Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Update W7 RC

24 Jun 2009   #1

Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 32x (7048)
 
 
Update W7 RC

How I can update Windows 7 RC 7100 to new version(mybe 7261) without reinstal programs?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jun 2009   #2

Windows 7 7264x64(main), 7260x86(secendary), XP SP3 Triple Boot
 
 

the latest x86 version is build 7260, you can try upgrading by just inserting the DVD or mounting the ISO file using something like MagicISO and running setup. but chances the upgrade will fail because of the way the ISO file was created using older setup files, it is also recomended to do a clean install from the previews builds. you can do a clean install without formating too, which keeps your data, and just moves the old windows directory to windows.old to use the windows directory for the new installation, hope this helps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by akramh View Post
you can do a clean install without formating too, which keeps your data, and just moves the old windows directory to windows.old to use the windows directory for the new installation, hope this helps
How do you do that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Jun 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
How do you do that?
I believe if you do a clean install from within the OS, it just makes a Windows.old folder in C:/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #5

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
I believe if you do a clean install from within the OS, it just makes a Windows.old folder in C:/
Oh, I thought you could only do upgrades from within the OS. I only do clean installs with formatting when I install OS's these days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Win7User512 View Post
Oh, I thought you could only do upgrades from within the OS. I only do clean installs with formatting when I install OS's these days.
Thats how I do it as well. =P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

It's the other way round, install from boot and chose your existing Windows 7 partition and install without formatting and it will then give you the Windows.old folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mr GRiM View Post
It's the other way round, install from boot and chose your existing Windows 7 partition and install without formatting and it will then give you the Windows.old folder.
Oopsies, my bad. It is located in the C:/ dir after clean install right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #9

Windows 7 7264x64(main), 7260x86(secendary), XP SP3 Triple Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
Oopsies, my bad. It is located in the C:/ dir after clean install right?
I did a clean install and selected my system parition for the old installation ( C:\ Drive) and it moved the old windows into windows.old directory, here is a screen shot attached that shows the location of the directory, no format was neccessary


Attached Thumbnails
Update W7 RC-windows.old.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #10

Win 7, Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by akramh View Post
I did a clean install and selected my system parition for the old installation ( C:\ Drive) and it moved the old windows into windows.old directory, here is a screen shot attached that shows the location of the directory, no format was neccessary

The same in my case.
You can use data from Windows.old, but have to reinstall all programs working in Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Update W7 RC




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33