the lappy in it?

huge thanks and a reply please!
sreedhav

3)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #17

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Dear James Colbert,
I could/did connect the Extn.HDD to the lappy via usb and the transfer of the backed up data is on!
The "IDEA" of chilling the lappy worked! I did'nt have the tools nor the expertise to unscrew the grooves on the underside of the lappy and time was of prime importance as YOU SO RIGHTLY POINTED OUT! So,trusting my instincts, i placed the laptop in the DEEP FREEZE for 20 minutes and removed it from there.

I, then transferred it to my air-conditioned den with the AC in full blast and all this hardware Black-magic must have brought the failing HD out of the Intensive Care Unit!What say?
Thanks a bunch,

will keep you posted.
DR.Sreedhav.

PS: What a tangled mass of wires hanging behind the desktop! One needs Sherlockian expertise to follow the path of a power cable and/or a usb cable! Right now i am massaging my aching back!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Why are you guys telling him to make changes in his BIOS when his hard drive is clearly failing? The more changes he makes, the less likely it is that he will be able to recover any data from the drive.
Retrieving the data first is sound advice. Good call.

But there is always a possibility that the drive can be recovered (hope springs eternal). The first step in that process is to see if the drive is recognized in the BIOS. That's all I was asking the OP to do.
Check - not change.

The most hopeful scenario is that the MBR is damaged or the active partition has changed. But there is no point in trying those methods if the drive is not recognized by the PC.

More along these lines here:
Solution for "A disk read error occurred." - Hard-Disks - Storage
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #19

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Why are you guys telling him to make changes in his BIOS when his hard drive is clearly failing? The more changes he makes, the less likely it is that he will be able to recover any data from the drive.
So if I make any changes in the boot priority list, it might mean that some of my files might get deleted?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
To the OP, you should remove the drive from the laptop, and using a USB cable or enclosure that you can order online or purchase in a computer shop, connect it to another computer. From there, you MAY be able to retrieve your files.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. I have to basically open my laptop and take the internal hard drive out. How do I connect it to another computer? You mention a USB cable, but as far as I know the internal hard drive can't be connected to that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #20

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Hello Jay10, welcome.

The Toshiba on IDE0 is your hard drive, recognized in bios. You could try the manufacturer recovery disks (if you made them, but you should try the method below to try to save your data first) to see if that will work, but it sounds like the HD is bad. Since the laptop is only a few months old (and if the recovery disks don't work), I recommend calling Acer support and letting them handle it. It should be a warranty situation.

As far as your data, I don't know how computer literate you are, but you could try booting into a live linux CD (doesn't have to be installed to your HD) such as ubuntu, and, if the drive is recognized, you may be able to copy the files to your external drive. The process is not too complicated, and the Ubuntu CD will boot you to a desktop that you should be able to figure out. Here is a link:

Download | Ubuntu

Just be sure not to choose 'Install'.

Let us know how it goes.

James
Thanks.
I'm not that computer literate to be honest. I don't know what a live linux cd is, but will this (and Ubuntu) help me retrieve all my files? As the situation is now I can't even get in to my computer to see what's there.
Can you maybe expand on how to use this file retrieving process?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Serious problem: A disk read error occurred




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Serious problem: A disk read error occurred
Thread Forum
Solved a disk read error occurred no access to SSD- sometimes. BSOD Help and Support
Custom Build. A disk read error occurred. General Discussion
Disk read error occurred. Hardware & Devices
Solved A disk read error has occurred, - after deleting partition Installation & Setup
A disk read error occurred - windows 7 problem Hardware & Devices
A disk read error has occurred but disk can be read Installation & Setup
A disk read error occurred Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33